PDA

View Full Version : left handed shooter with right eye dominance...

TANGOBRAVO13
01-01-09, 01:27 PM
Im 17, and i am joining the Marines nexy year. I have shot shotguns and small rifles as a kid but not that often. In the past year however i have started shooting a lot more with pistols, and AR-15s. My question is, seeing that i shoot left handed but i recently found out i have right eye dominance, should i learn to shoot right handed before i go to boot camp? I heard that they train you to shoot with your dominant eye, not your hand. Right now i shoot a pistol with my right eye closed and its kind of awkward. So should i start shooting righty with a pistol and a rifle? :flag:

Phantom Blooper
01-01-09, 03:16 PM
Use your right eye dominance... and FILL OUT A PROFILE and READ The RULES! YOU MAY GET MORE ANSWERS!:evilgrin:

joecoul89
01-01-09, 03:20 PM
Your best bet is to not practice shooting. Wait till you get to boot, because they teach you a certain way and they will have an instructor who will fix your problem. The better shooters are the ones who never fired a gun, cause they have no bad habbits to break.

Brig
01-01-09, 03:48 PM
I'm a coach on the Parris Island Rifle Range currently. Don't practice, it's true the one's who never shot are best. We'll be able to correct the dominance thing easily enough

Quinbo
01-01-09, 04:05 PM
Maybe after the profile is fixed I have a few questions and maybe some answers.

Wyoming
01-01-09, 04:35 PM
Maybe after the profile is fixed I have a few questions and maybe some answers.

... exactly, but until then - 1st, you get a broomstick!

SGT7477
01-01-09, 05:34 PM
Your best bet is to not practice shooting. Wait till you get to boot, because they teach you a certain way and they will have an instructor who will fix your problem. The better shooters are the ones who never fired a gun, cause they have no bad habbits to break.

Maybe sometimes, most of our platoon had shooting experience, we came out of the rifle range with top honors or better yet, The Edson Raiders, OOHRAH.:evilgrin:

egbutler1
01-01-09, 05:53 PM
Im 17, and i am joining the Marines nexy year. I have shot shotguns and small rifles as a kid but not that often. In the past year however i have started shooting a lot more with pistols, and AR-15s. My question is, seeing that i shoot left handed but i recently found out i have right eye dominance, should i learn to shoot right handed before i go to boot camp? I heard that they train you to shoot with your dominant eye, not your hand. Right now i shoot a pistol with my right eye closed and its kind of awkward. So should i start shooting righty with a pistol and a rifle?
Read the rules and fill out your profile, but for the fun of it i will give you a freebee.

I shot right for 2 years in the Marines, than figured out that I can shoot left better. My right eye was my dominat eye so when I switched shooting style my eye would tear up a bit. But I shot better left than right but I could shoot both. I never learned how to pull my pistol from the left side so if I wasn't in a hell of a sh!t storm i would switch hands after the draw. Also my best advice is to not try and learn to much about shooting before you go to boot camp, granted some basic knowladge is good. But those who never shot before most of the time tend to do better than those who have alot of experience. Its easier to learn how to shoot in boot camp if you don't have bad habbits to break. As for switching up, I would say do with what is most comfortable for you. If you get threw boot camp and earn the title than you can play around with switching up cause you will get more pratice. It sures hell would suck for you not to qual in boot camp because you switched up. Thats my two cents.

Cpl. Butler, Emerson (0311/0331 OIF Combat vet)