PDA

View Full Version : something thats been bothering me lately....medium regs

Whitey
12-20-08, 03:57 PM
Ok, so I get that a high and tight or high reg is not for you, however, what bothers me is that most Marines with high regs let it get out of regs and it's never corrected. It's one thing to have a neat well groomed Medium reg but when your cover is put on and it looks like the back of your head is a ducks ass it just looks nasty.

The regulations state per P1020.34F:

Men will be well groomed at all times and will abide by the following:
Hair will be neat and closely trimmed. The hair may be clipped at the edges of the side and back; will be evenly graduated from zero length at the hairline in the lower portion of the head to the upper portion of the head; and will not be over 3 inches in length fully extended on the upper portion of the head; the back and sides of the head below the hairline may be shaved to remove body hair. Sideburns will not extend below the top of the orifice of the ear. Sideburns will not be styled to taper or flare. The length of an individual hair of the sideburn will not exceed 1/8 inch when fully extended.
Head hair will be styled so as not to interfere with the proper wear of uniform headgear. Hair which protrudes from beneath properly worn headgear in an unsightly manner is considered excessive, regardless of length.

So whats the deal with this being allowed in the Corps?

Marine84
12-20-08, 04:47 PM
Worry about your own hair Marine - let somebody higher up the food chain take care of the prissy boys. Either that or wait until you're higher up on the food chain - you could go down in history as the old Gny that used to walk around with a ruler all the time checking regs.

bootlace15
12-20-08, 04:54 PM
wow,I never stopped wearing my hear boot camp length since I was retired in 1974,until this year,I finally grew it out and planted a beard and stach. What a difference now my face really looks like an acs hole,and I'm about to shave.

bootlace15 out

Enigmatic
12-20-08, 05:26 PM
Yeah, that look used to bother me too. We had two Marines who were getting out and the closer they got to their EAS, the lower the reg they got. Me, I've been out for over a year, still get a high and tight once a week. Thats how I roll.

Whitey
12-20-08, 05:29 PM
Worry about your own hair Marine - let somebody higher up the food chain take care of the prissy boys. Either that or wait until you're higher up on the food chain - you could go down in history as the old Gny that used to walk around with a ruler all the time checking regs.

there wouldnt be any need for a ruler. if it protrudes like a ducks ass its time to get it faded again.

this is commonly seen amongst my fellow lances and the corporal ranks. its pretty unsightly if you think about it

BR34
12-20-08, 05:36 PM
You shouldn't expect everyone to look like you man. I personally think high and tights look hideous! Especially on Marines, who for some reason tend to have above average amounts of scars in their heads.

Hair which protrudes from beneath properly worn headgear in an unsightly manner is considered excessive, regardless of length.

That could have been worded better. When they said "unsightly manner" it leaves it open to the opinions of everybody.

I used to keep a copy of the newest grooming standards with me at all times, because there were a couple of SNCOs that ****ed with me about my hair. They would tell me I'm out of regs, my Sgt. would hear it. I would show my Sgt. the order. And my hair wouldn't be touched.

Moral of the story, if someone is in regs, what you or others consider "unsightly" is irrelevant.

Whitey
12-20-08, 05:40 PM
im not saying that everyone should have a high and tight or a high reg. medium regs are ok by me but it gets to a certain point that its unsightly. when it sticks like in inch out from the back of your head while you're wearing your cover for example

HurricaneRJ
12-20-08, 06:54 PM
just be lucky you can get one. Boots in grunt units are not "allowed" to get medium regs. If we do, we usally get hazed for it and have to bick are hair.

MUSTANG0369
12-20-08, 06:59 PM
Haircuts have no relation to job performance....You usually see this only on first term Marines, Never have I seen a Salty Marine with this problem, so with that said, let the Marines have what they want as long as it is within regs....they may actually do some work if they arent worrying about every one else........

nptwildcat
12-20-08, 07:49 PM
I just wish I had enough hair to get a high and tight. So, I just shave it all off.

BR34
12-20-08, 08:43 PM
Haircuts have no relation to job performance....You usually see this only on first term Marines, Never have I seen a Salty Marine with this problem, so with that said, let the Marines have what they want as long as it is within regs....they may actually do some work if they arent worrying about every one else........

You are absolutely right, Sir.

echo3oscar1833
12-20-08, 11:51 PM

Well said Lt. I totally agree as long as a Marine is within regulation its fine. Regs are there for a reason. Its just like when we had the old style Cammies before they came out with the new digitals. Everyone said you had to starch them before pressing. If anyone actually ever looked at the Regulations it would say that Starching of Cammies and Covers was actually prohibited. Not to say that I didn't starch them, because I did. However there was one time that I didn't just so I could get someone to notice, when this particular Corporal did, I wipped the Reg out, and let him know. After reading it he let me be, and went on to the next Marine. Moral of my story is there are Regs and then there are Common Marine Corps Practices. In general if the Brass, SNCO's, and NCO's are accepting it, just roll with it.:marine:

thewookie
12-21-08, 12:06 AM
WTF does your hair length tell me about your operational ability?

