PDA

View Full Version : MEW Question

Coda
12-17-08, 07:51 PM
Quick couple of questions for all the Marines out there.

MEW.. i want to get on one, Ive herd great things.. and i want in!
how and where do i go about getting on the next MEW to Iraq? or where ever it goes?

Question. 2
Afghan.. ive not been there yet, if the MEW stops there is it classed as a deployment to the country?

Thanks in advance for replys.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-17-08, 10:45 PM
Mew?

CBRN5711Tech
12-17-08, 10:50 PM
Talk to your chain of command. But I don't think you even know what you're asking to go on

Enigmatic
12-17-08, 10:56 PM
What the hell is a MEW? And you're asking about blankets too? WTF over?

CBRN5711Tech
12-17-08, 11:00 PM
I think that is the sound a kitten makes

Coda
12-17-08, 11:43 PM
Sorry i ment to say MEU

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-18-08, 12:15 AM
OK, I admit it- I am totally lost. You're a Cpl according to your avatar, but your profile says you're an E-1. Something needs to be updated.

Regardless, if you've risen to the rank of Cpl and you haven't been on a MEU, it sounds as if your MOS is one of those that isn't needed for the normal MEU operations (I know about that, I had one of those jobs myself.) You can still get hooked up on a MEU, because there are people needed to do jobs that aren't normal MOS's and that the units don't want to chop someone to. It may be mess duty, it may be laundry duty, or it may be giving the safety brief to grunts about to get on helos.

If you want it to happen, talk to your Platoon Sgt, Company Gunny, or First Sgt. If a hole opens, they probably wouldn't have a problem in letting you go. Unless your unit needs you for their own upcoming deployment or something along those lines.

rheinmark187
12-18-08, 09:16 AM
Quick couple of questions for all the Marines out there.

MEW.. i want to get on one, Ive herd great things.. and i want in!
how and where do i go about getting on the next MEW to Iraq? or where ever it goes?

Question. 2
Afghan.. ive not been there yet, if the MEW stops there is it classed as a deployment to the country?

Thanks in advance for replys.

If the MEU stops there, ist it classed as a deployment to the country?

You realize that Afghanistan is a landlocked country right? If it was possible for the MEU to stop near afghanistan, would you be such a liar as to say that you were deployed there, when you were just off the coast??

KawiGunny
12-18-08, 09:33 AM
If the MEU stops there, ist it classed as a deployment to the country?

You realize that Afghanistan is a landlocked country right? If it was possible for the MEU to stop near afghanistan, would you be such a liar as to say that you were deployed there, when you were just off the coast??

The MEU's do go in country. They have ever since this war began with Afghanistan and carried over to Iraq. We have done operations with the MEU when they came in country in both places.

rheinmark187
12-18-08, 12:18 PM
The MEU's do go in country. They have ever since this war began with Afghanistan and carried over to Iraq. We have done operations with the MEU when they came in country in both places.

That's correct Gunnery Sergeant. What I thought he was trying to ask was if the MEU made a stop as in if it were off the coast of Afghanistan, would it count as a deployment. Something similar happened when I was on the MEU where people were agitating for a combat action ribbon because they were on the ship when the BLT went ashore.

There was also another thing I recall where some of the men from 1/8 who were left behind during an important operation were overheard talking about what they were going to tell their family and friends afterwards. One guy said he was going to get as many pictures as he could and was going to use it to "get laid." The others corrected him real quick.

It sounded like he was asking something similar to this.

KawiGunny
12-18-08, 12:30 PM
That's correct Gunnery Sergeant. What I thought he was trying to ask was if the MEU made a stop as in if it were off the coast of Afghanistan, would it count as a deployment. Something similar happened when I was on the MEU where people were agitating for a combat action ribbon because they were on the ship when the BLT went ashore.

There was also another thing I recall where some of the men from 1/8 who were left behind during an important operation were overheard talking about what they were going to tell their family and friends afterwards. One guy said he was going to get as many pictures as he could and was going to use it to "get laid." The others corrected him real quick.

It sounded like he was asking something similar to this.

True. He wasn't crystal clear on what he was asking.

Had a couple of young Marines once that used their pictures to their advantage. They told me their stories when they cam back off block leave after we returned from Afghanistan. Boy, there are so really stupid "split tails" out there.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-18-08, 11:22 PM
"MEW". Hilarious.

A bit of history for the buffs...the original "MEU" (Marine Expeditionary Unit) was actually called a "MAU", "Marine Amphibious Unit", because the powers that be in the late 70's thought the "Expedtionary" title sounded 'imperialist' or some such nonsense. I believe it was Commandant Al Gray who ordered the change back to "MEU".

Elements of a MEU (it might have been my old unit, 24th MEU) did in fact land in Afganistan and conducted one of the longest overland from ship (Power from the sea) operations ever done, in 2002 I believe.

To get to the MEU, you would first need to be someplace OTHER than Washington DC, such as Camp Lejeune or Pendleton...or Okinawa. You would then have to request, through your chain of command, assignment to same. In 2nd FSSG when I was there, it was the first question you were asked when you checked in "When do you want to do your float?" Note that I said the question was "When" and not "If" or "Would you LIKE..." If you chose "As soon as possible" you were shipped out to the next MSSG (MEU Service Support Group, now renamed) going out with whatever MEU was next scheduled, and needed your MOS.

Therefore, you should first get orders to one of those places, then make your request.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-18-08, 11:40 PM
It was a MEU before it was a MAU before it was a MEU...

The story I heard was that "expeditionary" sounded "french" to the Vietnamese, so the change was made. Al Gray didn't like PC BS, so he changed it back.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-19-08, 12:15 AM
THAT's it. I couldn't remember. I knew that it was the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade that landed at Da-Nang, '65, but couldn't recall when the change was made from that. (My old SNCOIC was in that op, BTW).

thewookie
12-19-08, 07:42 AM
He meant Moooooo

Mooooooo

Mooooooo

BR34
12-19-08, 09:28 AM
"
Elements of a MEU (it might have been my old unit, 24th MEU) did in fact land in Afganistan and conducted one of the longest overland from ship (Power from the sea) operations ever done, in 2002 I believe.

I believe one of my Cpls was on that MEU. He said they were in Spain when they heard they were going to Afghanistan. They stopped in Quatar or Barain (one of those tiny countries over there, can't remember clearly). They off loaded everything they needed, then flew in to Afghanistan from there.

Coda
12-19-08, 08:30 PM
Question.. im in reserve time so im no longer at NC or CA so can i deploy on a MEU in reserve status?

Sgt Leprechaun
12-20-08, 07:32 PM
Possibly, if there are boatspaces available for your MOS. You'd have to start by checking with your reserve unit. Don't assume this will be an easy task but you can give it a shot.

Coda
12-20-08, 11:21 PM
I talked to the unit Sgt and they dont know or care about it so im trying to find out on my own any further advice please like contacting the MEU's directly if thats at all possible. My Mos is 3500 (Motor T)