PDA

View Full Version : Your first Marine memory?

mgkusmc
12-17-08, 03:42 AM
Mine would be in mid May 1996 a former student of my mothers Lance Corporal Jackie Paul Chidester had been killed on May 10, 1996 when the helicopter he was in crashed during "Combined Joint Task Force Exercise 96"

I remember my mother went to the funeral but I stayed home. At one point my father had to go out to the high school where they were holding the funeral service in the gymnasium cause that was the only place they could find to accommodate everyone. I remember it clear as day, pulling into the parking lot and seeing the van that carried the honor guard to the funeral, there was a Marine in dress blues standing guard at the vehicle, I didnt get to go into the gymnasium where the service was being held my mother met us in the lobby. But later on that night was the high schools Prom and I was there early in the evening with my mom to help set up and I remember walking into the gymnasium and finding a single rose laying on the floor.

Now that wasnt a turning point in my life where I stood straight and said I'm gonna be a Marine or any motovational crap like that.....its just the first memory I have of the United States Marine Corps....and the first true memory I have of sacrifice.

mcvet57103
12-18-08, 01:49 PM
My first experience with the Marines that I remember was my Dad saying to me "Go get my Marine Duty Belt". Was the first of many azz whoopins over the years. I earned every one for doing stupid chit. I was born after Dad got out, but he kept the leather dress belt. They were leather instead of cloth back in the 50s. Damn that belt lasted a long time. I was the only one of 7 kids he whipped. Looking back I realize he saw my potential and rode me harder.

Chumley
12-18-08, 02:52 PM
I was not someone who was planning to join the Marines. I never really considered any military career. I started my first full time job two days after I graduated HS. I worked for about 7 months, then got winter seasonal lay-off for no seniority (construction). I collected unenjoyment for 4 months until the recruiter called Monday morning. Bored out of mind and seeing zero life options, I set an appointment with the fine SSgt. Tues am at 10 am sharp he was at my door. 30 hours later I was sworn in at MEPS and I shipped about 3 weeks later, open contract. SSgt said, make it through Boot Camp and they'll give you a job. Sounded fair to me.

So I knew NOTHING in advance. I didn't hang out at the recruiter's office, I didn't do any DEP or Poolie events...didn't even know to ask if there were such things...I just go to Boot Camp and it'll take care of itself....it did.

The first interesting memory: I got off the plane in Savannah? and looked around and saw a Marine and said to myself: "He's the guy to ask where I go next. So I walk up, all smiling and polite. Hi, How ya doin'? I'm lookin' for.....

WHAT'S YOUR NAME!
Chad Smith...is this where I check in......

GET YOUR STINKIN' EYEBALLS OFF ME. GET IN THAT CHAIR, THERE, NOW. SIT DOWN. SIT UP STRAIGHT. HANDS PALMS DOWN ON YOUR LAP. EYES STRAIGHT AHEAD. FEET TOGETHER AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE. HEELS TOUCHING. NO TALKING - NO CHIT-CHAT. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I did exactly as I was told, and I said to myself...yep...this is the right place.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-18-08, 03:03 PM
The first memory I have of the Marine Corps is probably the barracks bombing in Beirut followed by Grenada. Both had an impact on me, but it was just the beginning of the journey that eventually brought me into the Marine Corps.

sparkie
12-18-08, 03:12 PM
Don't know for sure, but as a kid, I remember "The Sands of Iwo Jima" ripping my heart out. I've followed that feeling ever since. Kinda like "Tell It To The Marines".

mgkusmc
12-18-08, 03:31 PM
I was not someone who was planning to join the Marines. I never really considered any military career. I started my first full time job two days after I graduated HS. I worked for about 7 months, then got winter seasonal lay-off for no seniority (construction). I collected unenjoyment for 4 months until the recruiter called Monday morning. Bored out of mind and seeing zero life options, I set an appointment with the fine SSgt. Tues am at 10 am sharp he was at my door. 30 hours later I was sworn in at MEPS and I shipped about 3 weeks later, open contract. SSgt said, make it through Boot Camp and they'll give you a job. Sounded fair to me.

