PDA

View Full Version : 0811

119Wrestler
12-29-08, 06:08 PM
Hey there Marines,

Just some quick questions regarding MOS 0811. When you are in Artillery, what comes after section chief? Like what do you do after you are section chief, are you assigned a new billet?

Thanks

rvillac2
12-29-08, 06:27 PM
Above section chief, is where the infantry company and artillery battery look almost identical. The section chief is equivalent to squad leader. Above that is the platoon sergeant (sgt or ssgt), then battery gunny, then 1sgt. The SNCOs do not have any cannoneer duties. They assist the platoon leaders, XO and CO in the handling of the battery. This includes organizing local security, convoy management, and troop welfare tasks.

Depending on how many billets are open (or not open), sometimes 0811 Sgts take other jobs like Local Security Chief or lead the Advance Party. They can also act as Safety NCO's if they still have them.

(this was one of your better questions. ha ha ha)

119Wrestler
12-29-08, 06:46 PM
haha thanks lol.
So does the job get kind of less exciting once you get past section chief?

rvillac2
12-29-08, 07:07 PM
Well, that's a harder question to answer. I was a section chief and loved it. I also like Saftey NCO, less work but still on the gunline. I personally think that Sgt is the best rank in the Corps. Your close enough to the work to have fun but also ranked enough to control your own space.

I also served a short time as a Platoon Sgt. There's definitely more admin work and you're always around senior SNCOs and officers. It's a lot more challenging, and arguably less fun. However, there's always fun to be found when you're the boss.

119Wrestler
12-29-08, 07:42 PM
oh alright cool, thank you Sgt.
What about Lat moves? Like if you are a Sgt, and then want to become an FO, would that be fairly easy? Or would it be tough to get the lat move to FO.

rvillac2
12-29-08, 11:38 PM
Lat moves are not easy at all. They're not impossible, but not easy.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 12:34 AM
Oh alright. Oh and when you mentioned the advanced party, who is that? Are those 03xxs? Or Arty guys going ahead of the howitzers?

rvillac2
12-30-08, 01:28 AM
Advanced party is all battery personnel. This includes 08's from each gun, some comm guys, and wire guys. There could also be some add'l road guides for the other vehicles.

Sometimes, a squad of infantry can be tasked to provide security.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 01:32 AM
Oh alright thats cool.
Thank SGt

oifvet23
12-30-08, 02:05 AM
let me ask this question, 119wrestler, What does it matter to you, what comes after section chief, your not even a marine yet and your planning your section chief job, OUT Fu(king STANDING

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 02:29 AM
I'm just wondering, i dont know why people here get so pist when people ask stuff. Like I was just thinking and that came to mind, so i searched it, and didn't see any results, so I decided to ask, maybe it would help someone else in the future.

SGT7477
12-30-08, 09:22 AM
I'm just wondering, i dont know why people here get so pist when people ask stuff. Like I was just thinking and that came to mind, so i searched it, and didn't see any results, so I decided to ask, maybe it would help someone else in the future.

Why because Marines are always right, at least you weren't talking Recon.:evilgrin:

NoRemorse
12-30-08, 12:52 PM
Why because Marines are always right, at least you weren't talking Recon.:evilgrin:

He was talking Recon, Sgt. Artillery is the preferred insertion method for our Gung Ho pre-DEP Rambos.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 01:04 PM
Oh yea.... I totally want to be Recon -__-

cw2533
12-30-08, 01:28 PM
Recon is the best outfit in the Corps. Best I had in my 9 years. Oh by the way I also served with Arty as a NGF FO

SGT7477
12-30-08, 01:28 PM
He was talking Recon, Sgt. Artillery is the preferred insertion method for our Gung Ho pre-DEP Rambos.

Don't tell me we have another Gomer Pyle on board,lol.:D

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 01:47 PM
Thats pretty tight, what I meant is I'm not those pooles that just think about Recon 24/7. Yeah Gomer Pyle ...... thats why I have a 300 PFT.

