PDA

View Full Version : Marine has grand homecoming

thedrifter
06-08-03, 07:58 AM
Marine has grand homecoming
By KEN VALENTI
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: June 7, 2003)

YONKERS — Carmen Goldberg couldn't believe it. Her son, Sgt. David Goldberg, was finally home.

"You have no idea," she said yesterday. "I don't even know if I have any breath in me."

The 23-year-old Marine, in dress uniform, stood on the porch with an arm around his mother's shoulder, as the family received a visit from Gov. George Pataki.

"Great to have you home, Dave," the governor told Goldberg on the stone stoop of the family's home at 12 Overcliff St., on a ridge with a view of the Hudson River. "God bless you. We're very proud to have you home."

Goldberg, who serves with the 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment, 1st Marine Division, had returned from the war in Iraq and a debriefing in California. He arrived early yesterday at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Pataki had met Goldberg seven years ago, when Goldberg was on a state champion Roosevelt High School football team that traveled to Albany. Pataki also knows the family. Goldberg's mother is a member of Amigos de Pataki, a Hispanic organization that supported the governor in last year's election, said Harvey Goldberg, the Marine's father.

When they all gathered on the porch yesterday, yellow ribbons decorated the steps and the Marine flag hung below an American flag.

Goldberg returned to the United States two weeks ago, when he arrived at Camp Pendleton in California for debriefing. On June 15, he will return there for more debriefing, and he will leave the Marine Corps on June 26, he said. He plans to take a vacation in Florida, then return to work at the family business, Avet Coach Corp., an ambulette transportation company in Yonkers.

Harvey Goldberg remembered receiving a phone call from his son in Kuwait on March 6 at the Avet office. The war was nearing, but the younger Goldberg was ready for it, his father recalled.

"Dave's a Marine," he said by way of explanation.

For David Goldberg, that last call also meant fresh news from home.

"It felt great," he said. "It was good to hear that everybody was doing great."

During the war, the family dealt with the wrenching uncertainty by constantly watching MSNBC and Fox News and by checking with the Web site of The Baltimore Sun newspaper, which had a reporter embedded with Goldberg's battalion.

"As a parent, even though your son is a Marine and he's over 21 years old, you're always worried and you're always concerned," Harvey Goldberg said.

The calls from friends and family helped — as many as 100 a week — including some from state Sen. Nicholas Spano and Assemblyman Michael Spano, both Republicans from Yonkers.

Carmen Goldberg immersed herself in her volunteer activities as a director of the YMCA and of One Hundred Hispanic Women to feel that she, as well as her son, was sacrificing for others.

During that time, David Goldberg's battalion was pressing into Iraq, through Baghdad and up into Tikrit.

"We were fighting the whole way," he said. "Ambushes during the day, fighting at night."

Two weeks ago, the family gathered in California to meet him when he arrived at Camp Pendleton — his parents; older sisters Nancy of Florida and Mayra of Hollywood, Calif.; twin brother Daniel; younger sister Elena, who lives at home; and David Goldberg's 4-year-old daughter, Amanda. Carmen Goldberg repressed her fear of flying to take the cross-country trip.

They waited at the base for 12 hours before the bus with the returning Marines arrived.

"When we saw that flag come up at 3 o'clock in the morning, we said, 'The boys are home,' " said Carmen Goldberg.

When David Goldberg saw his family — the first time since a Christmastime visit — Amanda had grown bigger.

"She grew a lot," he said. "She could read and write."

Send e-mail to Ken Valenti

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/060703/b01p07homecoming.html

Sempers,

Roger

Devildogg4ever
06-09-03, 03:13 AM
I think these are great! But, I also wonder, have they ever had an official "Welcome Home" for Vietnam Vets? :)

CPLRapoza
06-09-03, 04:18 AM
The reality as much as it sucks, is that a "Welcome Home" for Veitnam vets will never happen. Y'all made the ultimate sacrifice and will never get what you truly desevre and thats respect. I personal respect all of you fr what you've done and if it wasn't for that bloody hanoijane, who ill get her I promise you, you would have. My father is a Nam Vet and doesn't even get respected by his own damn familiy for it. They disowned me and my brother because of it to. They try and be nicew only because they feel they have to. But then again how are you going to have a "Welcome Home" when so many are still unaccounted for, it just wouldn't be right.

Phil
06-09-03, 07:09 PM
To all you Vietnam Marines that made it home, Welcome home. To all the Marines we're still waiting on, Semper Fi, some of us will never forget you. We all have to work together to make sure Uncle Sam doesn't let that happen to our brothers and sisters again.