PDA

View Full Version : Home for the holidays: local Marine completes service to country

thedrifter
12-23-08, 11:07 AM
Home for the holidays: local Marine completes service to country

By Luci Weldon, The Warren Record

The song, "Home for the Holidays," which has been popular for many Christmas seasons, is fitting for Warren County native Sgt. John Paul Taylor of the United States Marine Corps.

However, he is not just going home in his dreams or for a brief visit. Taylor has returned home after a four-year commitment to the Marine Corps that included three tours in Iraq.

The son of Ron and Paula Taylor of Inez, his family moved here from Wake Forest 14 years ago.

Sgt. Taylor joined the Marines at the age of 17, but found his inspiration for serving his country after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

"I was too young then," he said. "I had to wait a few years."

You might say that serving one's country in the armed forces is a family tradition. His father served in the United States Army for several years. A great-uncle was killed on Omaha Beach during World War II.

"Other relatives have served in every war," Taylor said.

He decided to join the Marines for the opportunity to serve in the infantry and the Corps' tradition.

Taylor, stationed at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, was deployed to Iraq from August 2005-March 2006, January-August 2007 and April-October of this year.

For two of those deployments, he served with L Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, beginning as a gunner and working up to section leader.

"During my first deployment, I was deployed over Thanksgiving and Christmas," Taylor said. "Being the first deployment, that was probably the hardest."

In his third deployment, he served as assistant team leader of the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division's Scout Sniper Platoon.

Taylor returned from this last tour in Iraq on Oct. 29, meaning that he was able to come home for Thanksgiving.

"It felt really good," he said about being able to spend time with his family. "All Thanksgivings are really good."

Before, because Taylor was stationed at Camp Lejeune, he was able to come home to Inez for holidays when he was not deployed.

However, he had something extra special to be thankful for this year - he completes his service with the Marines on Dec. 29.

"The other times have been for visits," Taylor said. "This time, I'm coming home for good."

The soon-to-be former Marine is encouraged by the improvements in conditions in Iraq, but is grateful for the conveniences here in the United States that many of us take for granted.

Taylor has served in Operation Iron Fist and Operation Steel Curtain, which he described as the turning point, "when things really started to improve."

"Iraq is much better now," he said. "I appreciate the modern conveniences of the United States. It is a great country."

Taylor has been stationed on the Fallujah Peninsula, working closely with local security forces and Iraqi police and in and around Fallujah City, supporting the Iraqi police and local security forces.

For his service, he has received the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal with a Combat V, Iraqi Campaign Medal with two Bronze Stars, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the National Defense Medal, among others.

However, Taylor comes home with some sad memories as well, losing two military friends, Daniel Swaim of the western region of North Carolina, and Adam Loggins of Huntsville, Ala.

"I have the utmost respect for them and their families," he said.

As he looked back over his military career, Taylor observed that serving in the Marines has made him more mature.

"I am a lot more mature, grown up than a lot of my peers," he said. "I have a lot more positive outlook. I have seen a lot of stuff, survived a lot of stuff."

Now, Taylor works on his family's Inez farm, where they raise chickens, goats, cows and horses. When he is not working, he enjoys hunting deer and turkey, and riding his motorcycle. He plans to attend Vance-Granville Community College, possibly pursuing his interests in agriculture and forestry.

Taylor is looking forward to spending Christmas with his parents and brothers and sisters, Rebekah, Samuel, Abigail and Joshua.

"There is always a big plan around my house," he said about Christmas.

Taylor described this year's tree as the "biggest yet."

"Each year, I think we try to outdo (the year before)," he said. "We do a lot of deer hunting around that time of year, have a big Christmas dinner and open presents."

You can be sure that Taylor will be happy in countless ways - spending the holiday season back here at home with family and friends.

Ellie