PDA

View Full Version : Family drives new citizen to teach new Marines

thedrifter
06-08-03, 07:56 AM
Family drives new citizen to teach new Marines
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20036612252
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 6, 2003) -- For the last eight years, Sgt. Nolan P. Espiritu, Platoon 2074, Company F, has been proud of his role as a defender of democracy. For seven of those years, he was a citizen of a different country. Now, a newly naturalized American citizen and a new drill instructor, Espiritu is determined to accept both responsibilities with the vigor and commitment that is synonymous with our nation's proud warriors in the United States Marine Corps.

Growing up in the Philippines, Espiritu always knew he would one day be a Marine. The road to his citizenship was mapped out in his mind throughout his teen years.

In April 1986, at the age of 11, Espiritu first came to this country when his father, a Navy chief petty officer, was stationed in San Diego, giving Espiritu his first taste of life in the United States.

Espiritu would also like his wife of six years to experience life in the United States. Leonila P. Espiritu is currently living in the Philippines, and Espiritu's main goal right now is to bring her and their five year old son, Trestan P. Espiritu, here.

Time has been an obstacle in this Marine's struggle to be with his family. Espiritu had to complete a three-year residence requirement as an active duty service member before he would become a citizen.

After he obtained his citizenship in June 2002, he greatly increased the chances of getting his family to the U.S. within six years through immigration, instead of the 10 years it would have taken him as a non-citizen.

His contribution to the military and the country all help to reunite him with his family more quickly.

Being a child of someone in the military, Espiritu has always had to deal with separation from either family or friends because his father was reassigned every three years.

He hated this way of life since it kept him from developing friendships.

That is why the camaraderie in the Marine Corps and the loyalty to his family are that much more important to him.

Now having the ability to make long-term friends in the Marine Corps, Espiritu recently transitioned into making new Marines.

This is the new drill instructor's first full cycle after joining the company in late January.

With the challenges of each platoon, Espiritu finds peace and motivation through thoughts of his family.

"My personal drive to keep going is, of course, my family; they make me work hard," said Espiritu.

Pushing forward with his tireless efforts, Espiritu lives for his family.

"The thought of them makes me want to strive harder because I don't want to let them down," said Espiritu.

Espiritu's dedication to his wife and son is seen by other members of his family.

"He is a loyal husband and a provider for his son," said Arlene Barrientos, his cousin.

Espiritu visits his family whenever he can.

"He goes home every year during any free time," said Barrientos.

Once he returns to the operating forces, he will have more time to communicate with his family and work on reuniting with them.

He has three years left as a drill instructor and has plans to return to the infantry after his tour as a drill instructor is over.

His wife is happy he is not currently with his old unit, Company E, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, because they deployed during the war, although he wished he could be with the unit to help in the effort.

Although Espiritu would have liked to have deployed during the war, he knew in the drill instructor and recruit training environment, the need for leadership is essential, and the outcome is seen in the end.

"Setting the example is the most important part of being a Marine," said Espiritu. "It is very rewarding, making recruits into Marines and it is very memorable seeing the recruits after the Crucible."

What they leave here with will hopefully stay with them the rest of their lives, according to Espiritu.

"I believe it is important recruits leave here with esprit de corps, because that is what being a Marine is, camaraderie," said Espiritu.

Esprit de corps is taking care of each other and being there for each other, according to Espiritu.

Just like family.

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200366122754/$file/Sgt_Espiritu_lr.jpg

Caption:
Sgt. Nolan P. Espiritu, drill instructor, Platoon 2074, Company F, was granted U.S. citizenship and now waits for his wife and son to join him.
Photo by: Cpl. Ryan Smith