PDA

View Full Version : United States Army

29letsgo
12-15-08, 08:42 PM
Alright now I imagine by simply making an account and posting here Im opening myself to verbal attack from people. But YES, im in the Army, im not a Marine.

Now I need to give you a bit of history on myself, I love the Marine Corp and for the bulk of my life wanted nothing other than to simply earn the title Marine, the mere thought brought a seance of pride to me. However When my father passed when I was 15, I requested to be sent to military school so i could prepare myself for the military and get into my dream college (Virginia Military Institute). However as time passed we quickly ran out of money for the tuition, and I was approached by the Army, they offered to help pay for tuition. Anyway long story short I joined the Army for the tuition money so I could stay at a school I was truely proud to be apart of. Though I felt as though I had betrayed my heart, by joining the Army.

Now for 17 years of my life its was the Corps or nothing else (though i was a Navy brat). And I thought very little of the Army and thought they were weak and sucked, without any actual true knowledge of them. Now that ive actually been in the Army for a year as of 2 days ago, I must say I feel guilty for all the smack I talked about the Army. I have found the Army to be a very professional, and if you permit "Elite" fighting force in its own right, I can say that becoming a Soldier was a truly prideful moment in my life. I guess what im getting at is that once you get passed the "who's got a bigger dick contest" between the Corps and the Army, were all American fighting men. I grown proud of the rich history of the Army and all its done over the years in battle, I mean my unit the 116th INF REG. was the first wave on Omaha Beach June 6th 1944, and is descended from the Stonewall Brigade in the Civil War.

When I finish my enlistment in the Army I havent decided if Im going to reenlist in the Army or join the Corp, i honestly have not made up my mind yet.

I do have one small complaint, why does the Corps feel as though its can berate and trash talk the Army when we fight and bleed and die and win just as many battles and fight just as hard for the United States. I guese after seeing friends come home in flagged draped coffins, whenever I hear a Marine make a derogatory remark about the Army I become enraged and snap on whoever said it, as though they where disrespecting my deceased father. I myself never speak ill of another branch and their service, and respect all who raise thier right hand before my country's flag.

Just looking for some opinions, comments, anything, what do you think of my story and perspective on thing. Please keep it civil, with no rude comments please.

ecfree
12-15-08, 08:56 PM
Hey Josh,this is not disrespectful to your Dad but I have to say it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NUTS........:evilgrin:

Big Jim
12-15-08, 09:00 PM
A frikkin Army dog on a Marine website....imagine that.....smells fishy to me....and this is one fish who ain't gonna bite....!!! Don't go away mad....just go away....

SGT7477
12-15-08, 09:00 PM
We have been fixing the army's mistakes since 1775, so if you don't like it lump it.

montana
12-15-08, 09:11 PM
hummmm....talk Marine bashing Army all you want....i never used to bash Army myself...thinking some what the same as you...but after years of litening to Army folk bash me and my being in the Corps i just thought id get on the band wagon...most time just out of fun....guess it mst be the training we reseave...if they tought us that others were saperior to us we wouldnt be worth a darn in battle...just turn tail and run...you have to think you are better then the other...or at least qual to the task....must be something to the fact that if you have been threw Marine Corps boot camp you may go to any other branch of service with out haveing to go to theirs...on the other hand any other branch of service that wants to become a Marine must first prove their metal by compleating Marine Corps Boot Camp....a wannabe trying to justify his not being sounds to me...sorry iffen that soundsrude

go army

HurricaneRJ
12-15-08, 09:14 PM
If you are a Army dog like you say. Want to thank you for serving. 17 years of my life was to the Army. Dad, Brothers, Cousins were all Army boys and girls. For some odd reason never joined. Seemed right, all of the family is already there. Hell raised right in Ft. Benning's back yard. There is something about the Corps that you will never understand unless you are a Marine.

Don't take it personal, we (Marines) are competitive and if were not out drinking, Pt'ing, or smoking each other. When we hear or see Soldiers. We just can't resist to start something.

oifvet23
12-15-08, 09:18 PM
damn, you don't understand, you cant understand unless you've done it. We don't get the cool toys until there no good anymore, our funding is in the toilet, we put our body's thru things animals cant handle and in the end thats exactly what's expected of us. To make miracles out of nothing. We are like the big brother, and your like the spoiled little sister. They don't expect much from you and figure if they keep throwing money at you you'll shut up.

yellowwing
12-15-08, 09:21 PM
"I am an American Fighting Man. I serve in the forces that guard my country and our way of life." - Learned by all soldiers and Marines.

But Marines do have bigger dicks! :D

ecfree
12-15-08, 09:29 PM
"I am an American Fighting Man. I serve in the forces that guard my country and our way of life." - Learned by all soldiers and Marines.

But Marines do have bigger dicks! :D

AND BIGGER BALLS.........:iwo:

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-15-08, 09:32 PM
We talk trash about everyone, get over it. When you're the best you see the shortcomings in those around you. Don't get me wrong, I respect the crap our of our men and women in the Army- but they should remember what ARMY stands for...

Aren't
Ready to be
Marines
Yet

or

Aren't
Really
Marines
Yet

SGT7477
12-15-08, 09:35 PM
We talk trash about everyone, get over it. When you're the best you see the shortcomings in those around you. Don't get me wrong, I respect the crap our of our men and women in the Army- but they should remember what ARMY stands for...

