PDA

View Full Version : Try to remember

ugly_angel362
06-10-03, 07:49 PM
Hey devil dogs. i know we all remember that day that we said good bye to our families and headed off to become marines. But what was the most memorable or influencing thing that either a family member or a friend told you before you left. For me it was my what my grandfather said. standing at the recruiters office ready to get in the van, my grandfather hugs me and says to me, " Today you are leaving as my granddaughter, the day i see you again, you will be my brother." Until this day i have never forgotten those words that gysgt hendricks said to me. Even though he is gone now, i can still hear it in the back of my mind. So marines, dig down and think hard to who said it to you.

Sgt Sostand
06-10-03, 08:14 PM
When i left for Boot Camp i was glad but once i set Foot on the Yellow foot prints i wasnt so happy hehehehehe

greensideout
06-10-03, 08:25 PM
I didn't really have much support in my youth so there was no "send off" when I left for boot.

I do remember my step-dad telling me, "Show them what you can do with a rifle."

Well, this farm kid shot Expert at the range. I didn't expect to do otherwise---hunting was a way of life back then. You didn't just shoot a rabbit, you had to shoot it in the eye. Didn't want to ruin the meat. That was dinner, along with biskets and gravy.

Phil
06-10-03, 09:05 PM
My Dad asked me if I was ready, and if I knew what I was getting myself into. I said "yeah" and I was off. Didn't see him again for four years, and, when I did, he finally said he was proud of me. Then he called me a "****ing Jarhead".:marine: He was career Navy.

btrogu
06-10-03, 09:09 PM
It was the day I graduated. I was Plt. Honorman and my dad
shook my hand and said he was really proud of me. Growing
up we had our differences, but that was the first time he ever
said something that stuck with me...

Barrio_rat
06-11-03, 01:31 AM
It was late August (end of Summer the year I graduated high school) the day I got on the bus for MEPS before heading down to MCRD San Diego - my day said "the only reason I didn't charge you rent is...

Devildogg4ever
06-11-03, 04:24 AM
Well, if my thinking is right, the night before I was to leave, I was talking to my parents standing at their bedroom door (they had to work next day) my father said something I had never heard him say to me before, he said "I love you"! I couldn't believe my ears! I said to him, what did you say? He said I heard him the first time! :banana:

Catz1611
06-11-03, 04:43 AM
I didn't have a send off either &quot;Greensideout&quot; I was on my own and relieved to be going... <br />
<br />
Got my first taste of things to come waiting at the bus staton..I was the only female amoungst 10 males...

1ofthefewer
06-11-03, 02:05 PM
I posted this in another forum, but I put it here.

My Marine dad told me I was the best "son" he ever had. None of my 3 brothers had the intestinal fortitude to join. My dad was never one to be an encourager. If I got 6 A's and a B on a report card, he would ask "why the B?" So this was his way of telling me he approved and supported me.

Man, I miss him!

CPLRapoza
06-11-03, 02:19 PM
The night before I left for Boot Camp, I was at my dads house. he came out of the kitchen with two beers, cracked them open and told me "to do what I'm told and I'll do just fine". He also said that there is no other better felling, then when you earn the title Marine and by God he was right!! He's a Veitnam Vet. 67'- 70' 1st Force Recon/ Scout Sniper.

Also right before the van came and picked me up to go to MEPs, I stood up all night and cleaned my room, my mom came out and started crying cause I was already about to leave. I didn't even hug her goodbye, and it ate at me all through bootcamp. So at graduation instead of getting hugged by here son, she was getting hugged by her son the Marine.

My grandfather told me up to the day I left for Boot Camp that I was to weak to make it and would come back crying like my cousins (they couldn't hang in the squid tank), especially because it was the Marine Corps. But on graduation, he was there, crying his eyes out because I made it. He actually told me what I needed to hear.

richgitz
06-17-03, 08:19 AM
The only comment I can remember, was from my Brother-in-Law.
He was in the Marines in WWII, Got a BAD wound the battle for
Okinawa. His words were "BOY DID YOU F**K-UP.

TJR1070
06-17-03, 09:11 AM
My Father and I never got along but he imparted these words of wisdom before I left " No matter what happens, what they do to you or put you through they can't stop time". It doesn't seem like much but during those times that seemed like they would never end I would refer back to those few simple words.

Super Dave
06-17-03, 11:06 AM
The neighboor that lived across the street from me when i was growing up has asked me what was I doing after high school. When I told him i was joining the Corps he then told me that he was a retired Marine Colonel. He told me he had something for me. We went to his house and he gave me a Eagle Globe and Anchor plaque off of his wall. That plaque still hangs on my wall and it will until I pass it on to my Marine daughter. I've told her that she will have to pass it on to a Marine as well. I'm going to do a book with the history of the plaque and who has had it and as it's passed on all can see who had it before them.