PDA

View Full Version : Food chain joins USO in hosting free wing event

thedrifter
12-21-08, 10:07 AM
A Hooter-rific holiday treat
Food chain joins USO in hosting free wing event

Posted : Saturday Dec 20, 2008 10:56:16 EST

Few things appeal to Marines like Hooters girls and hot wings — except, maybe, Hooters girls and free hot wings.

That’s what many Marines found Dec. 10 when they passed through the Raleigh-Durham International Airport in North Carolina.

Jacquelyn Ngo, 23, was among the Hooters waitresses who volunteered to sling some 300 free wings to the troops.

“They loved it,” she said. “I think the wings were more popular than us at first. But then we got to talking, and they loved having happy smiling faces and someone else to talk to.”

The United Service Organizations teamed with Hooters to produce the event as a way to boost morale prior to the holidays.

Judy Pitchford, who heads the USO in North Carolina, said the Hooters restaurant chain — renowned for its tasty chicken, skimpy uniforms and perky servers — has long been a USO supporter.

“This is the first time they’ve done this. But Hooters has partnered with us in Jacksonville for many years and is active elsewhere supporting the troops,” said Pitchford, who retired as a gunnery sergeant in 2000.

Hooters manager Josh Levy, who left the Army in 1995 as a corporal, organized the event “to show we appreciate everything they do.”

Ngo went a step further.

“For someone to be so selfless and to sacrifice for their country is just amazing to me,” Ngo said. “I find it very inspiring.”

Ellie