PDA

View Full Version : Only the most fit deserving?

CJ Haynes
12-26-08, 10:40 PM
I just wanted to ask you, all my brothers and sisters in the Corps, do you believe only the most physically fit deserve to be Marines?
I ask this because I am not the most physically fit Marine in the Corps (though I constantly try to improve myself by going to the gym at my MOS school and, of course, participating in our weekly PT days), but I give it my all everyday and I try to be as motivated (and motivating) as possible. This has just really bothered me ever since SOI. I was originally an 0311 (I went through ITB), but even though I did my best and gave it everything I had and I put all the motivation I had into it, I wasn't able to make it through ITB. They decided to move me into a non infantry MOS; I chose to become a 3381 (Food Service) since my dad loves to cook and I always wanted to learn. I am still disappointed I did not complete ITB and I really miss the guys from my platoon (we grew such a strong bond it was unbelievable) but I believe everything happens for a reason, and God has done so many unexpected things in my life that I have learned to leave it all to Him even if it makes no sense to me.
But back to my original question: what do you all think about the subject? And just be honest; dont worry about hurting mine or any one else's feelings or anything! All I know is I am going to continue to improve my physical fitness so I can be a good Marine and I am going to continue being the most motivated Marine I can be (BTW, I was told by my fellow Marines at ITB that my motivation rubbed off on them a lot since I always did my best at what we did).
God bless and OOOOH RAH!
-Pvt. Haynes (Proud to be a US Marine!) :flag:

Achped
12-27-08, 03:07 AM
I dont have alot of time, but I think anyone can be physically fit, all you need is discipline. And I think you need discipline to be a Marine.

So, yes. Why did you get dropped out of ITB? An injury or you just sucked? Be honest.

HurricaneRJ
12-27-08, 03:11 AM
I think only the most fit should be in the Infantry or other combat MOS's but that will never be the case. If you keep on working on your physical stamina, I'm pretty sure you can smoke most grunts in PT.

I enjoy going to the gym, getting bigger and stronger, but going to the field 4 days a week, week in and out. Puts a hurting on some, and what grunt wants to PT on Saturday and Sunday??? Nobody, gotta drink all the bull**** out your system so you can take in more the next week.

echo3oscar1833
12-27-08, 03:27 AM
I just wanted to ask you, all my brothers and sisters in the Corps, do you believe only the most physically fit deserve to be Marines?
I ask this because I am not the most physically fit Marine in the Corps (though I constantly try to improve myself by going to the gym at my MOS school and, of course, participating in our weekly PT days), but I give it my all everyday and I try to be as motivated (and motivating) as possible. This has just really bothered me ever since SOI. I was originally an 0311 (I went through ITB), but even though I did my best and gave it everything I had and I put all the motivation I had into it, I wasn't able to make it through ITB. They decided to move me into a non infantry MOS; I chose to become a 3381 (Food Service) since my dad loves to cook and I always wanted to learn. I am still disappointed I did not complete ITB and I really miss the guys from my platoon (we grew such a strong bond it was unbelievable) but I believe everything happens for a reason, and God has done so many unexpected things in my life that I have learned to leave it all to Him even if it makes no sense to me.
But back to my original question: what do you all think about the subject? And just be honest; dont worry about hurting mine or any one else's feelings or anything! All I know is I am going to continue to improve my physical fitness so I can be a good Marine and I am going to continue being the most motivated Marine I can be (BTW, I was told by my fellow Marines at ITB that my motivation rubbed off on them a lot since I always did my best at what we did).
God bless and OOOOH RAH!

