PDA

View Full Version : Students perform live for soldiers in Iraq

thedrifter
12-19-08, 06:53 AM
FRENCH VALLEY: Students perform live for soldiers in Iraq

By Cathy Redfern - For The Californian

FRENCH VALLEY ---- Temecula Valley Charter School on Thursday became a meeting ground for those at the school and men and women serving in the military in Iraq.

Students staged a USO-style holiday performance, which was linked by live video to troops in Iraq, courtesy of the New York-based Freedom Calls Foundation.

Because of that link, a group of Marines on the other side of the world were able to see kindergartners crooning about Santa Claus, third-graders playing Jingle Bells on flutes, a rendition of "A Charlie Brown Christmas," and more.

The Marines' voices rang out near the end of the show, as they wished everyone a merry Christmas.

After the performance, as students headed back to their classrooms and most audience members headed home, some women ducked into the school library.

There, school officials and a parent had arranged for nine hours of video conference that allowed family members to speak to loved ones in Iraq.

The parent, Lisa Bolin, has a son in first grade at the school and a husband serving his third tour in Iraq.

Gunnery Sgt. Rick Bolin will be home "in 51 days," she said with a smile.

Thursday, the family spent an hour speaking with him and seeing him on a video screen. During that time, the couple's three children opened some Christmas gifts.

"It can be hard," she said. "But this way, the kids can have some Christmas with Daddy."

One military man in the audience said he was sure the show and the conferences were appreciated.

Charles Davis of Winchester got home from a naval deployment two weeks ago and was able to see his daughter, Monique, sing and dance in the school's holiday tribute.

He said he remembers spending Christmas in the Persian Gulf four years ago.

"I'm sure it warmed their hearts to see the kids perform, especially at this time of year," he said. "It was beautiful."

The holiday tribute included video of community members speaking to those in the service, sending thanks and holiday wishes, and of United Service Organizations performances from years past starring Bob Hope, Brooke Shields and others.

The USO shows have been "bringing a little bit of home" to service members around the world since the 1940s, said Sean Sheldrake, the school's music teacher and an organizer of the tribute.

Jason Luna watched the show with his mother, Joy Frankland, who works at the school.

Luna is in the Army and served in Iraq two years ago during Christmas.

"It was rough," he said. "But it's rougher for the family, I think. I didn't really think about it ---- I just had a job to do."

Principal Jo Ann Burnett said it does seem emotional for family members and that some of the women had tears in their eyes after speaking to their husbands on video.

"I'm so happy we were able to do this," Burnett said.

Bolin said her younger son, 4-year-old Steven, asked her Wednesday night, as he was falling asleep, if tomorrow would be the day he would get to see his dad.

His dad has been gone 11 months, she said, and the phone calls are "hit and miss."

Lately, the family has gotten to speak with him about every two weeks.

"It can be very emotional and hard, but we do OK," Bolin said. "Christmas morning they will want to see Dad. He's missed a lot. But he loves his country."

Ellie