NoRemorse
12-30-08, 01:54 PM
Thats pretty tight, what I meant is I'm not those pooles that just think about Recon 24/7. Yeah Gomer Pyle ...... thats why I have a 300 PFT.

As a wannabee, poolee, recruit and possible boot you will be messed with, pushed, prodded, and made uncomfortable on a constant basis. I'd suggest you lose that attitude before someone comes in and un****s you for replying to Marines in such a manner.

A 300 PFT means you're part of the way there physically. You still have to hump, sound off, low crawl, scale obstacles and sprint with maximum intensity.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 02:30 PM
Yeah I know I'm gonna be messed with, it just seems kinda surprising to me that Marines here are so much different than Marines in person. I have alot of friends in the Marine Corps, and they are way friendlier than some of the ones here. And I mean if I would've done a stupid question like how do I become a Recon Marine or something, then yeah, by all means, Call me stupid and w.e. But my question wasnt even bad, even Sgt. Rvillac said that is was a good question.

NoRemorse
12-30-08, 02:46 PM
Yeah I know I'm gonna be messed with, it just seems kinda surprising to me that Marines here are so much different than Marines in person. I have alot of friends in the Marine Corps, and they are way friendlier than some of the ones here. And I mean if I would've done a stupid question like how do I become a Recon Marine or something, then yeah, by all means, Call me stupid and w.e. But my question wasnt even bad, even Sgt. Rvillac said that is was a good question.

Here's the scoop. You were getting ribbed; not completely hammered like some poolees around here who really rate it. The way you took it and the way you're responding now it too wishy-washy for my liking.

Regardless if you're looking to come here to pick our brains because you want to be a Marine then don't expect us to be friendly like your friends in our beloved Marine Corps. If we're frequenting this area then we want to make sure that questions of merit are answered and that those asking them are squared away or need to get IP'ed. When you get friendly from us that means you've earned friendly.

We can give you the benefit of the doubt but your response to our ribbing makes me less than amenable to that.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 02:52 PM
Well thats how I am with everyone. I'm always sarcastic, I'm not trying to talk back, it might seem like that though.

NoRemorse
12-30-08, 02:54 PM
Well thats how I am with everyone. I'm always sarcastic, I'm not trying to talk back, it might seem like that though.

Then you already know what needs work, carry on.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 02:56 PM
Yeah lol. Thats what made my life suck freshman year in wrestling ..... I should've just shut up. lol
Don't get me wrong, when I'm in Boot camp, or when a higher Ranking Marine is talking to me I wouldn't think of being sarcastic, that would be stupid.

SGT7477
12-30-08, 05:28 PM

Walk lightly, big frickin deal if you have a 300 pft in your civy world that doesn't count in our Marine world, so carry on Gomer.:evilgrin:

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 06:03 PM
What? lol
Isnt 35 pull ups, 150 crunches, and 3 miles in 17:50 a 300? lol

SGT7477
12-30-08, 07:06 PM
You haven't done it in the Marine Corps you say you done it in your world, Carry On Gomer.

ggyoung
12-30-08, 07:45 PM

No let me get this stright you say artillery is preferred insertion method of inserting recon? Now just how do they do that? I mean the 0311's have all ready been there when arty gets to its place to fire. The arty skipper and the battery gunney and there security have gone in with the grunts. (which is what I did on my 1st trip to Vietnam). I can't believe that the Corps would put a battery in a place that the 0311,s have not secured.

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 07:51 PM
Whats the Arty Skipper?

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 07:52 PM
You haven't done it in the Marine Corps you say you done it in your world, Carry On Gomer.

Ok? :scared:

SGT7477
12-30-08, 08:14 PM
Ok? :scared:

Carry On you will do fine.:bunny:

NoRemorse
12-30-08, 08:15 PM
Carry On you will do fine.:bunny:

Lol, that brings joy to my heart. :D

119Wrestler
12-30-08, 08:40 PM
lol..