PDA

View Full Version : Marine siblings defy the odds with assignment to Camp Fuji

thedrifter
12-21-08, 07:31 PM
Marine siblings defy the odds with assignment to Camp Fuji

By Bryce S. Dubee, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Tuesday, December 23, 2008

CAMP FUJI, Japan — Normally when Marines head off to a new assignment, they’re not sure how long it will be before they’ll see family again.

Not so for Lance Cpls. Zarina and Imran Ismail. The brother and sister see each other every day in their yearlong assignments at Camp Fuji.

"Everybody’s always like: ‘Oh my God! How did that happen?’ " said Zarina, who works as a personnel clerk.

The older of the two siblings, Zarina joined the Marines first but had to wait to attend boot camp until space opened in recruit training for women at Parris Island, S.C.

"I saw how happy she was when she joined, so I did, too," said Imran, who attended boot camp while his sister was waiting.

One day while working in the Camp Fuji supply office, Imran checked the list of incoming personnel and saw his sister’s name on it.

Zarina, who had requested an overseas assignment, said her brother called and told her the news.

They’re glad that it happened.

"It feels like we are back home," Zarina said. "I think we’re closer now because we’re both Marines."

Said Imran: "Mom was really happy that we’re together."

The two have made plans to explore Tokyo as soon as Zarina earns her Red Card and can go off base.

As Imran prepares to leave Camp Fuji next spring for a new assignment, both siblings said they wouldn’t oppose sharing another assignment.

"If it happened again, it wouldn’t be bad, but I don’t know if I would try to follow him intentionally," Zarina said.

Ellie