PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers find ways to mark holidays far from home

thedrifter
12-24-08, 09:31 AM
Web-posted Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Soldiers find ways to mark holidays far from home
By Janelle Stecklein
janelle.stecklein@amarillo.com

An organizer who works closely with military families in the Texas Panhandle says there are roughly 1,500 residents of the region serving abroad. It's difficult to gauge just how many are in Iraq, Afghanistan or elsewhere, but Jack Barnes, chairman of America Supports You - Texas, says anecdotal observations and an informal survey he conducted indicate that the number is more than 1,000.

"Of course the war has downsized," said Barnes, an Amarillo resident. "But I would say it's close to it because (soldiers) deploy once year and those kids come home, and a year later they go back. I'd say (1,500) is ballpark. We've got a bunch over there, and we've got a bunch that are fixin' to go."

A few soldiers said via e-mail that it doesn't feel a lot like Christmas in places like the Iraqi cities of Al Hillah and Najaf. But they've introduced their own festive touches - Santa hats and Christmas lights, for instance - to bring the holiday spirit to the sand and arid climate of the Middle East.

Staff Sgt. Veronica M. Barela's team in Al Hillah will have a gift exchange Thursday, a 5K fun run and special lunch and dinner to celebrate.

"On Thanksgiving, the cafeteria was decorated really nice and even had a couple of ice sculptures," she said. "I can't wait to see what is planned for Christmas. It reminds soldiers that we can still have a good time, even though we are way from home, and also lets us know that people care enough to take the effort to do those things."

Barela, 28, a nine-year Army veteran, is a single mother whose 3-year-old daughter remains behind in Tulia while she's deployed. She'll be calling her daughter and her parents on Christmas.

"It's not the ideal situation (serving overseas during the holidays), but we plan to make the best of what we got," she said. "We hope to celebrate Christmas when I go home on leave. It makes it easy to know that we are not alone and that many families are going through the same situation."

Sgt. Maj. Kevin Rutledge, of Amarillo, is a 27-year veteran of the Army. The 45-year-old, who works at Pantex, is responsible for the health, welfare and morale of the enlisted soldiers in his company, which supports the Department of State Provincial Reconstruction at the Regional Embassy Office in Al Hillah.

While the soldiers in his company won't have the day off, he plans to make sure Christmas is a limited-duty day.

"We will still have various duties to attend to based on the mission, but for the most part, I will try to ensure the soldiers have plenty of time to enjoy the holiday," he said. Rutledge said he's looking forward to the "great meals" provided by the dining facilities, the 5K run and calling his family using government phones.

Rutledge said his wife, Ginger, and his two boys, Gavin, 9, and Kegan, 7, will celebrate the holiday without him but will get to spend it with family in Denton County near the Metroplex and also in Oklahoma.

This is the first Christmas that Amarillo resident Staff Sgt. Clinton Unger, 22, will spend away from his wife, Shanna, and sons, Luke, who turns 2 on Sunday, and Coda, 5.

Unger, stationed in Najaf, said Lt. Col. Fred Harmon, also of Amarillo, is planning a Christmas party for his unit, but otherwise it will just "be another day at the office."

However, he plans to take time to contact his family, his mother, Paula Edwards, of Amarillo, grandparents and maybe his mother-in-law using the Internet video service Skype or an Internet messaging service.

"It is hard on everyone (with my being away), especially my wife and the boys," he said. "I think they are able to still continue on. They are able to have more (gifts) this year, though. ... I miss being able to jump in a car with my wife and the boys and drive them all crazy, as I want to drive around looking at all of the Christmas lights that I can."

Luis "Carlos" Pena, 32, of Amarillo, is stationed in Babylon, Iraq, with the Army. He vividly recalls the holidays during a 2004 tour of duty in Fallujah while serving as a Marine.

He said troops spent Thanksgiving and Christmas with their "adoptive family" - the Marines of Fallujah. On Christmas Day, they distributed toys and candy to Iraqi children.

"We drove around the city handing things out," he said. "It was our way of giving Christmas to them."

He's the father of four boys - Carlos Pena Jr. and Jeremiah Pena, both 10, Mathew, 8, and Elijah, 4 - and is married to Amanda, a teacher's assistant at Sunrise Elementary School in Amarillo. His parents, Carlos and Maruca, live in Amarillo, as do his in-laws.

"What I miss the most about home is the Christmas atmosphere," he said. "The trees are glowing with lights and the presents are piled up underneath. Showing the Christmas spirit. I always like to place lights on my house to see the smile on my kids' face. You can't leave out the big Christmas meal. My mom fixes a big meal for the whole family. The smell of food runs all through the house."

Messages home

"I would like to express my deepest appreciation to all of the people of Amarillo and the surrounding area who continue to support the troops in all operations around the globe. The way we keep America strong is by involving everyone. I want them to never forget, no matter what their political beliefs, that these soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen serving overseas are the sons, daughters, husbands, wives, uncles, aunts, cousins and so on of your friends, neighbors, co-workers, church members. ... Please do not forget what they do for your country."

- Sgt. Maj. Kevin Rutledge

"(I want to tell my family and friends) that I miss them and love them dearly, and even though I'm 7,000 miles away I feel their thoughts and prayers with us here in Iraq."

- Staff Sgt. Veronica Barela

"I love (my friends and family) and I miss them. I hope it doesn't feel like too long (before) I am home again. (And) don't open your presents early."

- Staff Sgt. Clinton Unge

Ellie