Aren't
Ready to be
Marines
Yet

or

Aren't
Really
Marines
Yet

Good one,lol.:flag:

usmc0331
12-15-08, 09:42 PM
Alright now I imagine by simply making an account and posting here Im opening myself to verbal attack from people. But YES, im in the Army, im not a Marine.

Now I need to give you a bit of history on myself, I love the Marine Corp and for the bulk of my life wanted nothing other than to simply earn the title Marine, the mere thought brought a seance of pride to me. However When my father passed when I was 15, I requested to be sent to military school so i could prepare myself for the military and get into my dream college (Virginia Military Institute). However as time passed we quickly ran out of money for the tuition, and I was approached by the Army, they offered to help pay for tuition. Anyway long story short I joined the Army for the tuition money so I could stay at a school I was truely proud to be apart of. Though I felt as though I had betrayed my heart, by joining the Army.

Now for 17 years of my life its was the Corps or nothing else (though i was a Navy brat). And I thought very little of the Army and thought they were weak and sucked, without any actual true knowledge of them. Now that ive actually been in the Army for a year as of 2 days ago, I must say I feel guilty for all the smack I talked about the Army. I have found the Army to be a very professional, and if you permit "Elite" fighting force in its own right, I can say that becoming a Soldier was a truly prideful moment in my life. I guess what im getting at is that once you get passed the "who's got a bigger dick contest" between the Corps and the Army, were all American fighting men. I grown proud of the rich history of the Army and all its done over the years in battle, I mean my unit the 116th INF REG. was the first wave on Omaha Beach June 6th 1944, and is descended from the Stonewall Brigade in the Civil War.

When I finish my enlistment in the Army I havent decided if Im going to reenlist in the Army or join the Corp, i honestly have not made up my mind yet.

I do have one small complaint, why does the Corps feel as though its can berate and trash talk the Army when we fight and bleed and die and win just as many battles and fight just as hard for the United States. I guese after seeing friends come home in flagged draped coffins, whenever I hear a Marine make a derogatory remark about the Army I become enraged and snap on whoever said it, as though they where disrespecting my deceased father. I myself never speak ill of another branch and their service, and respect all who raise thier right hand before my country's flag.

Just looking for some opinions, comments, anything, what do you think of my story and perspective on thing. Please keep it civil, with no rude comments please.

are you kidding? The army is a complete joke. We fix your **** ups every time you idiots are deployed. Look at the 1st gulf war for example Good ol gen norm Swartzkopf(sp?) tried to show case the army and got totally shut down-the marines kicked serious documented ass. Look at your idiot rangers who botched up somalia and who saved your ass-yep the usmc. the list goes on and on since 1775. I have trained with you army dogs(as Im sure many of my brothers and sisters have here) and it is nothing more than disgusting about how **** poor trained you all are. It starts at bootcamp (yes it has changed a bunch since I went in 97-sad now--) but for 13 weeks we didnt get to call home, talk to one another, have party time. We were treated like training day 1 recruits literally 12 of the 13 weeks. We weeded out the non hackers(started with 78 recruits and graduated with 48) and knew that making mistakes would cost marines to lose their lives in combat. Our 4 Drill Instructors made sure we bleed god, country and corp. Thats were the transformation starts and carries on to the fleet.

Now what about the Army, o yeah I forgot the new Army directives for basic training
you are gaurenteed 8 hours asleep a night
you are gaurenteed your fill with plenty of time to eat at the chow hall
and the kicker--the army doesnt feel the need to yell at recruits as much, its better to pull them aside and re direct them
I have had friends of mine who went through army bootcamp and talked about pillow fights in their dorm style rooms, liberty on the weekends and free time etc-what the hell is that? nothing more than a recipe for disaster on and off the battle field

dont get me wrong there are some good soldiers out there who have served greatly, but the amount of **** poor soldiers out there surely outweigh any of that.

The army breeds individualism-an army of one--a mistake right there

We are the The few, the proud, the marines--one heart-one blood-one soul semper fi:flag:

oifvet23
12-15-08, 09:50 PM
are you kidding? The army is a complete joke. We fix your **** ups every time you idiots are deployed. Look at the 1st gulf war for example Good ol gen norm Swartzkopf(sp?) tried to show case the army and got totally shut down-the marines kicked serious documented ass. Look at your idiot rangers who botched up somalia and who saved your ass-yep the usmc. the list goes on and on since 1775. I have trained with you army dogs(as Im sure many of my brothers and sisters have here) and it is nothing more than disgusting about how **** poor trained you all are. It starts at bootcamp (yes it has changed a bunch since I went in 97-sad now--) but for 13 weeks we didnt get to call home, talk to one another, have party time. We were treated like training day 1 recruits literally 12 of the 13 weeks. We weeded out the non hackers(started with 78 recruits and graduated with 48) and knew that making mistakes would cost marines to lose their lives in combat. Our 4 Drill Instructors made sure we bleed god, country and corp. Thats were the transformation starts and carries on to the fleet.

Now what about the Army, o yeah I forgot the new Army directives for basic training
and the kicker--the army doesnt feel the need to yell at recruits as much, its better to pull them aside and re direct them
I have had friends of mine who went through army bootcamp and talked about pillow fights in their dorm style rooms, liberty on the weekends and free time etc-what the hell is that? nothing more than a recipe for disaster on and off the battle field

dont get me wrong there are some good soldiers out there who have served greatly, but the amount of **** poor soldiers out there surely outweigh any of that.

