PDA

View Full Version : Navajo code talker visits with Young Marines

thedrifter
12-21-08, 07:20 AM
Navajo code talker visits with Young Marines

By Shelley Widhalm
Loveland Reporter-Herald

Twenty young patriots got a surprise visit Saturday morning at their Christmas party from an American Indian war hero.

The youngsters who came to the Associated Veterans Club in downtown Loveland for the party are members of the Flat Irons Young Marines, the Northern Colorado unit of a U.S. Marine Corps youth education and service program.

The Young Marines gathered in a half-circle around Sgt. Allen Dale June, a U.S. Marine Corps Navajo code talker, and his wife, Virginia, who are from Longmont. Navajo code talkers used their language to develop an unbreakable military code during World War II.

Virginia June, also a Navajo, said she would do all of the talking for both of them.

Sgt. June, 87, is a bit shy, said Rick Carver, vice president of the American Legion Riders, District 4, a volunteer organization of motorcyclists that has 18 posts in Northern Colorado, including one in Loveland.

“Until he gets to know you, he won’t speak English,” Carver said.

Sgt. June began his service in 1942 and immediately received the rank of sergeant, because he was a Navajo with a high school diploma.

He served in the Pacific Corridor until 1945 as one of the original 29 Navajo code talkers who were responsible for developing the code. By the end of the war, 420 Navajos served as code talkers, out of 3,600 Navajos enlisted in the armed forces.

The Navajo code talkers devised a coded communication system based on the Navajo language that proved to be unbreakable, because Navajo is a complex, unwritten language.

“Every code was broken, except for that of the Navajo code talkers,” said U.S. Navy veteran Tony DuMosch, commander of the American Legion, District 4. “They were a key element in World War II in keeping our boys safe and out of harm’s way.”

Virginia June told the Young Marines about the Navajo people and their language and provided some facts about the code talkers. She told the youths, who ranged in age from 7 to 18, about Sgt. June’s service, affectionately calling him “Pops.”

“I thought it was cool because I never got to meet my great-grandfather (a World War II veteran),” said Tyler Meinhart, a 14-year-old Young Marine from Longmont. “I think it was neat to meet a World War II vet.”

Ten-year-old Kristi Johnson, a Young Marine from Longmont, often talks to her grandfather, a World War II veteran, about the war.

“I think it was pretty cool because now I can talk to my grandpa about it,” Kristi said. “When we learn new stuff, we tell each other.”

Virginia June told the Young Marines that in 1994, President George H.W. Bush awarded Sgt. June a Congressional Gold Medal for his service as a code talker.

Virginia June, who is 71, said that as Sgt. June’s third wife, “I’m the charm. The third one is the charm.”

The Junes met when Virginia June, now a retired registered nurse, gave Sgt. June a flu shot. They married and had a son, now 33 years old.

At the end of Virginia June’s presentation, Tom Buchanan, commandant of the Marine Corps League, Loveland Detachment 1250, gave Sgt. June a Christmas gift.

“He’s a very special man. There’s only a couple of them left,” Buchanan said.

Sgt. June is one of the last two to three known Navajo code talkers still living who fought in World War II, Virginia June said.

Buchanan explained how Iraq war veteran Chris Hahn, a U.S. Marine who graduated from Thompson Valley High School, bought the gift — a 550-piece puzzle titled “Visions of Valor” honoring the code talkers — in St. Louis, Mo., and brought it back to Loveland, where Buchanan and his family assembled it. Buchanan presented Sgt. June with the the framed puzzle on behalf of the Marine Corps League.

“He’s a hero. He’s a real American hero,” said Robb D. Smith, commander of the American Legion Post 15.

Two Greeley residents who fought in the battle for Iwo Jima also were invited to Saturday’s party.

Kent Stegner, who served from 1942 to 1946 and was a platoon sergeant, was on tour with the 1st Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment. Ammatt R. Parr, who served at the same time and was a corporal, was in both the 1st and 4th Marine divisions.

“I thought today was absolutely wonderful,” said Deborah Hust, commanding officer of the Flat Irons Young Marines, adding that at first the kids were “in shock, but they thought it was cool” meeting the war veterans.

Ellie