PDA

View Full Version : If I were to re-enlist after 7 years, would I have to go through boot camp again?

webwife1
12-31-08, 12:11 AM
I don't think I would have to, but wanted to find out for sure. I'm sure I would have to do all the screenings and PFT and such, but boot camp is for recruits- not Marines. Am I correct?

Troy00690
12-31-08, 12:50 AM
You would not have to go through boot camp again. depending on MOS you may not even need to go to school again.

Enigmatic
12-31-08, 02:32 AM
Far as I know, you will never have to go through boot camp ever again.

mcvet57103
12-31-08, 07:29 AM
Not Boot, But you might have update your MOS training depending on what it is.

sim37
12-31-08, 11:16 AM
I don't believe anyone who has earned the title would have to go through boot camp again. Has anybody ever heard any exceptions to this?

Maldonado 2060
12-31-08, 11:30 AM
"Once a Marine always a Marine" so Im pretty sure boot is out the question and as for MOS training I always thought to save money the Marine Corps would not retrain you or sometimes not let you re-enlist in a different MOS.

Zulu 36
12-31-08, 11:40 AM
Yep, no boot, although refresher MOS training may be necessary. Also count on additional refresher training in grunt stuff.

webwife1
12-31-08, 11:51 AM
Thank you all for the confirmation.

kentmitchell
01-01-09, 05:55 AM
Good news. I've had an annual dream -- since 1956 -- of being back in boot camp. I wake up in a sweat every time.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-01-09, 08:02 AM
LOL. No, you don't have to do recruit training all over again. I re-enlisted in 1997 after being 'out' since 1989 and no recruit training was required.

However, it's likely you'll end up with a new MOS unless yours is extremely 'in demand' or something. A prior service recruiter will be able to tell you for sure.

mgkusmc
01-01-09, 12:42 PM
See I heard from a guy who was a DI in the mid 90s that every once and a while they would get a Marine who had been out for about 5 or more years in their platoon just for Third Phase, I had never heard of anything like that before.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-01-09, 12:49 PM
I don't think that's EVER been policy. First time I've heard that one.

mgkusmc
01-01-09, 01:01 PM
I don't think that's EVER been policy. First time I've heard that one.

Exactly, I had never heard of it either.

Gunner 0313
01-01-09, 01:08 PM
See I heard from a guy who was a DI in the mid 90s that every once and a while they would get a Marine who had been out for about 5 or more years in their platoon just for Third Phase, I had never heard of anything like that before.

:flag: LMFAO. Did he ask you to go on a snipe hunt too. LOL. Sounds like a "12th general order" deal.

NoRemorse
01-01-09, 01:11 PM
Can you volunteer to go through boot again? My wife yells at me but it's just not the same.

tripledog
01-02-09, 08:08 PM
"Can you volunteer to go through boot again? My wife yells at me but it's just not the same"

Are you married to my exwife? She would fry a D.I. !!!!!!!!!!

NoRemorse
01-02-09, 08:11 PM
"Can you volunteer to go through boot again? My wife yells at me but it's just not the same"

Are you married to my exwife? She would fry a D.I. !!!!!!!!!!

I asked her, she got real quiet like and said she don't talk about those times no more. Then I made the mistake of eyeballing her.

Then she said I called her a female sheep and that my sheep fockin ass better get out of her face.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are!

Marine1955
01-02-09, 10:30 PM
you know the only way you will know is to talk to your recuiter or officer and see what they say..... if they say no!! then it's OK.. if not then you night have to do some boot camp time too get in shape. but check it out first,don't count on someone saying you don't when you might have too.P.S. SEMPER FI, BRO WE STILL CARE FOR ALL OF OUR BROTHERS OUT THERE

Petz
01-02-09, 10:34 PM
LOL. No, you don't have to do recruit training all over again. I re-enlisted in 1997 after being 'out' since 1989 and no recruit training was required.

However, it's likely you'll end up with a new MOS unless yours is extremely 'in demand' or something. A prior service recruiter will be able to tell you for sure.

not a PSR... a normal recruiter for active duty.... a PSR is for going into a reserve unit.

Twitchell
01-03-09, 02:33 PM
I was told if I am able to reenlist that I don't need to go through boot, but would have to do ITB over again cause of all the changes.

When I was in boot, there was a guy that went back through with us that had only been out like 5 years. We did'nt even know till after word. But I don't know what the sircumstances were!

echo3oscar1833
01-03-09, 05:52 PM
I would highly doubt that you would have to go through bootcamp, due to the fact that you already earned the title. Plus it just something I have never heard of.

However it does bring up an interesting question. What if a Marine who went through boot camp, did an enlistment, got out and decided to reenlist after 5 or more years? What would it be like for that Marine, as technically he is not a recruit? In what manner would the DI's treat this individual? How would the respect level be from his fellow recruits, and the DI's. These are some very interesting scenarios if you think about it. Any thoughts.:D

My initial thought would be "Super Guide" lol :D

Maldonado 2060
01-03-09, 06:14 PM
I would highly doubt that you would have to go through bootcamp, due to the fact that you already earned the title. Plus it just something I have never heard of.

However it does bring up an interesting question. What if a Marine who went through boot camp, did an enlistment, got out and decided to reenlist after 5 or more years? What would it be like for that Marine, as technically he is not a recruit? In what manner would the DI's treat this individual? How would the respect level be from his fellow recruits, and the DI's. These are some very interesting scenarios if you think about it. Any thoughts.:D

My initial thought would be "Super Guide" lol :D

LOL........That would be crazy. Honor grad. thats a sgt.