PDA

View Full Version : Brothers home for Christmas

thedrifter
01-01-09, 07:07 AM
Brothers home for Christmas
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
By RYAN ROGERS Democrat News Staff

The holidays took a joyous turn for Barbi Terry of Rector, as she received the best gift she could imagine.

"I had my boys home for Christmas," an excited Barbi exclaimed. "It was the best Christmas I could have had."

Brothers Brian Farley and Brantley Terry, both serving in the United Stats Armed Forces, were able to come home to Rector on leave for the holidays.

"I hadn't been home since August, so it was kind of nice to get back," Brantley said. "It's a slower pace here and it's a nice change for the holidays."

Brian, known as B.K. to nearly all who've met him, was home for a week before leaving Saturday. A 2003 graduate of RHS, he is a Lance Corporal in the Marine Corps currently stationed in 29 Palms, Calif. The 23-year-old joined the Marines in October 2007. He is expected to deploy to Iraq about the middle of March for a seven month mission. B.K. is expected to be among the last group of U.S. troops to head to Iraq, as plans are being made to bring most of the American soldiers home.

Brantley, a 2007 RHS graduate, joined the Army on Aug. 12, 2008. His role in Military Intelligence requires a lot of secrecy surrounding his location and duties.

The choices of the two brothers to seek military careers are a point of pride for their mother.

"I'm so proud of my boys," Barbi said. "We don't come from a military family, so for them to decide to join the military and serve their country was something they both decided on their own. It was something they both wanted to do. They feel good about themselves and that makes me happy. They feel like they make a difference in the world and that makes them and me happy."

The family enjoyed their holiday together, taking part in the many Christmas traditions. Perhaps the most favored part of the holidays by all was enjoying home cooking.

"I literally have a fridge full of food to cook them whatever they want to eat," Barbi said. "I wanted to be able to cook for them because I've missed that."

Barbi wasn't the only one who enjoyed the meals at home.

"It was worth coming back just for the food," Brantley joked. "I've missed my family and my friends. It's good to get back and see everybody."

Brantley will be home until Saturday. He plans to continue spending time with Barbi and his friends.

"We don't have any big plans really," Brantley said. "We're just going to relax some and hang out."

A former member of the Cougar basketball team, Brantley has spent some time in the gym with the current players during his holiday at home. The family also watched the Cougars take part in the 62nd annual NEA Tournament at Jonesboro.

"We had fun watching the Cougars play in the NEA," Barbi said. "We also went to the mall and just enjoyed being together."

The reunion, though brief, has been much appreciated by Barbi.

"With them both in the military, it's not easy for them to both be here at once like this. That's what made it so special. It's been really great having my boys home again."

Ellie