We are the The few, the proud, the marines--one heart-one blood-one soul semper fi:flag:

Well said

Quinbo
12-15-08, 09:56 PM
Hey there you Army ...
What are you doing? ....
Get in your tanks and follow me ....
I am Marine Corps infantry

Chesty Pullar was a good Marine and a good Marine was he
He called for his pipe and he called for his bowl and he called for his privates 3
Beer, beer, beer said the privates
Merry ole men are we
The Army is fair but it can't compare to the Marine Corps infantry

temarti
12-15-08, 10:20 PM
<table><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td>http://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/collection/military/Army%20Strong.jpg (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefM0LEdJKPIAZyejzbkF/SIG=12sqjrqot/EXP=1229487540/**http%3A//www.spaceg.com/multimedia/collection/military/Army%2520Strong.jpg) </td></tr></tbody></table>Enough said!

Wyoming
12-15-08, 10:41 PM
My friend, you have entered hallowed grounds. The site for Marines, of Marines, and because of Marines.

I sincerely feel for the loss of your Father.

However, you made a choice, you spent your 6 total weeks away from home, you became a soldier.

For 17 years all you thought of was the Marines. You lost your tuition and you jumped on the 1st pony on the merry-go-round. What happened to that 17 years?

The army helped pay for your tuition at VMI? Well, why are you not still there? Crap, were there no Marines you could have talked to instead?

You say you know history. Is the army song full of history? You're in the army now, da da de da da. Recite the Marines Hymn. It is FULL of history. Not one of our recruits leaves the depot without knowing it by heart.

Who was your 1st General of the Army? Your 5th? Our recruits know ours.

Our recruits are NOT Marines until the end of boot. They are not a Private or a Marine or anything resembling one. They bust their asz to BECOME a Marine.

So tell me, how much chest candy do you sport, after your 1st year. Our Marines, with a deployment under their web belt, probably have a handful. Do you have one for completing driving school, or any of the other trivial **** you sport?

Can you name your drill sergeants? Your platoon number? Our Marines can. I can, even after 43 years, 3 months and 13 days.

Don't come in here and throw up your life to us. As I said before, I feel for the loss of your Father, but son, you made your choice - CLICK HERE!! (http://www.goarmy.com/#/?marquee=career&channel=careers)

DocGreek
12-15-08, 10:56 PM
Next time I run through a field of fire, get some lead "implants", and have to carry, and drag a couple of MARINES, to safety, I'll remember these posts!....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

yellowwing
12-15-08, 11:25 PM
Next time I run through a field of fire, get some lead "implants", and have to carry, and drag a couple of MARINES, to safety, I'll remember these posts!....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Doc, you never cease to amaze me!

THAT AINT IT
12-15-08, 11:25 PM
Marines bash on the Army because we can...plain and simple. We're the best and we know it.

yellowwing
12-15-08, 11:36 PM
The Army does have great heros

SMITH, PAUL R.

Rank and Organization: Sergeant First Class, United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003.

On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers.

As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round.

Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force.

During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers.

Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.

Sgt Smith Never Quit!

yellowwing
12-15-08, 11:41 PM
Coffman, 51, is a senior adviser to Iraqi Special Police Commandos with the Multi-National Security Transition Command–Iraq’s Civilian Police Assistance Training Team. He accompanied a commando Quick Reaction Force with the 3rd Battalion, 1st Iraqi Special Police Commando Brigade on Nov. 14, 2004 to help a commando platoon under attack in a Mosul, Iraq police station.

As the QRF approached the station, it was besieged with rocket-propelled grenades, small arms fire and mortar rounds. Coffman and the commandos fought the insurgents for four hours before help arrived. When the initial firefight killed or seriously wounded all but one of the commando officers, Coffman rallied the remaining commandos while trying to radio for assistance, according to his award citation.

“Under heavy fire, he moved from commando to commando, looking each in the eye and using hand and arm signals to demonstrate what he wanted done,” the citation said.

When an enemy round shattered his left shooting hand, damaging his M4 rifle in the process, Coffman bandaged it and continued fighting with AK-47 rifles he collected from commando casualties until each ran out of ammunition. He also passed out ammunition to the uninjured commandos with the help of the remaining commando officer; when all that remained were loose rounds, Coffman held magazines between his legs and loaded the rounds with his good hand.

When a second commando unit arrived four hours after the fight began, Coffman led them to his position and continued to fight, refusing to be evacuated for treatment until the battle was over. Not long after the commando reinforcements arrived, air support and a Stryker Brigade Quick Reaction Force were on hand to assist to assist in the battle.

Coffman supervised the evacuation of injured commandos and led another group of commandos to the police station to make contact with the Iraqi Police inside. Once the additional air and ground support elements began attacking buildings the enemy forces were hiding in, Coffman went back to his initial position to check on the injured commandos and then agreed to be evacuated for treatment. Twenty-five insurgents were killed and dozens injured.

“Col. Coffman, the blood you shed will never be forgotten,” said Jabr, the Interior Minister. “We, the forces of the (Ministry of Interior) and the (Ministry of Defense) will continue to fight until we defeat terrorism. Right will always defeat wrong.”

