PDA

View Full Version : Arty 0811 vs. 0844

BigQ25
12-23-08, 09:52 PM
Ship date 1/5/09 currently under contract for 0844 fire control man. What is the difference between this and 0811 cannoneer. Thanks.

Achped
12-24-08, 02:12 AM
In garrison, and in the field as an 0811 you will actually be doing something, in garrison as an 0844 you will be sitting in the battalion S3 filing papers and organizing range shoots and doing ***** work. Deployed to Iraq you will be in the COC getting *****ed at by a Master Sergeant while you file paperwork. Deployed to Afghanistan you will be sitting in the COC doing the same stuff unless you're **** hot, not the boot nor the most senior FDC guy, then you may be in a firing battery actually doing your job...but I doubt it.

Should definitely go cannoneer if you want to be a real man.

Oh, and I should know because Im currently in Iraq in an arty bn.

BigQ25
12-24-08, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info, Corporal. That is excactly what I needed to know. Are there artillery units in Iraq and Afghanistan working as infantry?

Achped
12-24-08, 10:29 AM
Back in '03 when we invaded Iraq and they had computer technicians kicking in doors, Im sure some arty units did grunt work, but it was on a "hey we need you guys to go to that building and kill those guys" type thing, not a "Your mission while you're deployed to Iraq is to act as a grunt batallion".

I don't want to give out too much info as far as opsec goes, but we're not kicking in doors, no one is really kicking in doors anymore here. We don't do foot patrols at all but we do some mounted patrols. Again, only 0811's do that trash, the 0844's watch movies at the COC. So if you want a cool MOS but want to skate out of work watching movies, go 0844. If you want to be treated like a boot and hate your life but actually get to do high speed ****, go 0811.

Iraq doesnt have a need for arty anymore and in Afghanistan they need arty guys to do arty. They let the grunts do the infantry work and let the arty guys do the arty work. Doesn't that make sense?

SGT7477
12-24-08, 02:17 PM
0811 Oohrah.

Enigmatic
12-24-08, 02:47 PM
One of my best friends in the Corps is an 0811, and he loves his job. Says he's gone a little deaf from it, but says that's OK because it just gives him another excuse for being extra-LOUD when he chews out junior Marines.

Another one of my friends is an 0861 and currently stationed with 1st ANGLICO. He swears straight up and down that his is the best Arty MOS out there. It used to be fun as hell watching them two argue back and forth bout what was the better MOS, whenever they weren't arguing with the grunts over the importance of Arty.

0844? Never heard of that one...but ultimately if I ever thought of lat-moving to Arty (which I have), I'd look at either 0811 or 0861.

Achped, aren't they called Arty Batteries not Battalions? I thought they were. Never was stationed with one, just wondering.

rvillac2
12-24-08, 03:25 PM
Hey, Enigmatic. Batteries are equivalent to companies. The batteries comprise the battallion.

SGT7477
12-24-08, 03:45 PM
Marine Artillery, One Shot Many Kills, OOHRAH.

Enigmatic
12-24-08, 06:10 PM
Hey, Enigmatic. Batteries are equivalent to companies. The batteries comprise the battallion.

Got it, Sgt. Thanks, I learned something new today. I believe a day you don't learn something new is a wasted day. Semper Fi.

ggyoung
12-25-08, 12:56 PM
In Vietnam during a "danger close" fire mission you could end up firing all night and well into the day in mud up to your knee's we have have about half of our FDC humping ammo for us "mud Marines". They thought they had died and gone to hell. The poor little girls.