PDA

View Full Version : Language Training

BGMFH
12-19-08, 11:44 PM
So apparently the Corps has decided we all rate Rosetta Stone software to learn the language before we deploy...

But does anyone have any idea where we are supposed to get it?

jackson07
12-24-08, 08:43 PM
MarineNet

Learn to do some research. :-P It was in the MarAdmin also.

BGMFH
12-24-08, 11:02 PM
Where on MarineNet though? Couldn't find a download link, just online versions, and supposedly this is to be done on my own time, with my own laptop, which implies download to me.

jackson07
12-25-08, 09:52 AM
You sign up for it like a normal course on Marinenet. In the course list search rosetta stone. It is all online. You don't need to download it. It is like all the other Marinenet courses, you do it online. So yes you need your own computer, or a computer at work, or need to visit the library or the LRC.

brian21johansen
12-25-08, 12:19 PM
You need to make an account first. Then do a search on the website for "Rosetta" and it will come up with a bunch of courses. Just click on one and enroll....make sure you turn off your pop up blocker.

I enrolled for the Arabic one a couple of days ago, but disenrolled and switched to Farsi. I've been told that Farsi is easier to learn and is a better choice over Arabic because it is spoken in Afghanistan. Anybody else here take Farsi? I'm just curious to see how difficult it really is to learn.

bekster2008
12-25-08, 12:32 PM
First off in english Farsi IS Persian...You wouldn't say I am going to learn Francais or espanol...It is pretty easy, most of it is a lot like French since it is an Indo European language...I would say learn Persian first because it is a great bridge language to Arabic.

brian21johansen
12-25-08, 03:49 PM
Alright then Persian it is. I was going to go with something easier like German but it would be more beneficial to me if I learned a language that I could use while deployed.

brian21johansen
12-25-08, 04:32 PM
By the way, would most people here agree that based on the current situation in Iraq/Afghanistan, that Persian would be a better language to learn than Arabic? Arabic is spoken in far more countries by far more people than Persian, but I have been under the impression that being a Marine I am more likely to encounter people who speak Persian. Any thought on this? I don't want to start learning a language only to find out later that I won't have any way of using it. Thanks for any help......I tried to add this to my other post but it was too late and I couldn't add it.

jackson07
12-25-08, 08:20 PM
We are increasing our mission in persian and pashtu.. either of those are great. But learning arabic is the best. It will allow you to learn the other "dirty" arabic languages at a faster pace.