In remarks during the ceremony, Coffman praised the commandos for their service and commitment to defending freedom in Iraq. He also said he viewed the ceremony as a tribute to the Iraqi and Coalition forces that have fought, bled and died together.

“Third battalion, I am truly, truly honored to stand here with you today and remember your courage and bravery last November and in all the days since then,” Coffman said, facing the commando formations. “It has been an honor to fight with you.”

Jabr and Iraqi Maj. Gen. Adnon Thebit, commander of the Special Police Forces, each presented Coffman with medallions.

Prior to the ceremony, Coffman said surgery repaired the shattered bones in his hand but it still isn’t back to 100 percent. In the months he’s had to reflect on the battle, Coffman said his focus continues to be on the courage and exemplary performance of the Iraqi commandos he fought with.

“I’m very proud of them, and more importantly, they’re proud of themselves,” Coffman said. “The next day, they were back out on patrol – after suffering 30 to 50 percent casualties. That’s pretty amazing. I’m not sure American units would do that. That says something about their resilience and their ability to maintain morale. They certainly mourned their losses, but they got back into the fight right away. I don’t think you can ask much more of people than that.”

After nearly two years in Iraq, Coffman is preparing to return home in early September. He’ll return to a Pentagon job he held prior to deploying to Iraq in December 2003, in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict.

After celebrating two wedding anniversaries in Iraq, Coffman is looking forward to returning to his wife of 21 years, Patricia White, and their two grown daughters.

Coffman was able to call his wife from the medical aid station before he was evacuated to tell her what happened, and that he was okay. When he learned he would be awarded the DSC – which came as a surprise – Coffman said there was some debate about whether the ceremony should be held here or at home, where his family could attend. He opted to have it done with the men he fought with.

“In my mind, it’s more for the Iraqis,” he said.

Coffman doesn’t see himself as a big hero, just a Soldier who did what he had to do to keep himself and his men alive. He believes there are plenty of heroic deeds going on in Iraq – particularly in the military and special police training teams – that go unrecognized.

“There are equal acts out there. This one just got written up,” Coffman said. “I would like to see more people get written up.”

Coffman may downplay his actions, but those who work with him on the commando adviser team describe him as a passionate, tough, and no-nonsense warrior.

“At first, I thought he was crazy,” laughed U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Carl Paris, who arrived to the team shortly after the battle. He recalled Coffman greeting him with a large bandaged hand, saying ‘Hey, guess what, kid,’ and then giving him a blow-by-blow description of the fight.

“I have nothing but admiration for him,” Paris said. “He is the example for me being here. A lot of people talk the talk, but he walks the walk. He has a real Soldier’s mentality – cut through the B.S. and get the mission done, no matter what it takes.”

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Tlaloc Cutroneo feels honored to have been able to serve with Coffman and appreciates the trust Coffman placed with him.

“He has allowed me to be privy to major Iraqi developments and security solutions,” Cutroneo said. “I have sat in on meetings as his battle buddy, not as merely a subordinate. To be referred to as his battle buddy means quite a bit.”

Coffman enlisted in the Army in 1972 in Great Barrington, Mass., where he grew up. The tangible benefits – learning a skill and college tuition – drew him into the service. But gaining an understanding of what being a Soldier means kept him in uniform for more than 30 years.

“The idea of selfless service and patriotism takes over,” Coffman said. “I like that.”

Coffman has a Bachelor of Science degree in Chinese Area Studies from the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. and a Master of Science degree in National Security Affairs from the Naval Postgraduate School at Monterey, Calif. He was also a U.S. Army Fellow at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University in Medford, Mass., and attended the Boston University Overseas Program for Master of Science in International Relations in Vicenza, Italy.

His military career has taken him from Fort Bragg, N.C.; Tampa, Fla. and Washington, D.C. to more far-flung locations like Vicenza, Korea and Gelnhausen, Germany. Along with the Distinguished Service Cross, Coffman’s other awards include the Bronze Star, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters, the Combat Infantryman Badge, Expert Infantryman Badge, and Special Forces and Ranger Tabs.

Coffman will have to retire in three years, but he figures he still has one more overseas tour in him. He isn’t sure it will be in Iraq, though.

“If asked, I would find it hard to say no,” Coffman said. “I have a lot of respect for a lot of the Iraqis. They have a tough time ahead of them.”

Coffman doesn’t believe democracy can be fast-tracked here. The United States had to work through several years of contentious issues – including a Civil War – before it enjoyed a stable democratic government.

“It’s easy when you’ve had a couple centuries of experience with democracy to overlook the difficulties in getting that,” Coffman said. “I can’t think of a nobler endeavor than to help 28 million people achieve it.”

yellowwing
12-15-08, 11:42 PM
Col Coffman is one hell of a Warrior!

usmcmsf
12-15-08, 11:47 PM
I agree with everything that has been said by my fellow Marines.

Anyone can simply become a soldier, one must earn the right to be called a Marine.

Marines bash on the Army because no one works harder than a Marine, so we brag about being the best, but as the old saying goes "It aint bragging if you can do it", and that we can.

