PDA

View Full Version : Corporal Hobart Cobb, USMC and an honored member of leatherneck.com

wrbones
06-09-03, 05:24 PM
http://www.lafollettepress.com/frontpage/marine.html

( Pictures on the link )

Marine recalls service in WWII

By JIM DOSSETT

LaFollette Press Reporter

For many, Memorial Day is over.

Tributes made. Prayers and poems said. Salutes fired. Taps played.

Flags folded into neat little triangles and stashed away until the Fourth of July.

But it’s not over for Hobart Cobb, of LaFollette.

It never will be.

He remembers his comrades and the precious costs of freedom – every waking moment of his life.

"I’m a true patriot – born on the Fourth of July," said Cobb as he thumbed through neatly-put-together scrap books, filled with photos and other memorabilia, and history books chronicling the valorous deeds of men. Men not unlike himself.

He bent over the table, tracing a map with his index finger.

A splinter of afternoon sun, slanting from half-closed blinds, flashed briefly, brilliantly, on the gold Marine Corps emblem dangling from a chain on his neck.

"We landed right here, on White Beach," said Cobb. "It was on the bloody end of the island."

The island was Peleliu, in the South Pacific. It was a battle that was supposed to have lasted three days. When it was done, 73 days later, nearly 9,000 Americans were killed or wounded. Almost 11,000 Japanese were slain.

Survivor 18-year-old Hobart Cobb was a member of the 1st Marine Division under the command of Louis (Chesty) Puller.

"It was 100 to 115 degrees, day and night. The reason it was so hot at night was that the coral absorbed all of the daytime heat," said Cobb, recounting hellacious moments with uncanny accuracy.

But occasionally, he would refer to a well-worn book, "The History of the First Marine Division," to refresh his memory.

"We got this old boy a medal of honor that day – let’s see, what was his name? Here it is, Captain Pope," said Cobb.

He was speaking of the officer who fought alongside him and a hodgepodge group of warriors from ‘A’ Company as they defended Hill 600 in hand-to-hand combat, against hordes of suicidal Japanese soldiers.

"After we got off the beach, we made it to the highlands, to a place called ‘Bloody Nose Ridge.’

"That name’s not in the history books. But Marines have their own names for places, you know?" he laughed. Then he paused, tears puddling in his eyes.

"I get touched just talking about it. But it’s good to do it," he said, composing himself.

The Japanese were unrelenting and continued with their murderous onslaught throughout the night.

"We ran out of ammo. Behind us were cliffs with 150-foot drop-offs. We had nowhere to go," said Cobb.

"I was a featherweight. But some of our bigger boys were picking the Japs up and throwing them over the cliff," he said.

"We fought with empty ammo boxes, ration boxes, rocks, coral, bayonets, bare fists. The adrenaline was flowing. I didn’t have time to think about dying."

Amazingly, Cobb was not wounded during the ferocious encounters.

"Look at this," he said, picking up an ancient watch, wrapped in plastic. "This was blown off my wrist and I didn’t even know it."

Then he presented a necklace strung with metal objects. They were Japanese dog tags. Interspersed with the rusty relics of war was a red flake of plastic.

"I lost my own dog tags during the fighting and one boy carved my name on a piece of a soap container. See, if you look real close you can see my name and serial number," said Cobb.

He continued with his story.

"I hate to tell you that when daybreak came, there was only six of us left out of 56 boys in Company A. But the Japs just stopped fighting. And we walked back to the front lines," he said.

Cobb and his comrades were sent, fresh out of combat, to the island of Pavuvu to retrain.

"In April of ’45, we were sent to Okinawa, for the last big fight of the Pacific. We hardly lost any men, but the Navy caught heck from the kamikazes," said Cobb.

After a six-month stint with occupation forces in China, Cobb mustered out of the Marines.

He’s still a Marine at heart – as much, perhaps more than he was nearly 60 years ago.

And he’s still fighting battles.

"I’ve had melanoma, four bypasses, and now, I have this defibrillator installed – it’s one step above a pace-maker," he said.

However, one of the biggest battles he and his wife of 56 years, Faye, have fought is the recent loss of their daughter, Lisa Diane, to cancer this year.

"When you lose a child – it’s hard," he said. "We laugh a lot about the funny things she did. And we cry a lot. But we go on, with trust in God."

Toward the end of the interview, Cobb led the way to a couch in the corner of the room, where a Marine dress uniform was laid out with museum-like fastidiousness.

"These are my dress blues. I was going to wear them to church [LaFollette Church of God] tomorrow, but I don’t have all of my medals," said Cobb, who only has three of the 12 medals he earned for service to his country.

After a few seconds of coaxing, Cobb was persuaded to don his Marine blouse.

