PDA

View Full Version : Dog Tag on Boots

119Wrestler
12-16-08, 10:02 PM
I know I havent earned the title of Marine yet, so I'm kind of ahead of myself.
But I was just wondering, a while back my friend who is a former Marine told me that only Marines that have been deployed can have their dog tag on their boot, is that true?

CarolinaMarine
12-16-08, 10:11 PM
Not sure i've ever heard that being the case. They make you wear it like that in boot camp (though not a true dog tag).

119Wrestler
12-16-08, 10:12 PM
Oh, what do you mean its not a true dog tag?

CarolinaMarine
12-16-08, 10:14 PM
It has limited info on it compared to the tags you get issued when you leave bootcamp. Very basic.

119Wrestler
12-16-08, 10:20 PM
Oh that's cool. I was just wondering, thanks.

ecom
12-16-08, 11:03 PM
It also depends on the unit you are assigned to. Not everyone is required to wear those.

re8elmonk0341
12-17-08, 12:31 AM
In my old unit we had to have our dog tags in our left boot. But I made my guys have it in both their left and right boot....You never know!!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-17-08, 12:45 AM
For most of my career only a few people did it, most just thought it was silly. Then we got a new Sgt. Maj. If he saw the tag in someone's boot he'd ask if they were planning on losing a leg. When they said no, he'd tell them to get the tag out of their boot.

Pete0331
12-17-08, 04:45 AM
For most of my career only a few people did it, most just thought it was silly. Then we got a new Sgt. Maj. If he saw the tag in someone's boot he'd ask if they were planning on losing a leg. When they said no, he'd tell them to get the tag out of their boot.

What a tool.
We should probably stop wearing dog tags for uniform inspections because we don't plan on loosing our torso on the parade deck.

The tag in the boot is a tradition. In fact dog tags in general are a tradition.
If you get hit they aren't going to use dog tags as a form of identification.

Rule was that you wait until you get to your unit before placing it in your left boot.
My unit required it while I was there.

KawiGunny
12-17-08, 07:56 AM
Back when MGen Jones and MGen Livingston were the Division Commanders of the 2nd MarDiv. It was an order. Can't remember which MGen had the helm at the time. I wore one of my tags in my left boot since early to mid 90's. In Afghanistan and Iraq, our Bn CO's recommended that we put one in each boot as well as the one around our neck. Never knew when or how your number was going to be called.

Enigmatic
12-17-08, 12:12 PM
I used to laugh at my fellow boots who were in Admin School with me and would wear their dog tags in their boots. Like, what, is a hajji gonna lob an RPG at you while you're learning how to do an AA Form? :D

I didn't do it at H&S BN in Oki, but I did at 3rd FAST.

WKranz
12-17-08, 05:20 PM
When i got to my unit i was chewed out for not having it in my boot. But I had been told at SOI to take it out. It all depends on who is in charge of you.

119Wrestler
12-17-08, 05:47 PM
In Afghanistan and Iraq, our Bn CO's recommended that we put one in each boot as well as the one around our neck

I thought you had 2 dog tags around your neck?

SGT7477
12-18-08, 04:40 PM

Still do,lmfao.:flag:

119Wrestler
12-18-08, 05:51 PM
lol

Sgt Leprechaun
12-19-08, 12:01 AM
You'll eventually end up with multiple sets of dog tags.

And, it was a requirement with 24th MEU when I was with them in 1998-2000. Left boot.

Different commands, however, have different quirks and rules. Don't sweat the small stuff, your squad leader/NCOIC will square you away when you get to that point.

SgtHMH
12-19-08, 01:02 AM
We had to have them in both boots left and right, around neck. Some MOSs don't want you to wear them around your neck while working around things because the chain can get fried and then cook your neck. Like from batteries, electrical, static and so on. The Dog Tag it self can also get cooked from differant things and burn your body.

119Wrestler
12-19-08, 10:53 PM
Oh ok cool.
It just came to mind and decided to ask haha
Thanks.

Old Marine
12-20-08, 10:25 AM
Wore mine around my neck for 20 years and never had a problem.

Quinbo
12-20-08, 12:36 PM
Popular trend when I was in was for Marines to get a tatoo identical to their dog tags; just below their arm pit. They called it a meat tag. Good artists did them chains and all with both tags.

119Wrestler
12-20-08, 12:53 PM
That would be a sick tattoo

Blackhailfire
12-21-08, 12:33 PM
One in the left boot. Wore it there since I joined my first unit. Airborne operations require you to NOT wear them on your neck for the duration of the operation.

