View Full Version : Lance Cpl. Robb Fitch home for Christmas

thedrifter
12-27-08, 07:20 AM
Lance Cpl. Robb Fitch home for Christmas

By MICHELLE SHERMAN
The Register-Mail
Posted Dec 26, 2008 @ 11:04 AM
GALESBURG —

For Lance Cpl. Robb Fitch of Galesburg, this Christmas was more than just a return to his hometown to see family and friends. It also was a return to America after being stationed in Iraq for seven months.

Fitch, 21, a Marine, returned to town just in time for the holiday after nearly two full days of travel delays. He was supposed to arrive in Galesburg early Tuesday afternoon, but weather caused a change of plans and his family drove to Chicago to pick him up at O'Hare International Airport that night.

Family and friends celebrated his homecoming with a party at Northgate Lanes, which opened on Christmas Eve just for the gathering.

'It's hectic,' he said of coming home during the holidays, 'but it's cool. I get to come home and be in uniform and get treated completely different walking through airports.'

He joined the Marines right after graduating from Galesburg High School, and says the experience has changed him for life.

'It kind of seemed like it was the only option,' he said. 'I needed something to prepare me for college. It's definitely knocked me into shape pretty quick. I definitely feel like I'm far more grown-up.'

His mother, Cyn Kitchen, said having her son overseas for much of the year has been difficult. The separation was made worse when his father, Bill Fitch, passed away unexpectedly in June. Robb Fitch had to return to Galesburg on emergency leave for the funeral.

'It was really hard saying goodbye to him a second time knowing what the kids had been through,' she said. 'It was really hard for him (her son), (but) he doesn't acknowledge that much. He does what he's supposed to.'

Robb Fitch, who gets to be with family for 19 days before returning to Camp Pendleton, Calif., says being in the service has allowed him to see things he never would have seen as a civilian.

'I've seen some amazing things since I've been in ... stuff that you would never see anywhere else. I've seen tornadoes, I've been through hurricanes,' he said.

His service also seems to have had a profound impact on his younger brothers. Joe Fitch, 17, is a senior at GHS who already is enrolled in the delayed entry program with the Marines. His brother's and stepfather's service in that branch inspired his post-graduation plans. Jacob Fitch, 15, a freshman at GHS, hopes to get his pilot's license when he turns 16 and enter the Marines as an officer after graduation to fly fighter jets.

'It's kind of like a tradition' in the family, Jacob Fitch said of serving in the Marines. 'I've always had a little thing for it. It's just what's interesting.'

Sister Bailey Fitch, 19, is a student at Carl Sandburg College.

Kitchen said the death of Sgt. 1st Class Kyle Wehrly of Galesburg in 2005 was a turning point in her son's decision to serve.

'We knew at the time (of Wehrly's death) that he wanted to enlist, but I think that that moment was what really influenced his decision to enlist. He had a real moment when Kyle Wehrly came home,' she said.

Kitchen added that she never expected her three boys to have such strong military aspirations.

'I never intended to raise a family of warriors, but that seems to be what happened,' she said.

Ellie