PDA

View Full Version : Exeter boy asks for toys for tots, not birthday gifts

thedrifter
12-16-08, 07:23 AM
Exeter boy asks for toys for tots, not birthday gifts
By Lucian McCarty
newsletter@seacoastonline.com
December 16, 2008 6:00 AM

EXETER — To the typical 5-year-old with a birthday just before Christmas, December seems like a month of unlimited toys and other presents that he or she wants.

Though Connor Wyskiel of Exeter decided he wanted his birthday to be about giving, not receiving presents from his friends. All of the children who attended his party on Sunday, Dec. 14, were asked to bring an unwrapped present so he could donate them all to Toys for Tots and bring a smile to the faces of children he doesn't even know this holiday season.

"We thought it was important we teach him about the joy of giving back," said his mother Laura Wyskiel. She and her husband Derek had been talking to Connor about the spirit of the holidays and the importance of helping those less fortunate than him. "We talked about having his friends donate gifts for his birthday and he was all for it," she said.

Two U.S. Marines also came to his party to pick up the presents.

"As far as I know, we've never had a child donate his own birthday gifts," said Sgt. Dan Keegan. He and Lance Cpl. Mathew Depew attended the party in full dress uniform. "This child is something else," Keegan said. "When I was five, my parents couldn't have gotten me to agree to this kind of thing."

Because of the power outages throughout the area, the Exeter Bowling Lanes/Shooters Sports Pub, where the party was originally scheduled was not open, but that didn't stop the party. Instead, Connor's dozen excited friends found themselves playing games and singing happy birthday in the attached bar, Shooters Sports Pub.

"I'm shocked that the first time my daughter went into a bar bathroom is at the age of four," laughed Joel Hatin, father of Retta and Reese. He too couldn't say enough about the generosity found in such a young child. "The fact that Connor decided not to receive gifts and give them to the Marines is just unbelievable."

Despite his generosity, Connor was still reluctant to take the spotlight. While clinging to his mother's leg, he whispered into her ear and had her relay messages while the Marines looked on.

"He said he wants to give to the little kids," said his mother.

"That kid's going places," Keegan said. "He's more mature than half the people my age."

Connor won't be going without presents for his birthday, though. His parents and grandparents got him gifts, and according to his parents, he was looking forward to seeing his friends more than any presents.

"Being able to get together is really great," said his father Derek.

He, his wife and their three children have not been living at home the past few days, thanks to the ice storm, and the party was a welcome respite from the struggles with electricity, water and heat.

"Bowling or in a bar, I guess it wouldn't matter...; he has just been very excited about seeing his friends."

Connor raced around the bar, his lighted shoes flashing and a grin on his face. He darted between the televisions around the sports bar, the hacky-sack game with a New England Patriots logo and of course, pizza and cake.

"When we found out the bowling alley didn't have power we thought the most important thing was getting the toys to the Marines," said Laura Wyskiel. "Our hope is to make it an annual event."

Ellie