KawiGunny
12-21-08, 01:20 PM

If you deploy much you always want to have several extra tags. Even if you don't deploy much it is still good to have some extra.

ZSKI
12-21-08, 03:24 PM
We lace ours into our boots. Your not allowed to wear them around your neck when your working with HE might get caught in a spinning engine and get you pulled in

Pete0331
12-21-08, 03:55 PM
We lace ours into our boots. Your not allowed to wear them around your neck when your working with HE might get caught in a spinning engine and get you pulled in

Non-offical SOP was to loop them through a belt loop and stuff them in a pocket in addition to the tag in the left boot.

Accord
12-21-08, 04:25 PM
I never wore one in my boot in Afghanistan, it doesn't matter, it's just an old tradition and has no real use anymore and everyone in your company knows who the hell you are. Nowadays we use zap codes for calling in CASEVACs and having your zap code written on your helmet, a card with your zap code in your left arm pocket or wherever your SOP requires, etc. is far more important than wearing dog tags. You want people to know your zap code, not your religion of preference, and you want people to know your zap code IMMEDIATELY, not to have to read your dogtags and then try and piece together the information to get your zap code.

ZSKI
12-22-08, 12:44 PM
Non-offical SOP was to loop them through a belt loop and stuff them in a pocket in addition to the tag in the left boot.

Im dead serious for this reason, command thought doing that made you look like a bag of ass when your working without a blouse on

KawiGunny
12-22-08, 01:31 PM
I never wore one in my boot in Afghanistan, it doesn't matter, it's just an old tradition and has no real use anymore and everyone in your company knows who the hell you are. Nowadays we use zap codes for calling in CASEVACs and having your zap code written on your helmet, a card with your zap code in your left arm pocket or wherever your SOP requires, etc. is far more important than wearing dog tags. You want people to know your zap code, not your religion of preference, and you want people to know your zap code IMMEDIATELY, not to have to read your dogtags and then try and piece together the information to get your zap code.

The zap codes you are talking about are a very good idea. We used them also. However, we had a HMMWV hit an IED that was large enough to change the orbital direction of the earth. There were 4 Marines in that vehicle. Two of them were identified pretty quickly. The other two took a little longer. We think we put the right parts in the right bag. Clothing was burnt so the zap tag and helmet cover were of no use. They were part of our scout sniper platoon and didn't wear dog tags at all. They thought they were to cool for that. I know and understand the reason behind it but there are ways of silenceing your tags.

My opinion is to use both means of identification when in the sandbox or any other conflict/war.

echo3oscar1833
12-22-08, 01:31 PM
We had to put a tag in our left boot, in 2nd Tracks it was pretty much Battalion SOP at the time. Like all the other Marines said, it pretty much depends on the Unit, and what the Higher Ups want.

Allen870922
12-24-08, 01:08 PM
I keep mine in my boots. Don't wear mine around my neck though. I dumby cord it to my belt loop and put them in my pocket.

Mareen
01-13-09, 07:10 AM
Not true. It is required to have a dog tag in your boot even if you have never deployed. I was in Cherry Point and they made SURE I had a tag in my boot. It is also apart of your inspection at Corporal's Course, etc. But you won't see that for years =).

commdog7
01-13-09, 12:13 PM
Your boots may be the only part of you that survives an explosion (etc.). That's why we wear one in our boots- it's what my unit had us do while we were over there.

Petz
01-13-09, 12:18 PM
What a tool.
We should probably stop wearing dog tags for uniform inspections because we don't plan on loosing our torso on the parade deck.

The tag in the boot is a tradition. In fact dog tags in general are a tradition.
If you get hit they aren't going to use dog tags as a form of identification.

Rule was that you wait until you get to your unit before placing it in your left boot.
My unit required it while I was there.

a tradition??? are you serious???

we had them around our necks on leather shoelaces with a bite on there so the corpsman can get it wedged into our teeth when we die... then he takes the other for record keeping... that only started in WWII

what tradition is that regarding to boots???

and when you have a Plt Sgt who doesn't have a DNA testing maching in his cargo pocket, he's going to use dog tags to identify a dead Marine....

ever see Platoon?? that's a perfect reason why.....

doc get's mad that the guy didn't have one in his boot and the mortar took the guys head off along with the tags.... "...how am I supposed to know who this is..."

yeah... if I'm wrong then please PM your source of information.

semper help!!!!:iwo:

Petz
01-13-09, 12:20 PM
Not true. It is required to have a dog tag in your boot even if you have never deployed. I was in Cherry Point and they made SURE I had a tag in my boot. It is also apart of your inspection at Corporal's Course, etc. But you won't see that for years =).

it all depends on your command... I wore it in '03... after it hurt the top of my foot, I took it out and never put it back in...

medical tags are mandatory.

those are red, and they tell the corpsman about allergies and any other medical condition that the navy has a red flag about.