29letsgo
12-15-08, 11:50 PM
Alright, just to clear some stuff up, I will admit Army boot camp at Fort Jackson can be pretty weak wont lie. And the Army dosent use stress cards, they tested it out and in a few cycles a quickly removed it. I myself did not go to Jackson, I went to Fort Benning, home of the Infantry, and boot camp for me was 11 weeks, its been extended, not including a week in reception. Then I had my Infantry MOS school at Fort Benning with no break. Also, our DS's kept us up till 11 every night, and we woke up every morning at 0430 for PT formation, we ran 6 - 10 miles 3 to 5 times a week the entire stretch of boot camp, and we did not get weekends off, i dont know where people keep getting that from. And we have something similar to your Crucible its called Warrior Forge and its 5 days long. Another thing, ample time to eat, my DS's would barely let you get enough time sit down let alone finish your food. And that picture with the fat soldier, I will admit that is absolutely disgusting and I guarantee he was kicked out, he has no buisness wearing a uniform. And just to let you know, Yes the Army is going to Pay for my tuition at VMI, but heres my dilemma, i have two options available at VMI, Commission a Infantry Officer in the Marine Corp or Commission a Army Infantry Officer with a Ranger option. But all in all I think alot of you missed the point of this thread, I wasent looking for ego driven rib shots at the Army, more mature opinion. Im in the Army, and ive serve around Marines, and Ive seen **** ups and dip****s in both branches, but I can tell you I have defiantly served under soldiers and NCOs in the Army who have my Undying respect and I would follow to hell and back before I followed some Marines ive meet, now to keeps things fair, ive seen some jacked up NCOs in the Army too. My point is i love both branches, and Ive been able to see past all the Image and ego **** and see them both for what they are. There both excellent fighting forces, each with histories that can and should be respected, both branches have lost men, and paid the blood sacrifice for the United States. O, and one last thing the Army is like an unsung hero, it does most of the work, but gets non of glory and credit, humble heros if you ask me. All I ask is for Marine to show some more respect towards the Army, and dont forget that your not the only ones on the front lines kickin ass.

Wyoming
12-16-08, 12:16 AM
Alright, just to clear some stuff up, I will admit Army boot camp at Fort Jackson can be pretty weak wont lie. And the Army dosent use stress cards, they tested it out and in a few cycles a quickly removed it. I myself did not go to Jackson, I went to Fort Benning, home of the Infantry, and boot camp for me was 11 weeks, its been extended, not including a week in reception. Then I had my Infantry MOS school at Fort Benning with no break. Also, our DS's kept us up till 11 every night, and we woke up every morning at 0430 for PT formation, we ran 6 - 10 miles 3 to 5 times a week the entire stretch of boot camp, and we did not get weekends off, i dont know where people keep getting that from. And we have something similar to your Crucible its called Warrior Forge and its 5 days long. Another thing, ample time to eat, my DS's would barely let you get enough time sit down let alone finish your food. And that picture with the fat soldier, I will admit that is absolutely disgusting and I guarantee he was kicked out, he has no buisness wearing a uniform. And just to let you know, Yes the Army is going to Pay for my tuition at VMI, but heres my dilemma, i have two options available at VMI, Commission a Infantry Officer in the Marine Corp or Commission a Army Infantry Officer with a Ranger option. But all in all I think alot of you missed the point of this thread, I wasent looking for ego driven rib shots at the Army, more mature opinion. Im in the Army, and ive serve around Marines, and Ive seen **** ups and dip****s in both branches, but I can tell you I have defiantly served under soldiers and NCOs in the Army who have my Undying respect and I would follow to hell and back before I followed some Marines ive meet, now to keeps things fair, ive seen some jacked up NCOs in the Army too. My point is i love both branches, and Ive been able to see past all the Image and ego **** and see them both for what they are. There both excellent fighting forces, each with histories that can and should be respected, both branches have lost men, and paid the blood sacrifice for the United States. O, and one last thing the Army is like an unsung hero, it does most of the work, but gets non of glory and credit, humble heros if you ask me. All I ask is for Marine to show some more respect towards the Army, and dont forget that your not the only ones on the front lines kickin ass.

I was playing nicey, nice the 1st time.

Now, I say BULLSH!T, let it go, letsgo!!

mgkusmc
12-16-08, 12:38 AM
Now I dont doubt your units professionalism, and I definitely dont have anything to say about its history, I know it, the 116th has fought hard and if anyone wants a good read, read the book "The Bedford Boys" its about the 116th when they landed on Omaha beach, and by them being the first wave I mean these guys were the first boots on the beach...and the Germans held their fire for 20 minutes while they were on the beach. They are also an all reserve unit.

But I have seen how Army guys act and how Marines act out of the public eye...we act just as stupid pulling the same jokes that horny pre-pubescent middle schoolers pull and then laugh our asses off about it. I have seen how the Army acts in Combat and I've seen how the Marines act in combat....the Army is scary to be around in combat, be it the regulars, the reserves or the guard...they are so individualistic and trained as individuals that you dont know how each person is going to react and thats scary. The Marines strive and train to function as one, so when the **** hits the fan we act as one, not as individuals and that too is scary..... for the enemy.

I've seen how the Army and Marines act in the public eyes.....Army holds alot of pomp and circumstances for any award, and likes to show it off. Marines just have the awards. The public sees and hears both, but its that silent Marine in blue that catches their attention.

