PDA

View Full Version : Santa's come to town

thedrifter
12-22-08, 06:54 AM
Santa's come to town

By Gary Green
Correspondent

Published: Monday, December 22, 2008 at 6:30 a.m.

OCALA — A believer who sees him running errands around town might grow suspicious. With the perfect silver curls, flowing white beard, cherubic face and natural padding in the right places, Carl Staley could be the real thing.

His cheerful manner serves to heighten the illusion. But this isn't the North Pole or some location with central casting; this is Ocala, and Carl Staley is a longtime resident of Silver Spring Shores.

But drive by his home on Redwood Track Pass almost any December evening and your curiosity is bound to give way to childish awe.

There, in the midst of a story book wonderland with thousands of lights and every imaginable Christmas decoration, you'll see a structure with a brightly lit sign that says Santa's Workshop.

To the left of the driveway, everything is in bright white lights: a 20-foot Christmas tree made from an old flagpole, a manger scene, a small church, lots of angels and candy canes.

To the right of the driveway where the workshop is, colored lights blink on snow globes, snowmen, Santa's sleigh and reindeer, teddy bears, Santa's helpers and toy soldiers.

Christmas music is playing.

But what takes your breath away is Carl Staley in full Santa gear waving from the doorway of the workshop.

The only dose of reality in this scene are three flags waving atop poles, one each from the U.S. Marines, the Navy and the Army. Carl Staley is a veteran of all three.

This ritual of decorating the property and greeting the world as Santa has been performed by the Staley household for more than 20 years, and at their Silver Springs Shores home since 1993.

According to Carl Staley, the tradition began in Homestead.

"I used to dress as Santa at the base during my Army years," Carl Staley says. "Then one year, sitting out on the porch in the evening, my wife looked at me and said, ‘why don't you put on the Santa suit and walk up and down the block?' I did, and we ended up with about 50 kids in our front yard. I've been doing it ever since."

Today the practice has grown to include the workshop, with its rows of mechanical Santa dolls, a miniature skating rink and an antique German clock. Lights and a red Christmas bell hang from the low ceiling and a brilliantly lighted Christmas tree stands against the back wall.

In the middle is Santa's rocker, where Carl Staley receives young visitors. His wife, Ruby, dressed as Mrs. Claus, often is joined by Santa's helper, their 11-year-old granddaughter, Chyenne Hill, dressed in a red and green elf's outfit with shoes turned up at the toes.

Preparation and set up takes weeks. "We start before Halloween to be ready by Dec. 9th," said Carl Staley. Everyone pitches in, including his son-in-law, Tommy Hill, who helps with the lights and heavy work.

Visiting children come from around the neighborhood and some families have driven from as far away as Gainesville. Many are repeat visitors, whom Santa remembers year after year.

"I have one boy who first came when he was 18 months old; this year he is 7," Carl Staley said with pride. Santa's visitors all receive a candy cane and a pencil.

"I enjoy it," said Carl Staley. "I enjoy watching the expression on a child's face when, getting the nod from the parents, I can tell them that their Christmas wish just may come true."

"It's a lot of work," adds Ruby Staley, "but the look in a child's eyes is worth it!"

When asked if they stay through Christmas Day, Carl Staley answers, "No, we close up on Dec. 23 because Santa has to get to the North Pole to get his sleigh ready for all the work to be done on Christmas Eve!"

Ellie