PDA

View Full Version : A typical morning PT session at recruit training?

Andrew09
12-28-08, 11:07 PM
More specifically, I'm just wondering how many miles you guys ran during PT in the mornings? I'm in the habit of running 3-5 miles every other morning and I want to know if I should be doing more like 5-10 miles? Running is my weakest part of the PST, I'm working hard at it -- averaging about 7 minute miles.

Enigmatic
12-28-08, 11:20 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with a 7 minute mile. Thats pretty damn good. You really don't have PT in boot camp. I mean, yeah, you're getting IT'd every single day and there's not many easy days but as far as a PT session, you dont really do them much. The most you'll ever run at once will probably the "Moto run" you do right before graduation, and thats only like 4 miles.
Don't worry about distance, concentrate more on your times. Like I said, 7 minute miles are awesome, 6 minute miles would put you at 18:00 3 mile run time. Perfect.

Andrew09
12-28-08, 11:29 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with a 7 minute mile. Thats pretty damn good. You really don't have PT in boot camp. I mean, yeah, you're getting IT'd every single day and there's not many easy days but as far as a PT session, you dont really do them much. The most you'll ever run at once will probably the "Moto run" you do right before graduation, and thats only like 4 miles.
Don't worry about distance, concentrate more on your times. Like I said, 7 minute miles are awesome, 6 minute miles would put you at 18:00 3 mile run time. Perfect.

Alright, thanks. The advice is appreciated.

RBags
12-28-08, 11:43 PM
You will be in the front of the pack with those times no doubt. You are in alot better shape than most entering PI

Andrew09
12-28-08, 11:51 PM
I was fixing to sign a SEAL challenge contract before deciding I wanted to be a Marine, so I was holding myself to pretty high standards I guess.. from the way you guys are talking it sounds like I won't have any problems at Paris Island.

Enigmatic
12-29-08, 12:01 AM
I was fixing to sign a SEAL challenge contract before deciding I wanted to be a Marine, so I was holding myself to pretty high standards I guess.. from the way you guys are talking it sounds like I won't have any problems at Paris Island.

Oh no...we're saying you're not going to have any problems when it comes to running in Parris Island. Never would I say you're not going to have any problems, period. There will be problems.

Andrew09
12-29-08, 12:11 AM
Oh no...we're saying you're not going to have any problems when it comes to running in Parris Island. Never would I say you're not going to have any problems, period. There will be problems.

Didn't mean to imply I wouldn't have any problems at all, I meant just with the running portion.

ZSKI
12-29-08, 09:57 AM
Ya put it this way you do **** untill the drill instructors can't scream anymore. And those bastards can scream for hours. But i hope you used to carrying a pack because thats what you ognna be doing at PI and SOI

Andrew09
12-29-08, 11:16 AM
Ya put it this way you do **** untill the drill instructors can't scream anymore. And those bastards can scream for hours. But i hope you used to carrying a pack because thats what you ognna be doing at PI and SOI

That won't be an issue. I go backpacking on a regular basis, I've done the Appalachian Trail and various other trails. Every other weekend I'm out with friends doing 30 milers up in Cohutta. Not to get arrogant or anything, but I can also guarantee I've gone with heavier packs than what we'll have at PI/SOI. This summer a crew I'm with is doing a 2 and a half week backpacking trip out across New Mexico.

Reading over what I just typed, it came out a lot more arrogant than I wanted it to.

Oh well. >_>

NoRemorse
12-29-08, 11:22 AM
That won't be an issue. I go backpacking on a regular basis, I've done the Appalachian Trail and various other trails. Every other weekend I'm out with friends doing 30 milers up in Cohutta. Not to get arrogant or anything, but I can also guarantee I've gone with heavier packs than what we'll have at PI/SOI. This summer a crew I'm with is doing a 2 and a half week backpacking trip out across New Mexico.

Reading over what I just typed, it came out a lot more arrogant than I wanted it to.

Oh well. >_>

Good, now do it with little sleep; in full utilities, and don't forget your rifle.

Good, now spit some knowledge. Good, get a lot louder.

Long distance running is one thing; you have to be able to sprint with a load as well.

Andrew09
12-29-08, 11:36 AM
Good, now do it with little sleep; in full utilities, and don't forget your rifle.

Good, now spit some knowledge. Good, get a lot louder.

Long distance running is one thing; you have to be able to sprint with a load as well.

Point taken. :)

RBags
12-29-08, 03:10 PM
You will be in the front of the pack with those times no doubt. You are in alot better shape than most entering PI
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Voltaire/)

Andrew09
12-29-08, 03:21 PM
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Voltaire/)

True. That said -- I'm working on humbling myself.

CarolinaMarine
12-31-08, 07:57 PM
The most you'll ever run at once will probably the "Moto run" you do right before graduation, and thats only like 4 miles.

And by that point you're going to think its about 2 miles.

The tough part is going to be stuck out on the PT field forever because the other recruits who arn't motivated won't sound off.

A typical PT session as i remember it was, jog or march over to the field from the squad bays (sub 2 minutes), then form up and do table exercises (pushups, stretches, etc). After that its whatever you are doing that day. As the PFT gets closer you do Mock PFTs after table exercises, some days they have courses setup where you rotate stations and do various things. Inbetween stations you run a lap or two around the track, or some variation. Then you finish up with more table exercises.

Other then the actual PFT and a handful (i think we did 2?) of mock PFTs you really don't run that much at all. Formation runs are slow and easy, we only did 1-2 formation runs and about 2 individual effort mock pft runs the whole time.

oifvet23
12-31-08, 10:06 PM
well Im must have been in the lucky series because we PT'ed three days a week and ran 3 miles on those days, the whole 13 weeks, besides all the other bull**** and it hasn't been that long since i went thru

Andrew09
01-01-09, 03:25 AM
well Im must have been in the lucky series because we PT'ed three days a week and ran 3 miles on those days, the whole 13 weeks, besides all the other bull**** and it hasn't been that long since i went thru

That's the kind of PT I'm prepared for. Except I run every other morning.. 4 days a week, and do pushups/situps/etc on the in between days.

Can't wait, to be honest. I'm fired up about it -- as I guess most recruits are before they leave.

Enigmatic
01-01-09, 05:33 AM
That's the kind of PT I'm prepared for. Except I run every other morning.. 4 days a week, and do pushups/situps/etc on the in between days.

Can't wait, to be honest. I'm fired up about it -- as I guess most recruits are before they leave.

Stay fired up dude and you'll do fine!!!

ZSKI
01-01-09, 06:27 AM

Oh well. >_>

mine weighed in at 90 pounds. But the females are the problem they slow the whole formation down. If you go to MCT

Enigmatic
01-01-09, 06:32 AM
mine weighed in at 90 pounds. But the females are the problem they slow the whole formation down. If you go to MCT

Man I loved being a west-coaster. Nothing slowing you down but some big-ass mountains.....

Brig
01-01-09, 01:54 PM

good. despite the sessions at PI being a bit few and far between, once you hit the fleet, depending on your MOS, you will PT quite often. Marine Corps order says 3 days a week, and you can expect to run during all 3. In the Infantry you can expect PT 5 days a week, and you'll probably be running for all 5 of them

biesseb
01-04-09, 08:39 PM
Physically speaking PT in bootcamp is I guess semi tough but even the Corps is smart enough to know not to over train the recruits because on top of all the pt your marching miles and miles around...