He looked dashing – much younger than his 77 years.

"One of my daughters has a condo in South Carolina. When I visited her, I went to the PX [Post Exchange] at Parris Island and bought these blues," he said, as he fiddled with a button at the neck of the coat.

"These are my first dress blues. I’m going to be buried in them," he said, posing for one more photo.

He jutted out his chin, and stood ramrod straight.

And the camera captured the image of a hero – Corporal Hobart Cobb. Semper Fi.

Semper Fi, Mac.

It's my honor to know you. It is a greater honor to have you call me friend.

Warren Bonesteel
SGT USMC 1976-1983

MarineBrat
06-09-03, 06:25 PM
Now more than ever, we SALUTE and HONOR those who have stepped forward to PROTECT and PRESERVE the Spirit and promise of AMERICA past and present!

Thank you Mr. Cobb

Marine~Brat #5

thedrifter
06-09-03, 06:33 PM
Thank You Warren for putting up this post Honoring Cpl Hobart Cobb. Having known him for over two years, it is my pleasure to call him friend and fellow Brother...........He is a Hero in our books, but he will tell you he is not.........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

mrbsox
06-09-03, 06:53 PM
I don't know HL personally, though I have had he pleasure, and Honor, of speaking with a piece of History, on the phone. At dinner, during the 2003 reunion, JAMarine called Mr. Cobb, and passed the phone around to all of us.

It's hard to say what FEELS better to this 'young' Marine...

The lump in my throat and tear in my eye as I say a prayer of Peace, and Thanks, for Mr. Cobb and his memories,

Or the STEEL that enters my spine as this Marine, tries to uphold the traditions and Honors that Mr. Cobb help earn, for the Corps.

SEMPER FIDELIS We owe it to Marines like H.L. Cobb, to Honor his service.

Thank you Hobart. :marine:

Terry

lurchenstein
06-09-03, 11:06 PM
Corporal Cobb,
God bless You & Your Family & Your Marines.
Semper Fi, Mac! :marine:

CPLRapoza
06-10-03, 02:51 AM
OOH-RAH Corporal Cobb and Thank You for all the sacrifices you've made for this country. You truly are one of the few, the proud a Marine.

wrbones
06-10-03, 03:10 AM
Here's a few folks that might oughta know about Mr. Cobb's missing medals:

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=tn

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Here's an example of what I sent them:

Mr President,

The Marine in the following article has lost the medals he was awarded during his service in WWII. I was wondering if you might expedite this matter for him. He was one of 56 Marines to take a hill on the ridge on Peleliu. He was one of 6 who lived to tell the tale. I am no relation to this man. I know him from the website leatherneck.com. He has called me friend. He is an humble man and probably will not ask or seek these for himself. That is why I'm asking you at the White House to see what you can do for him. If you decide to act, just let him know that another Marine asked this small favor for him. He is a good man, and a better Marine. Actually, a new set of dog tags may mean more to him than the medals.

Warren R. Bonesteel
SGT USMC 1976-1983

http://www.lafollettepress.com/frontpage/marine.html

Marine recalls service in WWII

By JIM DOSSETT

LaFollette Press Reporter ( LaFollette,Tennessee )

For many, Memorial Day is over.

Tributes made. Prayers and poems said. Salutes fired. Taps played.

Flags folded into neat little triangles and stashed away until the Fourth of July.

But it’s not over for Hobart Cobb, of LaFollette.

It never will be.

He remembers his comrades and the precious costs of freedom – every waking moment of his life.

"I’m a true patriot – born on the Fourth of July," said Cobb as he thumbed through neatly-put-together scrap books, filled with photos and other memorabilia, and history books chronicling the valorous deeds of men. Men not unlike himself.

He bent over the table, tracing a map with his index finger.

A splinter of afternoon sun, slanting from half-closed blinds, flashed briefly, brilliantly, on the gold Marine Corps emblem dangling from a chain on his neck.

"We landed right here, on White Beach," said Cobb. "It was on the bloody end of the island."

The island was Peleliu, in the South Pacific. It was a battle that was supposed to have lasted three days. When it was done, 73 days later, nearly 9,000 Americans were killed or wounded. Almost 11,000 Japanese were slain.

Survivor 18-year-old Hobart Cobb was a member of the 1st Marine Division under the command of Louis (Chesty) Puller.

"It was 100 to 115 degrees, day and night. The reason it was so hot at night was that the coral absorbed all of the daytime heat," said Cobb, recounting hellacious moments with uncanny accuracy.

But occasionally, he would refer to a well-worn book, "The History of the First Marine Division," to refresh his memory.

"We got this old boy a medal of honor that day – let’s see, what was his name? Here it is, Captain Pope," said Cobb.

