PDA

View Full Version : Reserves

natedrake454
12-29-08, 09:54 PM
I've been searching through these forums for an answer but haven't been able to come up with one. From what I understand if you join the reserves you're assigned to a job within 100 miles of wherever you live. Now does that mean where you enlist out of? Or a predetermined location of your choosing? I suppose what I'm getting at is if I enlist out of Sacramento, CA can I choose to have a job in another state so long as I have intention of moving there? Or is my only option to enlist out of that state in the first place?

rvillac2
12-29-08, 11:35 PM
It's not enough to have the "intention" to move there. You have to move there and enlist locally. You are enlisting into a position within a specific unit so you're destination is pre-determined before you even leave for boot.

What are your intentions?

Mindgame
12-30-08, 08:35 AM
When you and your recruiter sit and decide what MOS you want. He will pull out a sheet, with certian MOS's that are available in your area. Then you decide from there. We are gaurenteed a certian MOS, because you are filling a slot with that unit.

As far as trying to get a MOS in a differant area. I would say that is a nogo. You have to have a proof of adress within a certian distance, and be able to prove you are capable of showing up on the weekends.

natedrake454
01-03-09, 10:05 PM
Alright. I've got a proof of address, residence and all in Colorado. I suppose this is something I need to take up with my recruiter though as far as being enlisted out of California. And if that's a no go then I assume my only option is to move and then enlist. Thanks for shedding some light on this for me though.

natedrake454
01-06-09, 04:50 PM
I would just like to update this post, incase any other potential Marines happen to check by and read it. It's taken some hoop jumping and a few phone calls, but it turns out it Is indeed possible to enlist out of one RS for a job in another state.