SSgt Ramsey
04-25-09, 08:15 AM
KawiGunny is correct, at least if you're a member under the umbrella of II MEF, the dog-tag in the boot was mandatory, although I can't remember when it was enstated.

As SgtLeprechaun mentioned, his MEU required it, and when I was out with 26th MEU in 96-97, it was also a requirement regardless of what your MOS was.

I have my Grandfather's dog-tag from WW II...it has a "notch" in it for lack of a better word to be wedged between the teeth for the KIA's and the return home.

The information on them then was much different than now. Here's what is on his dogtag:

Clayton Garceau
XXX46702 T42 43 0
Amelia Garceau (his mother's name)
Bradley, ME (where he was from)

I found a website in the past that explained the number system above, but I can't find it again it seems...something to do with immunizations etc. and other coded info that the Army used.

Alisium
04-25-09, 10:33 AM
I had two taped together around my neck and one in my left boot. It was mandatory for all Marines in my BN.

I also kept a spare or two in my pack.

ggyoung
04-25-09, 12:41 PM
That notch in the old style dog tags was not for wedging between the teeth. That natch is were the tag was in the embossing machine. The myth about jamming between the teeth was started to impress the Ladies.

SSgt Ramsey
04-25-09, 12:44 PM
Wow, thanks for setting me straight....I guess I heard it, it made sense, and became "fact" for me....cool info....

Pete0331
04-25-09, 01:15 PM
a tradition??? are you serious???

we had them around our necks on leather shoelaces with a bite on there so the corpsman can get it wedged into our teeth when we die... then he takes the other for record keeping... that only started in WWII

what tradition is that regarding to boots???

and when you have a Plt Sgt who doesn't have a DNA testing maching in his cargo pocket, he's going to use dog tags to identify a dead Marine....

ever see Platoon?? that's a perfect reason why.....

doc get's mad that the guy didn't have one in his boot and the mortar took the guys head off along with the tags.... "...how am I supposed to know who this is..."

yeah... if I'm wrong then please PM your source of information.

semper help!!!!:iwo:

Yup, dog tags are a tradition now.

Corpsmen have a "kill card" they use now to identify wounded/casualties.

Dog tag chains are supposed to be breakable, so that you don't get strangled with them.
Having your tags on 550 cord, leather, etc around your neck is a bad idea.

The movie Platoon is hollywood, not real life.

ggyoung
04-25-09, 01:30 PM
Yup, dog tags are a tradition now.

Corpsmen have a "kill card" they use now to identify wounded/casualties.

Dog tag chains are supposed to be breakable, so that you don't get strangled with them.
Having your tags on 550 cord, leather, etc around your neck is a bad idea.

The movie Platoon is Hollywood, not real life.

You have that right about Hollywood. In the movie Platoon the company CO is played by a Marine. Dayle Dye was a Marine Mustang of the Vietnam war. It has been said that the movie is based on a Marine Company in Vietnam. I don't know if this is right or not. For dome reason I just can't pitcher a Marine Company as being that lose. Dayle Dye has a book out named "Run Between the rain Drops" Damn good book about Vietnam and about Hue City. I think it is out of print.

Alisium
04-25-09, 01:41 PM
It's on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0425114759/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=used)

You can pay $65 for a new one or one dollar for used copies.

Thanks for the heads up.

ecom
04-25-09, 02:18 PM
Just to add to what's been said, the dog tag on the shorter chain is meant to be put on the deceased's toe.

Petz
04-25-09, 05:01 PM
the tags really were jammed into the teeth of the deceased... though it was only a common practice and nothing official.

https://www.armydogtags.com/a_PurposeNotch.php

this will help clear things up

https://www.armydogtags.com/a_notched.php

and this will give you any extra info you may want about them.

ggyoung
04-25-09, 05:45 PM
Goto snops.com military. You will be surprised at a lot of different things you thought were right but are not.