Good luck at VMI and if I could make a suggestion, go with the Marine Option officer route. It'll pay off in the long run and if you dont like it you can always switch back to the Army and not have to go through their bootcamp either ;)

Gunner 0313
12-16-08, 12:40 AM
:flag: Yea, I guess the Army is steeped in such esprit de corps that you have to come on a site for MARINES. Run along home now and cry to your momma.

usmcmsf
12-16-08, 01:10 AM
We'll go in first to make sure you gals dont get hurt.

usmc0331
12-16-08, 06:52 AM

you are full of ****. You slobs do not run 6-10 miles. My friend who got back last summer from basic complained of the 2-3 mile runs you nasty bags had to do. 11 weeks of boot camp? negative ghostrider lol 9 weeks is the longest its ever been. you guys are turds, and remember you cant polish a turd-it only smears:iwo:

rheinmark187
12-16-08, 07:18 AM

To be honest, most of the time it's the Army that starts these little ****ing contests. One of my memories from Korea was being up near nightmare range and pulling back to one of the fob-type encampments where the Army was. The soldiers challenged some folks to like a game of dodgeball and were chanting army of one when it started. They lost. I'm sure that was a great motivator for all those guys. Oddly enough, we spent a lot of time with some ROK Army and some people from the Ranger battalion on the DMZ, and they were nice as hell. We ended up eating chow with them, no problems whatsoever. But whatever the "cur ahee" battalion was, those were the fools who lost in dodgeball.:nerd:

mcvet57103
12-16-08, 07:18 AM
Why are we giving this f--kstick attention? Hasn't been a Marine, but claims he's as good as. F--k that sheet. Till he walks the walk, I don't want to here the talk. Nuff said. Now, lets get on to more important topics, like, how do you get skid marks out of you skivvies.

Big Jim
12-16-08, 07:43 AM

I'll watch your back anytime, Doc....I know you'll watch mine, brother...SEMPER FI...

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 08:58 AM
Why are we giving this f--kstick attention? Hasn't been a Marine, but claims he's as good as. F--k that sheet. Till he walks the walk, I don't want to here the talk. Nuff said. Now, lets get on to more important topics, like, how do you get skid marks out of you skivvies.

Turn' em to the front; flip 'em inside out; turn 'em again; toss 'em in the burn barrel.... ooooorrrrrrr....

Ask her nicely.

rheinmark187
12-16-08, 10:26 AM

I don't get what you're asking for. Respect for the Army, okay that's fine. I would say the **** talking started to drop off around 2003, and some of the most mindless folks are boots, and they're just going off what others are telling them. If you're trying to decide which branch to be an Officer in, I really would have to say Marines, it's a higher standard for sure. It sounds like you are interested in special operations too. Well you obviously know that the Marine Corps is expanding like crazy into that realm with the additional funding for MARSOC and the non-SOC special operations units. It could be a great time to get in, and I guarantee you now that the Marines have joined that command, there's a lot of people who would have gone to the Army for SF instead looking into USMC.
On the other hand, the Army is adding a bunch of SF battalions so it might be easier for an officer, seeing that you have to compete for such a tiny handful of open spaces.

SGT7477
12-16-08, 10:30 AM
We'll keep fixing your mistakes,USMC WE DO IT BEST.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
12-16-08, 10:33 AM

BTW dog get the hell out of here this is A Marine site.:evilgrin:

FistFu68
12-16-08, 11:32 AM
:evilgrin: YOU EVER WALKED IN A ROOMFULL OF GREEN BERETS,YES GREEN BERETS NOT SPECIAL FARCES(LOL) I HAVE AT FT.BRAGG.WEARING MY DRESS BLUES W/MY WINGS PINNED ON MY CHEST.THOSE BASTARDS WOULD NOT LET ME BUY A DRINK NO CHIT.PLUS MY FATHER WAS THEIR ACTING SGT.MAJOR BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW THAT.U.S.ARMY BRAT BY BIRTH,UNITED STATES MARINE BY CHOICE;SURVIVIOR BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND THE HEROICS OF A FEW BRAVE MARINES.:evilgrin: :iwo:

SGT7477
12-16-08, 11:45 AM
:evilgrin: YOU EVER WALKED IN A ROOMFULL OF GREEN BERETS,YES GREEN BERETS NOT SPECIAL FARCES(LOL) I HAVE AT FT.BRAGG.WEARING MY DRESS BLUES W/MY WINGS PINNED ON MY CHEST.THOSE BASTARDS WOULD NOT LET ME BUY A DRINK NO CHIT.PLUS MY FATHER WAS THEIR ACTING SGT.MAJOR BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW THAT.U.S.ARMY BRAT BY BIRTH,UNITED STATES MARINE BY CHOICE;SURVIVIOR BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND THE HEROICS OF A FEW BRAVE MARINES.:evilgrin: :iwo:

Fist you need to go on the Religion topic site a few poolees could use a attitude adjustment,lol. BY THE GRACE OF GOD,Semper FI.

2ndCEBSupply
12-16-08, 12:30 PM
Explain to me why i was on Camp Fallajuah a month before the seige and the army guys were alowed to walked around the camp in civilian clothes ....no lie dudes were walking around in jean shorts and sandals and the girls too they were wearing stuff thay they really shouldnt have.

tripledog
12-16-08, 12:33 PM
I think the very best way to answer your dumb question is this.........

IF YOUR AND YOUR ASSWIPE COLLEGE BOYS ARE SO GREAT.......

WTF YOU DOING ON OUR BOARD ?
Trying to be with the best is hard aint it?

usmcmsf
12-16-08, 01:46 PM
It says something when a USMC Private is more disciplined, trained, and trusted to get the job done over an Army Sergeant and so on.

usmcmsf
12-16-08, 01:59 PM
Actually, as a matter of fact, I would rather never be promoted the rest of my career than be given every Army enlisted rank. Semper Fi

pheartnov2904
12-16-08, 02:14 PM
Is this guy serious?

Aside from the SF and Ranger soldiers, I have no regard for the Army. Their neglect and lack of training got my Doc and a few of my Marines taken out of the fight PERMANENTLY back in '04. The Army's training and lack of quality leadership are what makes it inferior to the Marine Corps and that will never change.

I was a boot Corporal on my second tour and I had more responsibility than Army SSgts. That says enough about the Army's trust in their NCOs.

Semper Fi Marines.

OldGruntNamVet
12-16-08, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately I was at Ft. Bragg last week to see my son in laws father who is retired army after 27 years. He lives in Fayetteville and was at Womack Hospital on base in very bad shape. Anyway later on we went down to the cafeteria to grab some chow. Couldnt believe the beef that was in there,I aint talking food eather. Would venture to say 10+% was overweight. A lot of ****birds,etc. running around too. Just my observations, LOL. Know for a fact the Corps is better disceplined, organized, and wear their uniform squared away. Nobody can tell me any different. So take your Doggie arse off this Marine website. Stay in the Army...you belong there...Goodby and DE DE MAU :thumbdown

jetdawgg
12-16-08, 03:43 PM

Smart Marine:usmc:

Littledrumerboy
12-16-08, 04:28 PM
I'm at the Presidio of Monterey, (wich is an army base in california in case you were wondering) and all the branchs have people here. When we marines walk down the sidewalk everyone else jumps out of our way. We dont say anything, they just move. The army busts on my navy friends alot to for doing stuff that the army has rules against but never once has any one from the army said anything to me or the other marines for that matter.

When people act like that around you, how can you not feel superior and talk smack? I mean really, you guys did it to yourself...

rheinmark187
12-16-08, 06:46 PM
Is this guy serious?

Aside from the SF and Ranger soldiers, I have no regard for the Army. Their neglect and lack of training got my Doc and a few of my Marines taken out of the fight PERMANENTLY back in '04. The Army's training and lack of quality leadership are what makes it inferior to the Marine Corps and that will never change.

I was a boot Corporal on my second tour and I had more responsibility than Army SSgts. That says enough about the Army's trust in their NCOs.

Semper Fi Marines.

"I was a boot Corporal on my second tour and I had more responsibility than Army SSgts. That says enough about the Army's trust in their NCOs."

That's entirely plausible. A lot of people don't realize that a Marine Corps squad is larger than an Army squad 12 to 8 and you will see a SSGT. leading a squad.

temarti
12-16-08, 07:31 PM
"I was a boot Corporal on my second tour and I had more responsibility than Army SSgts. That says enough about the Army's trust in their NCOs."Very true, in 94 on Onslow Beach conducting JLOTS, I had an Army Master Sgt. ask me to get a few things moved for them (Heavy Equipt). I pulled two other operators and we knocked it out like we always did. I remember the comment he made to one of the Army SSgt.'s "That Cpl. has more discipline in his pinkey than all of your NCO's"

That was motivation.

Now I don't know if the Army has a site like this and if they did, It would be hard for me to believe that there would be generation gaps as we have here that all share the same brotherhood. It is different, as Marine's we carry the title until we move on to higher duty station.

sparkie
12-16-08, 07:32 PM
I'm at the Presidio of Monterey, (wich is an army base in california in case you were wondering) and all the branchs have people here. When we marines walk down the sidewalk everyone else jumps out of our way. We dont say anything, they just move. The army busts on my navy friends alot to for doing stuff that the army has rules against but never once has any one from the army said anything to me or the other marines for that matter.

When people act like that around you, how can you not feel superior and talk smack? I mean really, you guys did it to yourself...
Why you still a Poolee????/ Get your shet together, Marine,,,,Notice the capitol 'M'.

HurricaneRJ
12-16-08, 07:39 PM
Very true, in 94 on Onslow Beach conducting JLOTS, I had an Army Master Sgt. ask me to get a few things moved for them (Heavy Equipt). I pulled two other operators and we knocked it out like we always did. I remember the comment he made to one of the Army SSgt.'s "That Cpl. has more discipline in his pinkey than all of your NCO's"

That was motivation.

Now I don't know if the Army has a site like this and if they did, It would be hard for me to believe that there would be generation gaps as we have here that all share the same brotherhood. It is different, as Marine's we carry the title until we move on to higher duty station.
It's amazing to go on Ft. Benning and walk around with him, and I can't but say the proper greeting of the day to everyone of higher rank. And I always get the confused look from them. Hell even got my brother "schooled" by a master sergeant for calling him by his rank instead of "Sergeant"

temarti
12-16-08, 07:42 PM
Hurricane that is the difference, respect. We give it and in return receive it. Good point, also continue to do what your doing.

echo3oscar1833
12-30-08, 02:43 PM
I remember when we went up to Camp Wilson in Virginia for some Field Training. There was an Army Unit that was next door to our barracks, and buddy let me tell you talk about some of the most fu$#ed up bunch of yoo-who's. There was a Exchange that we shared with the Army, and I remember all of our SNCO's outside raising hell with all of these Army punks for not saluting our Officers. My CO Capt Harris, ripped this Army SSgt a new a$$hole for not saluting. Plus a few other things I remember they would walk around while smoking ciggerettes, and there hands in there pockets, half of them were never shaved hardly, there Cammies looked like a$$, and in general just looked liked they didn't give a fu$%. Now I know they come from a different world than we do, but damn seriously how can you not salute an officer, especially when our Officers ranks shine in the sun:D, and can spot one a mile away. Thank and the whole smoking while walking with hands in there pockets thing really bothered me.