I don't think just the most physically fit are any more deserving than someone who isn't. You earned the title in Boot Camp, as long as you strive as a Marine to do what is expected of you, and put out the 110% that is asked of you then you are good to go. Just keep giving what you got, do the right things, do what you superiors ask, and just stay plain motivated and you will be good to go there Devil Dog. Don't let what happened with ITB get you down. Remember every Marine is a Rifleman, don't think for one second that you couldn't be called up to get deployed somewhere in the near future. Because you very well could be humping a pack, and carrying a rifle with a bunch of grunts when you least expect it.:marine:

slider1578
12-27-08, 04:23 AM
I wouldn't say that only the most physically fit deserve to be Marines, but a Marine should pride themselves on their physical fitness and continually try to improve themselves. Which in your case, you seem to be doing. You don't have to run a first class PFT, but you do need to fit into the guidelines set forth by the CMC by maintaining a third class. A big thing I would say about physical fitness is that if you can carry you weight and load and weight of another Marine in combat then your good to go. If your fitness has the possibility of putting other lives at risk then of course you shouldn't be in the infantry or out in the field and should be getting some kind of remedial PT. Also fit in the appropriate height and weight standards. Nothing disgusts me more than seeing a Marine popping out of uniform because they don’t fit. I only run a 224 PFT, but I can carry the weight and keep moving. And I fit in my uniforms more than perfectly. But I still push myself to the limits everyday with PT and even have a few buddies that I work out with who are more fit because it gives me a goal. Set a goal within reason, reach it and set another. Stay motivated and Semper Fi.

Marine84
12-27-08, 07:31 PM
You're still a Marine - WTF you whining about?

SGT7477
12-27-08, 07:37 PM
I think only the most fit should be in the Infantry or other combat MOS's but that will never be the case. If you keep on working on your physical stamina, I'm pretty sure you can smoke most grunts in PT.

I enjoy going to the gym, getting bigger and stronger, but going to the field 4 days a week, week in and out. Puts a hurting on some, and what grunt wants to PT on Saturday and Sunday??? Nobody, gotta drink all the bull**** out your system so you can take in more the next week.

As an 0811 I would PT everyday including weekends, GET SOME OOHRAH.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
12-27-08, 07:40 PM
God bless and OOOOH RAH!

You made it through boot camp, you are a Marine, Move On.:evilgrin:

tripledog
12-29-08, 09:57 PM
Seems a lot are sugar coating this question....................

In the old corps, if you were not as physically fit and every Marine HAD to be, you didnt go no furthur than the main gate with a ticket back home. Being politcally correct will get your buddy killed . If you cant hack the pt part of being a Marine, then you aint no Marine.

Simple aint it.

Box kicker 101
12-30-08, 06:15 AM
Remember one thing your already a Marine so the whole deserving thing is out the window you should'nt even think like that in the first place. Second I do belive PT does make a Marine stick out from the other branches in the military. One rule iv'e been always stuck with that one of my hard charging superiors told me was to always strive be better then every body else......really openended if you ask me but its true.........some personal experience for you when i graduated boot camp i weighed 135 i didnt like being that skinny i went to oki where you pt every sec of your life and after hitting the gym seriously i went up to 185 ..........i went from doing 18 pull ups to 25..........what ever you really suck in hit that area hard hit it till you throw up thats one sure way of knowing you are putting out but make sure you hydrate..... its all about motivation and how much you reallly want whatever it is that you are trying achieve........give it some time once you get to the fleet you'll get more time to really focus

sdk87to91
12-30-08, 03:13 PM
I ran 300 pft and even ran the Marine Corps Marathon, but I was not good enough at Air Traffic Control so the Marine Corps put me where they could use me. I felt like a wash out but I did my time and I did not get anyone killed on the runways.
I actually got pretty busy during Dessert Shield when 2/3 of my unit deployed. I did not get to go, but my unit used me for something everyday.

Quinbo
12-30-08, 07:59 PM
First you are a Marine and every job in the Marine Corps is important.
Your's is no less important than that guy sleeping in a fighting hole and wiping sand off of an MRE cracker.

The Marines must set high standards and enforce them or we truely would be sea going bellhops. Maybe your leadership recognized that you just weren't cut out to hump the base plate for and 81 up mt mo fo but instead you had more useful skills that could be applied elsewhere.

Keep your chin up. Go out there and pt. We don't wear our MOS on our sleeve so don't worry about it.