View Full Version : 2nd Marine Division Band spreads holiday cheer

thedrifter
12-20-08, 05:34 AM
2nd Marine Division Band spreads holiday cheer
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
December 19, 2008 - 6:21 PM
JENNIFER HLAD
DAILY NEWS STAFF

The street was dark and empty when the truck pulled up. But as the 2nd Marine Division Band began to play, children poked their heads outside and mothers plugged in the Christmas lights.

By the end of the first carol, families were gathered together in the chilly street, sipping hot chocolate and listening to the songs of the season.

"What a blessing y'all are," Karen Holder told the band. "You are making my Christmas."

Holder, who lives with her son's family at Berkeley Manor, said they were "sitting down for supper" when they heard a band outside. When they ran out, they saw the members of 2nd Marine Division Band in the back of a truck - many wearing Santa hats or reindeer antlers - performing Christmas carols.

The band traveled around Berkeley Manor and Tarawa Terrace on Thursday evening, performing for the families and handing out hot chocolate.

"We do it for morale, a morale booster before the holiday season," said French horn player Cpl. Colby Higgins. "Really, just seeing the looks on everyone's faces ... it's not expected. One night out of the year, you see the Marines walking down your street and playing some music, some good Christmas music. It's pretty exciting."

Clarinet player Cpl. Bianca Yates said she was happy to be able to perform for the military families.

"It feels good, knowing that we're bringing joy to people, especially little kids," she said. "Bringing joy to them makes us feel good and lets us know we're doing our job for a good reason."

Heather Holcomb and her husband were out walking when they saw the band. They ran home to get their children, then followed the band to three different stops to listen.

"It's wonderful," she said. "It's a great thing for a family, especially since people don't carol that much any more."

Holder said the caroling is the type of thing that would only happen at Camp Lejeune.

"I just love this place. What a blessing," she said. "I'm so choked up I can barely speak."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie