PDA

View Full Version : Boy donates presents to Toys for Tots in uncle’s memory

thedrifter
12-29-08, 09:13 AM
December 29, 2008
Boy donates presents to Toys for Tots in uncle’s memory

BY FRANCESCA DONLAN
fdonlan@news-press.com

Tyler Haisman, a kindergartner at St. Francis Xavier Catholic School in Fort Myers, asked his parents what it meant to be a saint.

Tina and Paul Haisman explained that it meant doing something good every single day.

They gave him some examples, including giving away your birthday presents to needy children.

That idea stuck.

Last week, at Tyler’s sixth birthday party at the Calusa Nature Center, he gave away his presents to Toys for Tots, which is affiliated with The Salvation Army.

They chose that charity because Tyler’s uncle, Gary Haisman, died as a U.S. Marine in the Persian Gulf War in 1991.

“We really feel connected to the Marines in our love for Gary,” said Tyler’s mom, Tina Haisman. They brought a framed photo of Gary to the party.

All of the guests knew that Tyler’s gifts would be donated to charity.

“The response from Tyler’s friends was overwhelming,” Tina said. “I counted 31 gifts. We were really surprised.”

Two Marines, Pfc. Martin Nozar and Pfc. Dagan Trevino, came to the party as well.

They would deliver the presents to The Salvation Army.

“We have a lot of respect for the men and women who serve our country and it all tied together so wonderfully,” Tina said. “When the two Marines arrived, the room literally fell silent.”

One of the people who stopped talking was Pam Haisman, Gary’s mother and Tyler’s grandmother.

“That lump was in my throat when I saw those two Marines,” Pam said.

She felt proud of the young men who were fresh out of boot camp and getting ready to serve the country, she said. She also felt pride about her tiny grandson, who invited them to his extraordinary birthday party.

“Giving away his presents was the most selfless thing for a 6-year-old to do,” she said.

Tyler enjoyed his party and meeting the Marines.

“It felt good because I was giving my presents away,” he said. “I was giving them to the needy children so they can have Christmas presents.”

It was a memorable day for all of them.

“The whole thing was full circle,” Tina said. “The relationship with the Marines, and our son’s learning about the true meaning of Christmas. It was wonderful.”

Ellie