PDA

View Full Version : Questions About USMCR

OSFlanker
12-16-08, 04:47 PM
Hello Marines,

I am a 20 year old college student looking at enlisting in the Marine Reserves and I am seeking some input.

1. Most of the units within reasonable driving distance are Infantry ones...can anyone tell me what it is like to be an Marine Infantry Reservist?

2. Since Infantry units are the closest, would I pretty much be guaranteed an Infantry MOS?

3. What is the role of USMCR infantry in theatre? Do they serve on the "frontlines" in an agressive role or more in a support role?

4. I have read that in order to qualify for GI Bill benefits, I would need to enlist under a 6x2 contract. Can anyone tell me how much these benefits are? (NOTE: I am not joining the USMCR for money, but I'd like to know)

5. What is the deployment cycle for USMCR units?

I am meeting with the recruiter this week, so I'm sure I will get most of these answers then...

Thank you,

-OSFlanker

Turbogus
08-05-13, 05:58 PM
In my experience (although long ago) I made some of the most memorable friendships with some of the most noteworthy Marines whom served in Vietnam and Korea. I know that time softens the harshness of some memories but now that I'm over 50 I look back with great fondness of those days in my youth.

Rocky C
08-05-13, 06:31 PM
WOW, your last post was over 4 years ago when you were asking about an Enlistment Bonus.

Way to hang in there.
Glad you are seeing a Recruiter this week.
He/She can answer all of your questions as well as some of the Marines on the Forum.

Best of luck to you " Marine Friend "...

josephd
08-05-13, 10:05 PM
Hello Marines,

I am a 20 year old college student looking at enlisting in the Marine Reserves and I am seeking some input.

1. Most of the units within reasonable driving distance are Infantry ones...can anyone tell me what it is like to be an Marine Infantry Reservist?

2. Since Infantry units are the closest, would I pretty much be guaranteed an Infantry MOS?

3. What is the role of USMCR infantry in theatre? Do they serve on the "frontlines" in an agressive role or more in a support role?

4. I have read that in order to qualify for GI Bill benefits, I would need to enlist under a 6x2 contract. Can anyone tell me how much these benefits are? (NOTE: I am not joining the USMCR for money, but I'd like to know)

5. What is the deployment cycle for USMCR units?

I am meeting with the recruiter this week, so I'm sure I will get most of these answers then...

Thank you,

-OSFlanker

1. I don't really know and can't answer that but I know their drill and AT schedule is very different from the rest of the reserves

2. yes

3. Some reserve units have served as "front lines" in the past but in my experience most serve as security in already taken areas, hot fills, and augments.

4. As a reservist you'll qualify for the Montgomery Reserve GI Bill, you'll get about $300/month. You have to serve on actual active duty orders in order to rate any part of the post 9/11 GI Bill.

5. There really isn't a deployment cycle anymore now that we are drawing down. Even before there really wasn't a set cycle for reserve units. Even if there was one or is one, no one here is gonna know what it is; if they did they surely won't tell you because that is considered classified information.

"Loose lips sink ships"

Turbogus
08-06-13, 08:26 AM
A word about recruiters, perhaps it is different now but don't take everything as gospel. ;)

I could go on about my experience back in '79 but suffice to say despite some inaccuracies I notieced after I reported in to MCRD, after recruit training, it was all gravy.