He was speaking of the officer who fought alongside him and a hodgepodge group of warriors from ‘A’ Company as they defended Hill 600 in hand-to-hand combat, against hordes of suicidal Japanese soldiers.

"After we got off the beach, we made it to the highlands, to a place called ‘Bloody Nose Ridge.’

"That name’s not in the history books. But Marines have their own names for places, you know?" he laughed. Then he paused, tears puddling in his eyes.

"I get touched just talking about it. But it’s good to do it," he said, composing himself.

The Japanese were unrelenting and continued with their murderous onslaught throughout the night.

"We ran out of ammo. Behind us were cliffs with 150-foot drop-offs. We had nowhere to go," said Cobb.

"I was a featherweight. But some of our bigger boys were picking the Japs up and throwing them over the cliff," he said.

"We fought with empty ammo boxes, ration boxes, rocks, coral, bayonets, bare fists. The adrenaline was flowing. I didn’t have time to think about dying."

Amazingly, Cobb was not wounded during the ferocious encounters.

"Look at this," he said, picking up an ancient watch, wrapped in plastic. "This was blown off my wrist and I didn’t even know it."

Then he presented a necklace strung with metal objects. They were Japanese dog tags. Interspersed with the rusty relics of war was a red flake of plastic.

"I lost my own dog tags during the fighting and one boy carved my name on a piece of a soap container. See, if you look real close you can see my name and serial number," said Cobb.

He continued with his story.

"I hate to tell you that when daybreak came, there was only six of us left out of 56 boys in Company A. But the Japs just stopped fighting. And we walked back to the front lines," he said.

Cobb and his comrades were sent, fresh out of combat, to the island of Pavuvu to retrain.

"In April of ’45, we were sent to Okinawa, for the last big fight of the Pacific. We hardly lost any men, but the Navy caught heck from the kamikazes," said Cobb.

After a six-month stint with occupation forces in China, Cobb mustered out of the Marines.

He’s still a Marine at heart – as much, perhaps more than he was nearly 60 years ago.

And he’s still fighting battles.

"I’ve had melanoma, four bypasses, and now, I have this defibrillator installed – it’s one step above a pace-maker," he said.

However, one of the biggest battles he and his wife of 56 years, Faye, have fought is the recent loss of their daughter, Lisa Diane, to cancer this year.

"When you lose a child – it’s hard," he said. "We laugh a lot about the funny things she did. And we cry a lot. But we go on, with trust in God."

Toward the end of the interview, Cobb led the way to a couch in the corner of the room, where a Marine dress uniform was laid out with museum-like fastidiousness.

"These are my dress blues. I was going to wear them to church [LaFollette Church of God] tomorrow, but I don’t have all of my medals," said Cobb, who only has three of the 12 medals he earned for service to his country.

After a few seconds of coaxing, Cobb was persuaded to don his Marine blouse.

He looked dashing – much younger than his 77 years.

"One of my daughters has a condo in South Carolina. When I visited her, I went to the PX [Post Exchange] at Parris Island and bought these blues," he said, as he fiddled with a button at the neck of the coat.

"These are my first dress blues. I’m going to be buried in them," he said, posing for one more photo.

He jutted out his chin, and stood ramrod straight.

And the camera captured the image of a hero – Corporal Hobart Cobb. Semper Fi.

JAMarine
06-11-03, 04:23 PM
Hobart knows what he and Faye mean to me and the pride I feel as I call this Man a True Friend but Holy Crap Terry while reading your post about the Steel in your spine: I do believe my back straightened up. LOL

But with all joking aside;

Some may call this Man a Hero. Well I'll let Cobb answer that call. I do know however that this Man captures the hearts of all of us and he stands (8) foot tall in my book. I love this Man as I should have loved my own Father before his death in the early 90's. I'm not that colorful as most with words and I'm not a poet.

Mr. Cobb? I'm proud to know you and more proud you call me a Friend.

Thank You.

rich

p.s.- Thanks for making this post Warren.

JAMarine
06-11-03, 08:06 PM
Bubble This To The Top.

TracGunny
12-13-04, 07:24 PM
Thought I would bring this up for the newer forum members... has anyone heard from Cpl Cobb in the chat room?

greensideout
12-13-04, 08:16 PM
He comes in often. It's always nice to have a chance to tell him hello. Hint, be there before 9 o-clock.

jarheag1943
06-06-07, 02:43 PM
I am sitting at my dad's computer reading the wonderful remarks and can sense the affection and pride you all have for my dad. When his earthly body became bent with his earthly load, God call him to be with Him in heaven. Now daddy is telling the angels what to do!! We feel the love and prayers from all of you. Thank you for caring.

Shelia (Cobb) Jackson