PDA

View Full Version : From underneath the shadow of the flag - New Marine stands tall for his great uncle,

thedrifter
06-09-03, 06:19 AM
From underneath the shadow of the flag - New Marine stands tall for his great uncle, country
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 200366124353
Story by Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 6, 2003) -- Growing up listening to tales of a family member who witnessed what possibly ranks among the greatest moments of Marine Corps history, the flag raising on Iwo Jima, leaves no surprise this young man would want to be part of the same celebrated military branch that he heard so much about.

"Every time I see a picture, statue or Marine Corps emblem it brings a sense of pride to me," said Lance Cpl. Lex D. Keen, company honorman, Company F.

"Just knowing that I am related to someone who was there is motivating. I have a lot to live up to," he said.

Keen's great uncle, Andy Carter, was on Iwo Jima and witnessed that famous flag raising in 1945.

This new Marine has already overcome obstacles that lead many recruits to pack up and go home: getting injured in recruit training and adjusting to the rigid demands of military life.

"I spent a month in Medical Rehabilitation Platoon after getting stress fractures in both heels," said the 25-year-old Texas native. "The biggest challenge was adjusting to military life - losing my identity and becoming part of a team."

But he overcame those challenges in a big way. After returning to training with a new company, Keen was ready to show what he was made of.

"He came out of MRP disciplined and wanting to train," said Staff Sgt. Todd A. Leach, senior drill instructor, Platoon 2074. "I saw in him characteristics of my past guides - discipline, a desire to lead, and I could see there was more to him than just following orders."

Leach's experience proved to be right. Keen came to the platoon as an outsider of a group that had been training together for three weeks and instantly proved his desire to finish recruit training stronger than when he started.

"I became the guide after just three days of being with Platoon 2074," said Keen. "I sounded off louder and moved faster than the person who was the guide."

After spending four months on Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Keen is ready for an overdue reunion with his family and a chance to meet his new nephew. Before his injury, Keen was set to be home before his sister was due to give birth.

"I am so proud of him and am glad he stuck with it through his injury," said Keen's sister, 22-year-old Kristi Wyzuikowski. "We are ready for him to come home. His nephews and niece want their Uncle 'Chippy' home again."

His parents are eager to see him again and watch him grow in his new career.

"He has always been interested in the military," said Tracie Keen, his mother. "This will be a great opportunity for him to grow and find himself."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200366124535/$file/Recruit_Keen_lr.jpg

Lance Cpl. Lex D. Keen Jr., Platoon 2074, Company F, makes sure that his ribbon and shooting badge are properly placed in preparation for the battalion commander's inspection.
Photo by: Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
06-09-03, 07:36 AM
What ribbon do they get?

sgtfowler
06-09-03, 01:48 PM
National Defense Medal