PDA

View Full Version : Laughter Springs Out in the Desert

thedrifter
06-08-03, 07:53 AM
Laughter Springs Out in the Desert
Submitted by: 3d Marine Aircraft Wing
Story Identification Number: 2003677144
Story by Spc. Benjamin R. Kibbey, 367th MPAD

KUWAIT(June 3, 2003) -- Marines, Navy, Army and Air Force service members were treated to a night of laughter under the Kuwaiti desert sky, courtesy of the United Services Organization and Marine Aircraft Group 39, here June 3.

The standup comedy show, which featured three comics, was organized with the help of the MAG-39 Moral Welfare and Recreation Officer Maj. Bernard Cernosek, 35, a West, Texas, native.

"I called them and got them to come down," said Cernosek. "I talked to them, and they didn't even know we existed down here."

The three comics who performed were Louis Johnson from Denver, Tammy Pescatelli from Los Angeles and Chris Alpine from Seattle. They all have done several tours with the USO and got the call to perform for troops in Operation Iraqi Freedom two days after the conflict started, said Pescatelli.

The comics volunteered to do USO shows because they enjoy the experience and like giving something back to the troops said Johnson.

Johnson said he started doing the shows in 1995 after talking to a friend about the USO.

"They were looking for some new people, and a friend of mine said I should send in my stuff," he said. "They liked my stuff, and called me up. The first tour I did was good, so they kept calling me back."

Johnson said he enjoys the feedback he gets from the service members at USO shows.

"Because - and it's going to sound trite, but it's true - because the troops are the best audience in the world," he said. "You can't beat the love you get at a USO show. You don't get the love anywhere else like at the USO."

About four years ago, a friend of Pescatelli told her about doing USO shows and she immediately volunteered, she said.

"It's my honor to do the shows," she said.

Pescatelli said she got into comedy because of her family.

"I grew up with all boys - 15 brothers and male cousins in my immediate family," she said. "I couldn't outrun them, but I could outsmart them."

Alpine said his agent got a call from the USO when they were looking for new talent in 1995.

"I was really lucky. My agent happened to be in Baltimore at a convention, so she just drove my package down to DC," he said. "So, they thought, 'Oh wow, he must be good.'"

Alpine said he did his first tour with Johnson, and has now done approximately 16 tours.

"I have actually now completely gone around the world with the USO," he said.

Alpine said he has more than one reason for doing the USO shows.

"One, the adventure of doing it; that's why when I first started," he said. "After that, I saw how much the military appreciated it, and it made me feel like I was contributing something in my own smart-aleck kind of way."

The service members at the show were able to get autographs and pictures with the comics after the show, and many took advantage of the opportunity to have everything from notebooks to clothing signed.

Service members in the line for autographs expressed their appreciation to the comics and their enjoyment of the show.

"It was hilarious," said Cpl. Travis Matern, 21, a San Diego native working in Crash Fire Rescue with Marine Wing Support Squadron 372. "It was definitely a good thing because it reminded us that there are people back home that care about us."

"I appreciate it." Said Cpl. Jamall Rogers, 21, a Chicago native working in the technical publications library for MAG-39. " I just appreciate the support from home: people coming out, trying to help us out, and at the same time appreciating what we do out here.

The show - the first USO show for the Marines at the base - was seen by many as a good break for moral.

"I thought it was great. It was a good change of pace for everybody," said Cpl. Claudia Mitchell, 22, a Booneville, Ark. native with aviation supply for Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 39. "I would definitely like to see more like this."

"It was pretty funny. It was worth coming to, it helped to release the tension. There's not much to do around here, and it's good to relax for an hour or two," said Lance Cpl. German Delgado, 19, a Miami, Fla. native, and airframer and hydraulics mechanic with Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 169. "They need to do them more often."

"It was good," said Cpl. Ed Copeland, 25, a Bridgeport, Conn. native maintenance administrator for Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle 1, a unit attached to MAG-39. "A lot of the military people here gave a lot of support. That's good, maybe we can get more of these shows here and for some of the guys up north."

Now that the USO knows the Marines are here, the hopes are for more shows like this in the future, said Cernosek.

"According to them, they were extremely impressed with our turnout and they want to come back here," he said. "There are 15 other commands they have to hit before they come back to us, so hopefully they'll make it back to here in the next month or so."

Sempers,

Roger