View Full Version : Sending a little bit of 'home' to Marines in Iraq

thedrifter
12-25-08, 06:30 AM
Sending a little bit of 'home' to Marines in Iraq
By Richard Parks
Correspondent
Contra Costa Times
Posted:12/24/2008 04:53:36 PM PST

With the approach of each holiday season, Saryl DiFabio purchases one of those 10-inch novelty Christmas trees with decorative lights, packs it up with some of her son's favorite jelly, and sends it to a far-off land.

"This'll be the fourth year he's missed Christmas," DiFabio says of her 23-year-old son, Cpl. Steve Kettelhut, a Marine now stationed in Anbar province, Iraq. "He can't keep (the tree) so I get a new one every year. Holidays are hard."

This year, the mother says the little plastic tree will be shared by Kettelhut's unit, some 50 or so Marines similarly estranged from their families this holiday season. DiFabio has initiated a drive to make sure each of those soldiers is a little bit better provided for not just at Christmas, but also the year round.

It's not figgy pudding and egg nog the members of unit 38433 are missing so much as basic personal items such as disposable razors, shampoo and snacks like nuts and beef jerky.

DiFabio has rallied the community to contribute these goods to her son and his fellow Marines in the spirit of giving that isn't specific to the holidays.

"After Steve went to Iraq (in September) I went online and tried to find places where I could contribute," DiFabio explains, "and there's really nothing in the Bay Area."

Kettelhut reported to his mother that the troops lacked sufficient supply of these everyday items. And with all the moving around of military operations, they had no other way of getting more for themselves — not to mention finding a real shower in the blistering desert heat. That's why the drive is also asking for donations of sanitary wipes, which take the place of a running faucet when you're on the go in the war zone.

So the mother, who watched her boy sign up for duty just a year after graduating from Alameda High in 2003, took up the cause herself. First she solicited help from the Italian-American League. Soon after, the story spread and DiFabio has been sending off care packages with contributions from around the community. The Alameda High Boosters club recently provided some space on its Web site to promote the drive.

Just a couple of weeks ago, DiFabio sent off a package of supplies weighing in at 139 pounds to her son.

For many in Alameda, Kettlhut and his family, who stage an annual patriotic holiday display in their front Otis Drive front yard, are local heroes.

"He's our hometown hero," said Kathie Boothby, a friend of DiFabio's whose son played football with Kettelhut at Alameda High. Boothby's son, now a senior at the Maritime Academy, is preparing for a career in the military upon graduation in May.

"Every time I think of him I just get choked up," Boothby said. "I mean, if the community can come together and pitch in with some beef jerky, it's the least we can do."

According to DiFabio, the gesture is much appreciated overseas. Even at home, where DiFabio's husband has set up a sign in the yard reading, "Proudly serving U.S. Marine Corps," Alamedans drop notes of encouragement in the mailbox or come to the door to shake hands with a family whose son is serving in the war.

"People ring the doorbell just to say thank you," DiFabio said, an occurrence that repeats itself every week or two, she said.

The full list of items requested for donation: disposable razors, shaving cream, shampoo (travel sizes), Dial soap, sanitary wipes (again, travel size, for taking a "shower" when none is available), nuts, trail mixes, beef jerky. Word from home is always welcomed at:

Ellie