Sure, Marines look great in their dress blues with a high and tight, but it doesn't make them any better of a warrior.

Pete0331
12-21-08, 03:27 AM
I interpreted the regulations very liberally, whenever possible, and many SNCO's didn't agree with my stance.
The haircut does not make the Marine.
I liked to try and bled in as much as possible when on libo CONUS and OCONUS.

Higher harps on terrorism awareness and not sky-lining yourself in a foreign country then insists on fresh haircuts and strict civilian attire guidelines.
The numbers don't add up.

As long as it is within regulation there should be no problem.
The regulation needs to be rewritten to clarify what an "unsightly manner" consists of.

WTF does your hair length tell me about your operational ability?

I don't know, ask the high speed Recon community in their long hair affects their operational ability.

DocGreek
12-21-08, 06:34 AM
After my fun vacation, in RVN, while I was in re-hab, in Orlando NTC, I was put on Ambulatory Status. Late 1969. I was told to "get a dam haircut, and shave off that dam mustache!" Never put my HM3 stripe on my uniform! Had me working, "part time", in the Emergency Room, when I was called on "the carpet", by Master Chief, to explain my behavior. There was a Marine Lance Corp, and a HM2, Corpsman, in the office. The Master Chief, started to raise he**!! I, looked at his ribbons, and guess what? NOTHING, from RVN!! NOW, YOU JUST KNOW, WHAT I DID!! It was bad! BUT.....was NEVER bothered again, about the way I dressed, or how my hair was cut!! Just another OLD FART'S, OLD MEMORIES!!!!.....SEMPER FI......Doc Greek

Whitey
12-24-08, 08:48 AM
All the same about work ethic could be said about IP's or a dirty bill on the Marines cover though yet we still must maintain our uniforms in the best light

Achped
12-24-08, 10:21 AM
Dude ladies love long hair man. High and tights are a no go, especially if you're in the desert, surrounded by military females.

Or you're in Hawaii.

It's all about the monkey, who cares what your peers or SNCOs think? If you're a good Marine it will show whether or not you've got the boot ass high and gay or the ****bird low reg.

BR34
12-24-08, 12:50 PM
All the same about work ethic could be said about IP's or a dirty bill on the Marines cover though yet we still must maintain our uniforms in the best light

Actually, IPs and dirty uniforms wouldn't be within regs. MEDIUM REGS ARE!!! Give it up man! You shouldn't expect everyone to want to look like you. High & tights look like ASS! Do your GI Joe/Chris Mullen thing and be happy.

PaidinBlood
12-24-08, 01:08 PM

KILL. :D

Seriously, the biggest hair Nazis I have ever seen were driven by desperation (it was the only thing they could do right). Either that or a salty Lance needed to put his team in check. Pretty dumb either way. Don't sweat it and keep your own porch clean. :usmc:

Pete0331
12-24-08, 04:05 PM
... who cares what your peers or SNCOs think? If you're a good Marine it will show whether or not you've got the boot ass high and gay or the ****bird low reg.

That's not the way it is.
I wish it were.

Accord
12-24-08, 05:18 PM
I wear a low reg. Unless someone with a rocker in my chain of command tells me to get a medium reg I have no plans of changing it. We just got back from Afghanistan and there is not a single Marine in my entire battalion walking around with a high and tight or a high reg.

I'm wasted haha but you get the point... can't really tell but the sides and back is almost as long as the top.

http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v1840/188/40/705216045/n705216045_1623523_18.jpg

Old Marine
12-24-08, 06:06 PM
The reason for short hair is that most Marines are in the field a lot and being in the field you get dirty. Long hair attracts dirt much more than short hair. The thing about hair is thatit normaly grows back. Long hair is like wearing a ear ring. Might as well be a BAM.

Accord
12-24-08, 06:23 PM
The reason for short hair is that most Marines are in the field a lot and being in the field you get dirty. Long hair attracts dirt much more than short hair. The thing about hair is thatit normaly grows back. Long hair is like wearing a ear ring. Might as well be a BAM.

Spent 7 months outside the wire in Afghanistan hookin and jabbin with the Taliban every single day, we had no way to cut our hair and would go 3+ months without a haircut.

Having a lot of hair was a good thing because then the bugs couldn't feast on your scalp for breakfast.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v336/228/37/1071021164/n1071021164_30160028_2346.jpg

3 weeks with no haircut:
http://photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v336/228/37/1071021164/n1071021164_30160135_8663.jpg

5 weeks with no haircut:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v319/228/37/1071021164/n1071021164_30159451_711.jpg

Accord
12-24-08, 06:24 PM
This pic was taken when we went back to a British FOB for the first time in 3 months and the brits let us borrow their hair clippers, first haircut in 3 months:

http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v336/228/37/1071021164/n1071021164_30160138_689.jpg

Quinbo
12-25-08, 06:13 PM
Is this one in regs?

http://funnyhub.com/content_images/2727_1364_afro-hat-haircut.jpg

Wyoming
12-25-08, 08:12 PM
Be your own Marine.

Do your own thing and don't let the little stuff get you down.

Get over it, and when you get your rocker, GET SOME!!