PDA

View Full Version : Office Christmas tree sends goodwill overseas

thedrifter
12-18-08, 02:38 PM
12/18/2008
Office Christmas tree sends goodwill overseas
By: Mischa Aaron Arnosky , Staff Writer

For the past several years, the Christmas tree in the office at the Sigel Insurance Group in Schwenksville has had a theme, rather than being a conglomeration of ornaments. The snowman themed tree, the retro-decorated tree and even the office's upside down tree of three years back take a backseat to this year's installment.

Organized by Amy Sheppard, a receptionist at Sigel for 21 years, the tree this year has a patriotic theme, as does the tree at the White House this year.
Sheppard's nephew, U.S. Marines Sgt. Paul Houseknecht, is stationed in Afghanistan and has been there for six months. Sheppard said while speaking with her sister she found that Houseknecht and his fellow marines are in need of hand wipes, candy, beef jerky and razors. Sheppard gathered the items with her coworkers and sent them, along with a note of good wishes and pictures of the decked-out red, white and blue tree to Afghanistan.
"My coworkers are very excited about helping to send things over," Sheppard said. "They were also excited about decorating the tree with homemade ornaments."
Sheppard said she expects her nephew to receive the packages any day now, as they were sent at the end of November. She said that Houseknecht is in good spirits, adding that he is particularly proud of the schools being built for the Afghani children.
"It just warmed my heart to hear what some of our military are doing over there and I'm very proud of him," Sheppard said. "Everyone had a hand in getting something for the care package and adding something to the tree - it's such a wonderful team effort that we have going on here."

Ellie