PDA

View Full Version : Depot welcomes marathoners

thedrifter
06-08-03, 08:01 AM
Depot welcomes marathoners
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 200366115724
Story by Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 6, 2003) -- Roughly 21,000 new recruits arrive at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, every year and spend three months or more working toward their dream of walking across the parade deck as Marines. On Sunday, it took mere hours for the same amount of people to realize their dreams of completing a marathon as they ran across the parade deck and crossed the finish line of the sixth annual Suzuki Rock 'N' Roll Marathon.

This is the third year the Depot served as finish line for the Suzuki Rock 'N' Roll Marathon. The course began at the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Laurel Street in downtown San Diego.

Marines played a bigger role this year. In addition to opening the Depot to the public, Marines could be seen passing out water to the runners along the course, rousing patriotism at the starting line through music, and beginning the race as the official race starter.

1st Sgt. Bruce H. Cole, company first sergeant, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, just returned from Operation Iraqi Freedom and was selected as the official race starter. After Cole started the race, he made his way to the Depot to talk to recruits about his experiences in Iraq.

This year's race attracted athletes from all over the world, bringing out the best runners. Kenyan male runners dominated the race this year as nine of the top ten finishers hailed from the African nation. Ondoro Osoro was the first male racer to cross the finish line at 2:09:38, only two seconds ahead of runner-up Peter Chebet. Joseph Kahugu finished out the top three at 2:10:06. All three runners come from Kenya.

On the female side, nationality was not as dominate as in the men's race. Six countries were represented in the top ten finishers. Irina Bogacheva of Ukraine crossed the finish line at 2:29:52 followed by Fatuma Roba of Ethiopia at 2:30:26 and Svetlana Demidenko at 2:30:34. America was not represented in any top 10 female finishers.

The top three finishers for males and females were awarded with Suzuki merchandise and prize money for their efforts.

Several Depot Marines also competed in this year's Suzuki Rock 'N' Roll Marathon. Master Sgt. Jeffrey Burnham, Depot equal opportunity advisor, completed his second Rock 'N' Roll marathon at 4:37:52 almost mirroring his run time from last year.

"It was a good day to run," said Burnham. "I knew the course and knew what to expect. I was better prepared this year."

Race organizers agreed that it was a good day to run, and also to watch.

"This year's race was outstanding," said Susan Reid, public relations, Suzuki Rock 'N' Roll Marathon. "It keeps getting better. We probably had more spectators this year than ever before."

Some runners view the marathon as a life long goal. For others, it's a test of how far one can push themselves.

"I am an endurance nut," said Burnham. "I like to see how far I can push myself. I also run to stay in shape - as part of being a Marine."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200366121223/$file/rnrm29_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. Antonio Manzano, administration chief, Recruiter's School, said, "I hit the wall hard at 22 miles and caught a cramp at 24." He was exhausted at the end, making it in 3:26:00.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

Sempers,

Roger