PDA

View Full Version : Company B Marines reunite with family

thedrifter
06-08-03, 04:02 PM
Company B Marines reunite with family

Posted: 06/07/2003 05:47 pm

They left their families in January and traveled thousands of miles away to fight in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Five months later, the Marines from Engineer Company B have returned home.

Saturday is their first day back home from the war in Iraq.

The rear party
Ten Marines from Company B did not return Saturday. They're called the rear party and are responsible for getting the gear and equipment to ship back to South Bend.

Timeline
The men were activated on January 14 before the war began. The group left South Bend on January 25 for Camp Pendleton, California where they stayed for seven days. Then, they flew to Kuwait to serve as a support group during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

On May 30, Company B returned back to Camp Pendleton where the men underwent physical and mental evaluations as well as reunion classes.

They flew into Chicago around 10 PM Friday before boarding a bus bound for South Bend.

Before seeing their families
At O’Hare, NewsCenter 16 spoke with some of the Marines to find out how they were feeling before they met up with their friends and families.

Corporal Eric Johnson says, "It feels great to be back here. It’s kind of overwhelming right now. We’ve been back in California for about a week now but it feels even better to be closer to home. Not yet quite at home, but closer to home.”

Finally home
After a three-hour bus ride from Chicago to South Bend, the Marines finally met up with their loved ones.

For young Marine wives, the last five months have been tough. For many of those in Company B, this was the longest time they've ever been apart.

This is the story of two couples who endured the separation. Like many others around her, Jackie Hart of LaPorte was waiting for her husband Jason who she has been married to for two years. Jackie said, “It's been awhile. It's been a long time."

Happy to be home, Jason says, "[It’s] better than being out in the desert, so…good to be home."

The Mayne family
As for Chris Mayne, the days of not knowing are over. She says, “The hardest part for me of this whole thing was just the uncertainty. Not really knowing what was going on and just having to live minute by minute and day by day rather than having everything planned out as we usually do."

Josh Mayne says, “I miss my wife terribly and everyday it hurt to be away from her."

What’s next
After a short formation to pass-on some information, these Marines were free to go home.

Jackie says, “They've told us that he will be home for four days and they'll have to come back here for a debriefing, paperwork, things of that nature and then he should be home probably permanently after that."

Capt. Casey Barnes says, “They're going to come back Wednesday morning. We're just going to start the demobilization process. Right now we don't have a date when they're going to be physically demobilized and be off active duty but it'll be soon coming forth from headquarters Marine Corps."

It is possible that Engineering Company B could be activated again, but for now that long-awaited freedom is finally here.

http://www.wndu.com/news/062003/news_20291.php

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
06-08-03, 04:03 PM
Marines come home expecting and meeting new babies

Posted: 06/07/2003 09:27 pm

Goshen Marine wife Amber Cameron says, “He's been gone for about 4 1/2 months.” But early Saturday morning Travis Cameron along with, Sean Justice and more than 100 other Company B Marines came home.

North Judson Marine wife Alyssa Justice admits a lot has happened since her husband Sean was deployed back in January and she like Cameron's wife Amber says it was torture trying to pinpoint when exactly her husband was coming home.

Alyssa says, “Jenna started walking. Lillian does here ABC's and has been potty trained." Amber says, "It's been an emotional roller coaster."

Both Amber and Alyssa looked a little different last time they saw their husbands. Amber who is now 5 months pregnant didn't look pregnant. "We found out I was pregnant 2 weeks later and it's been rough," she says.

On the other hand, Alyssa did, but 7 weeks ago baby Gabriel was born. Early Saturday morning Gabriel got to meet his father and Travis was reunited with Amber and is looking forward to the future.

He says, "I'm going to have a kid. Yeah I'm excited. Totally excited."

http://www.wndu.com/news/062003/news_20300.php

Sempers,

Roger