Petz
04-25-09, 06:18 PM
um, read the notch thing I posted... they show the old embossing machine and how the notch doesn't have anything to do with alligning it... Snopes.com is the internet too... you just need to know what is non-sensical or not... someone actually needed to know if the shark jumping out of the water towards the helicopter is real or not... come the fvck on man.

ggyoung
04-25-09, 07:51 PM
um, read the notch thing I posted... they show the old embossing machine and how the notch doesn't have anything to do with alligning it... Snopes.com is the internet too... you just need to know what is non-sensical or not... someone actually needed to know if the shark jumping out of the water towards the helicopter is real or not... come the fvck on man.

S/Sgt. The embossing machine that the Marine Corps used 1964-71 was a big heavy machine that looked like a over grown office typewriter. Not that punney thing in the pitcher.

SSgt Ramsey
04-26-09, 06:42 AM
SSgt Petzold:

Thank's for this:

Explanation of dog tag text:Last name, First name-Middle Initial Service number -Year of tetanus shot-Blood type Next of Kin's name Next of Kin's address Next of Kin's City-StateReligion

I knew I read that before but couldn't find it again....I filled out a SF-180 and sent his info into the NPRC to get his records, but from the response I got from them, his was one of the records destroyed in the fire in the early 70's in St Louis along with many others.

He never really talked about it much, although he did say he was in Germany during the war. He died in 84' when I was around 14 or so....wish I would have known more. Somebody referred to them as "the greatest generation" and how true they were.

So many of them are gone now....when I was a kid, all of his buddies went through either the draft or enlisted for the War. I can still remember their names and see their faces...some of them not quite right, but now I know it was PTSD having it myself. They are all gone now....one by one they slowly left us.

Petz
04-26-09, 08:13 AM
S/Sgt. The embossing machine that the Marine Corps used 1964-71 was a big heavy machine that looked like a over grown office typewriter. Not that punney thing in the pitcher.

yeah they have one at the store in the jacksonville mall outside of lejuene... so I know what it looks like... they used that one for my first set of non-boot camp dog tags.... still no notch...

@ Ramsey... did you say he was Army???

only the Army files were destroyed in that fire.

SSgt Ramsey
04-26-09, 08:17 AM
Yeah, he was US Army....I have an old pamphlet from that time-period I got when my Mom passed away that belonged to him, 4th Infantry Regiment. I don't know what Bn or whatever he was in....

ggyoung
04-26-09, 11:20 AM
yeah they have one at the store in the jacksonville mall outside of lejuene... so I know what it looks like... they used that one for my first set of non-boot camp dog tags.... still no notch...

@ Ramsey... did you say he was Army???

only the Army files were destroyed in that fire.

S/Sgt. My 1st set of dogs tags from MCRDSD 1964 had the notch. My second set issued on 1 May 65 Just before landing at Chu-Lai on 7 May 65 did not have a notch because they were made by the US Navy on board the LPH Princeton. At that time nobody had a dog tag in there boot. Then in 1969 for my second tore in Vietnam I was issued 4 dog tags. If you wanted to put one in each boot you could. No standing order to do so. Here is my dog tag from that time. Line 1-young, line 2-gg, line 3-2077728 a (for blood type) line 4- usmc m (for gas mask size) line 5 lds.

Petz
04-26-09, 12:24 PM
i believe you... I'm just saying the notch was not for alignment purposes... it's just like there are no standing orders to have them in your boot, there was no standing order to put the tag in the mouth...

but keep in mind that if a KIA had no legs or parts of the body... the most secure place would be wedged in his teeth... it was one of those do-if-all-else-isn't-an-option kind of things. today DNA will sort everything out... back then... bob smith could be bagged up as john white and sent to the wrong family... to the shock of the families no doubt.

AgentQ70
04-27-09, 08:19 AM
Most units don't have a problem with it but yes it does depend on your command and what type of unit it is.

Petz
04-27-09, 11:42 AM
huh?

Required
01-11-13, 01:59 AM
Gentlemen, Devil Dogs and everyone else.
All the information pertaining to this post (i.e. the original question by 119Wrestler) can be found in MCO p1070.12 CH1 Par. 7003 Lines 1-3 "WEARING OF TAGS"
That is all,
Semper Fidelis

josephd
01-13-13, 09:50 PM
Gentlemen, Devil Dogs and everyone else.
All the information pertaining to this post (i.e. the original question by 119Wrestler) can be found in MCO p1070.12 CH1 Par. 7003 Lines 1-3 "WEARING OF TAGS"
That is all,
Semper Fidelis

this thread is OLD!!....who cares