PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on our Marines

thedrifter
12-22-08, 08:19 PM
Some thoughts on our Marines
Submitted by ACHefty on Mon, 12/22/2008 - 09:48.

A friend of mine just forwarded a story about how our Marines are conducting themselves in the mountains of Afghanistan. Just a few quick thoughts.
* They are without a doubt the finest fighting force in the world.
* "One shot - one kill" was our motto whenever we were training in marksmanship.
* We should sleep well, knowing these fine young men are working to protect us from harm.

The difference between the winners in this battle and the losers is the men that make the US Marines. Sure, you can put rifles in the hands of terrorists and tell them to fire until they see bodies fall. But a Marine takes aim, focuses, and uses each bullet wisely.

I tend to boast about having been a Marine Sergeant. Getting through boot camp and earning the title of “Marine” is no easy task. To be honest, I barely qualified in many areas, especially rifle marksmanship. Once qualified, I didn’t concentrate on it because I was more interested in loading bombs than shooting rifles. But the lowest-qualified Marine will still shoot better than just about anyone else. And these men proved it.

As I've written before: no one wants to go to war, especially those who have to fight it. But going to a land far away to root out the terrorists from our world is keeping us safe here at home. Remember our Marines (Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen too) in your prayers tonight. And if you find a military family this holiday season, drop off a few things for the kids.

Ellie