12-22-08, 06:47 AM
Article published December 22, 2008

Fallen Marine's father finds friend in unlikely place
Son's honor spurs acts of charity

By ERICA BLAKE
BLADE STAFF WRITER

First in a series

It was a chance encounter.

David Christoff, Sr., of Rossford travels as often as he is able to Arlington National Cemetery where his son, Marine Corps Sgt. David Christoff, Jr., is buried. He shares stories. He cries. He plays his guitar and sings songs.

Baltimore natives Jane Fetter and her husband, Frank, make similar trips to the 200-acre cemetery in Arlington, Va. They enjoy its serenity and beauty. They pay their respects. They visit the graves of soldiers whom they do not know.

They go to Arlington National Cemetery, but for very different reasons.

That is until a few years ago when their paths collided.

A funeral procession diverted the Fetters off course and into Section 60 - the final resting place of hundreds of American troops who perished during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

It was a chance encounter between Mr. Christoff and the Fetters.

But it was a meeting that has forever touched their lives and reminded Mr. Christoff that, despite his tragic loss, he still is blessed by the kindness of others.

He also is sharing his blessings - and sharing his son's memory.

Mr. Christoff recently donated money to the Marines Corps Reserve's Toys for Tots program, raised through an annual golf tournament in his son's name. The tournament is one way Mr. Christoff is able to keep his son's name and passions alive.

And this week he received a package in the mail that contained photographs of his son's grave.

The pictures were taken by Mrs. Fetter, who sought him out a few weeks ago knowing how beautiful Arlington is at Christmas - and knowing that Mr. Christoff likely would not be able to see it.

She offered him a picture. And she promised that the picture would show a wreath that is placed by volunteers on the military graves.

This simple wreath at Sergeant Christoff's grave was put there by the Fetters themselves, who volunteered to disperse the wreaths to ensure that he would receive one.

"She told me the whole story about the wreath. I just broke down. It's a very special lady to do that," Mr. Christoff said from his Rossford home recently. "You know, God Bless America. It's all pretty incredible."

Sergeant Christoff was killed May 22, 2006, during his second tour in Iraq. Mr. Christoff said the terrorist attacks in 2001 prompted his son to join the Marines and his desire to help people - including children - compelled him to remain in service.

Mr. Christoff says he has "a bruised heart" and the pain he feels over the loss of his son is often overwhelming.

The holidays are difficult, he said.

But through an annual golf tournament he organizes in his son's name, he is able to continue Sergeant Christoff's desire to help children by donating the proceeds - this year a total of $4,527 - to the annual Toys for Tots drive.

Mrs. Fetter, 68, said in a telephone interview that she learned after reaching out to Mr. Christoff earlier this month that there would be 10,000 wreaths available for distribution to Arlington's more than 300,000 graves. Sergeant Christoff's grave was not slated to be decorated, she said.

Early on Dec. 13, the Fetters drove the hour or so to Arlington to be among the nearly 3,000 volunteers who distribute wreaths donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine.

"My husband and I were told that if we got to the cemetery at 7 a.m. on Saturday, we would be among the volunteers that help distribute the 10,000 wreathes. Maybe, I thought, I could get one for David," she said in a recent
e-mail to The Blade.

Mrs. Fetter learned after arriving at the cemetery that volunteers could take a wreath to the grave of someone special.

"We distributed the wreaths as we had volunteered and then walked to Section 60 and found David's grave," she said. "We placed the simple, fresh wreath on his grave."

That action offered Sergeant Christoff's father, so many miles away, a bit of comfort.

Coupled with the increasing success of the golf tournament - to be held again on May 16 at the Heatherdowns Country Club - Mr. Christoff said the support of the community, his family, and a total stranger has shown him that even during the hardest days, he's not alone.

Dawn Heisler, director of the Heroes In Action support group, said "support is just totally needed in times like this."

And when that support comes from a stranger, it shows family members that their incredible sacrifice is appreciated.

"The family makes a big sacrifice for their country as well as the soldier or Marine," Ms. Heisler said.

"I know it's been a real struggle for David's father. They were very close. To have people supporting him through this is what is going to help him get through," she said.

Mrs. Fetter understands that well. She said that she takes advantage of every opportunity to thank a U.S. serviceman, and she urges others to do the same. It's an easy action and can be done for free but will generate a lasting impact on the person being thanked, she said.

As for Mr. Christoff, a man whose sorrowful tunes on his guitar led her to stop a few years ago at his son's grave, she wishes peace for Christmas through a photographic opportunity to be close to his son.

"I sure can give this father a long-distance hug," she said.

Contact Erica Blake at:
eblake@theblade.com
or 419-213-2134.

Ellie