So I knew NOTHING in advance. I didn't hang out at the recruiter's office, I didn't do any DEP or Poolie events...didn't even know to ask if there were such things...I just go to Boot Camp and it'll take care of itself....it did.

The first interesting memory: I got off the plane in Savannah? and looked around and saw a Marine and said to myself: "He's the guy to ask where I go next. So I walk up, all smiling and polite. Hi, How ya doin'? I'm lookin' for.....

WHAT'S YOUR NAME!
Chad Smith...is this where I check in......

GET YOUR STINKIN' EYEBALLS OFF ME. GET IN THAT CHAIR, THERE, NOW. SIT DOWN. SIT UP STRAIGHT. HANDS PALMS DOWN ON YOUR LAP. EYES STRAIGHT AHEAD. FEET TOGETHER AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE. HEELS TOUCHING. NO TALKING - NO CHIT-CHAT. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I did exactly as I was told, and I said to myself...yep...this is the right place.

Nice you got to sit down when you first got off the plane. They had the 12 of us on my flight stand in formation facing the wall....lol.

DocGreek
12-18-08, 03:55 PM
December, 20th, 1968.....arrived at Camp Pendleton, for Field Med. School. First morning there, woken up at 04:30, for PT, before chow. In chow line, a Marine pushed me out of the way, to move up. Didn't look at his stripes.....cold cocked the son of a b****! Two Marines grabbed me and a third, beat me senseless. The Marine, I smacked, was a SSGT! I, broke his cheek bone, and gave him TWO black eyes! I, got two busted ribs, a broken nose, and TWO black eyes! Every time I went to the chow line, after that.......I was "Killer!" Got written up, of course, and lost E-4, but remember it, like it was yesterday!! When a Brother Corpsman, in my Company, was KIA, in June, 1969, I got promoted, Meritoriously, to E-4. Really SUCKED!!......SEMPER FI......Doc Greek

Marine84
12-18-08, 04:16 PM
When 2 Marines came and knocked on our front door 12 Aug 69 and my Mom going to pieces.

davblay
12-18-08, 04:44 PM
In July 1957, I was 6 years old. My Brother (the Gunny) and I were setting in front of our house in Detroit watching it rain and listening to the radio, he pulled out a Marine Corps brochure that had a Marine wearing Dress Blues on the front of it. He was 16 at the time, but he said "Dave, I'm gonna get me one of those outfits when I'm 18, just wait and see"! Being a kid of 6, I said "me too"! He joined when he was 18 and I went when I was 17, nine years later. He left in 1960 and I left in May, 1969. He has been my inspiration for all these years, still is! I am proud to call him "GUNNY" and my brother, in both ways! Between him and my two other brothers, we have over 75 years in the Marine Corps and the Army. No Sailors or Airmen!

I guess you could say we are a Military Family, huh?

Semper Fi,

Dave

Marine1955
12-18-08, 05:50 PM
when my cousin came to live with us at memphis tn... during the week he went to school at mill. navel air station memphis tn. and on weekends he came home for liberty.i saw how good he looked in his uniform ,cause all the girls went crazy over him, so i had to go. so at 17 i quite school and went to the corps

rut4256
12-18-08, 06:29 PM
When I was a very small kid, I remember my dad (former USMC Sgt Korean War) would come home once a year (smelling like booze) after work saying that it was the Marine Corps Birthday and he was celebrating with other former Marines at the local pub. Semper Fi

Maldonado 2060
12-18-08, 07:00 PM
My first real life(not t.v. stuff) memory is of my recruiter Ssgt.Castineda. I had finished just about everything for meps except the IST. I had been lucky to get the open spot but I was out of shape. I almost fell out a 1/4 mile into the 1.5 mile run. That Marine did not hesitate to run and motivate me. He ran 1.25 miles in Dress blue charlies in 40 degree weather.While I had snot and siliva all over me as I layed on the ground he looked like he just got ready for work.

Phantom Blooper
12-18-08, 07:54 PM
"Son,you can do it the easy way,the hard way or the Marine Corps way!"

Warren M Hall
BuckSGT WWII
1921-2005

On doing chores around the house,work and life!