PDA

View Full Version : Ornaments by local artists Steve Frykholm, Paul Collins hang on White House Christmas

thedrifter
12-27-08, 06:41 AM
Ornaments by local artists Steve Frykholm, Paul Collins hang on White House Christmas tree

GRAND RAPIDS -- Steve Frykholm and Paul Collins are hanging around the White House this Christmas.

Well, actually, it's their artwork that's there -- hanging from a branch on the Blue Room Christmas tree, the focal point of the president's annual holiday celebration.

First Lady Laura Bush asked each member of Congress to pick an artist to design an ornament representing his or her district as part of this year's "Red, White and Blue Christmas" theme.

Frykholm, vice president of graphic design for Herman Miller, was tapped by U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Holland, and said he covered a ball with blue snowflakes, certainly reflective of the West Michigan area this particular December.

And U.S. Rep. Vern Ehlers, R-Grand Rapids, selected Collins, who came up with a design he hopes will show the state in a larger context to prompt people to think globally.

"I wanted to create something that would be a symbol of Michigan, but also a symbol of the world," said Collins, one of the most celebrated artists to hail from the city.

Collins painted the shape of the state on a blue background, as if Michigan were a continent on the globe. On the West Michigan side of the state is an evergreen covered in red, white and blue plastic gemstones, with "Peace on Earth" written on the bottom.

Collins' pieces were displayed in the White House by both President Gerald R. Ford and President Jimmy Carter, but this was his first chance to create a presidential ornament.

"I was really honored that Vern Ehlers recommended me, and was more than happy to submit something," Collins said. "It's humbling when a president or a person like Vern respects what you do and wants you to be a part of what they're doing."

Collins said artists were invited to one of the White House celebrations to see the decorated tree, but he was exploring a jungle in Mexico for a new series of artwork at the time.

Frykholm wasn't able to make the event either, and said he's more excited about the future occupant of the White House than the current one.

"I got the call from Pete, and he had to assure me that this was a nonpartisan project," Frykholm said with a chuckle.

"I thought about winter, the snow and the holidays, and thought the snowflakes would reflect Michigan."

Frykholm, whose long silver beard reflects another holiday icon, has been responsible for Herman Miller's graphic identity for 36 years, and is known for his poster designs.

The Cannon Township resident's work is in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the National Museum of American Art at the Smithsonian Institution.

"When the letter from the first lady came across my desk, I thought, 'This would be perfect for Steve,'" said Hoekstra, a former Herman Miller executive.

Hoekstra said he attended one of the parties and spent time searching for his friend's handiwork. It wasn't easy, as the 18 1/2-foot Fraser fir is covered in ornaments from 375 artists between the ages of 8 and 90.

The White House has 27 Christmas trees, but the Blue Room fir is considered the centerpiece of the annual holiday celebration. The White House hosts about 60,000 guests attending 21 receptions during the month.

Ellie