As to the Army dude who started this, your a moron, why would you come to a Marine Forum all by yourself, and start shi$. Your kinda like a broke dic$ fish in a school of Piranas here.

sdk87to91
12-30-08, 03:48 PM
After my EAS in '91 I worked with alot of post adolescent 20 somethings on a ski resort. We had a soldier on the crew who had done special forces or such in places he couldnt talk aobut. One night at the bar, I started talking the usuall crap and he gave me that battle hardened stare that he had earned and told me "dont even go there" and I regretted it ever since.
To this day I wish I had not gone there... He was okay with himself, and I realized as a Marine who did not get to go to war that I was not okay with myself yet...

Quinbo
12-30-08, 09:32 PM
Can I quote black jack pershing?

Marine84
12-30-08, 10:20 PM

You know, I used to travel the roads between SC, GA and Fl. You see some military bumper stickers but mostly Marine ones. I think it's because of the commaroderie that we have. Look at some of us that have been here for a while - we don't know each other from Adam's house cat, some of us have been out 35+ years, some are AD but, we all have that one thing in common......the Title of United States Marine. Nobody can talk to Marines but Marines because we know where we've been and where we're coming from.

There is an Army section on TWS but it doesn't allow for civilians to come in and ask questions about your branch. Some of thses Old Farts around here have talked a few kids from this site through DEP, Boot Camp,MCT, SOI and now in Afghanistan. It's the best Brotherhood that no fraternity could hold a candle to. It stays with you for life.

Sergeant Hoople
12-31-08, 12:00 AM
You know, I used to travel the roads between SC, GA and Fl. You see some military bumper stickers but mostly Marine ones. I think it's because of the commaroderie that we have. Look at some of us that have been here for a while - we don't know each other from Adam's house cat, some of us have been out 35+ years, some are AD but, we all have that one thing in common......the Title of United States Marine. Nobody can talk to Marines but Marines because we know where we've been and where we're coming from.

There is an Army section on TWS but it doesn't allow for civilians to come in and ask questions about your branch. Some of thses Old Farts around here have talked a few kids from this site through DEP, Boot Camp,MCT, SOI and now in Afghanistan. It's the best Brotherhood that no fraternity could hold a candle to. It stays with you for life.
Well I'll be damned. Very well put.

MadGhost0311
12-31-08, 12:07 AM
It starts with the mystique. Walking into that recruiters office and telling him that you want to sign up. The indoctrination begins immediately. You are told, tantalizingly, about some of the history of the Marine Corps. You are given information about some of the jobs and their requirements - Infantry (like camping, but with guns), machine gunner (camping with fully automatic guns), engineer (camping with explosives and guns), etc.

If you go Delayed Entry, you attend your meetings where the exposure is greater. You'll go through ceremonies, complete Physical Fitness Tests, learn the 11 general orders. When you go to boot, it starts at the USO, waiting for the bus. Everybody is laying around, excited but scared $#!tless. Who hasn't seen Full Metal Jacket (to date the most accurate representation of Marine Corps bootcamp in any fictional film)? That 7'9", 280 lb. Drill Instructor with the razor sharp creases (not realizing they're there, but they are) and the scowl and growl that you can't hardly recognize, telling you to get off the bus and onto the yellow foot prints.

The 48 hours of processing and receiving, the head shaving, the complete and total reduction of physical individuality, the innoculations (Operation Pincushion - A.K.A. shots). Hauling all of this unknown gear around for the start of training and standing on you footlocker in your new house as this screaming, green and tan $#!t storm comes roaring down the DI Highway. Since the physical individuality is gone, the emotional and mental individuality is broken down day by day, being built back up as a team mentality.

Situational awareness is emphasized. Knowing by the way the wind sounds that your rack mate doesn't have his cargo pocket buttons fastened. The scent of starch and boot polish that emanated from the DIs, smelling it even before they busted the hatch, breaking the silence on that most blessed of times, sleep. "FREEZE, SQUADBAY, FREEZE!"

"Bulkhead, bulkhead, do it now. MOVE!" "SECURE THE HEAD, AYE AYE SIR!!!" The explanation of the Marine Dress Blues and the significance of all parts. Why the trousers are blue and the blouse black. The blood stripe (Semper Fi brothers), the insignia on the buttons. The history of the Marine Corps insignia. Learning the Marines Hymn and the significance of the battles described therein.

"A. A. CUNNINGHAM, SIR!" 2 sheets and a blanket on line. 4 recruits descending on a pile of junk and turning it into a rock hard rack with correct 45 degree angles, completing it in less than 10 seconds, DI time. For the uninitiated, that is "10, 9, 7, 6, 3, 2, 1, you should be..." "DONE SIR" All the while, learning history, basic tactics, marksmanship, drill, how to breath by the numbers, etiquette, leadership.

HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT. Rank structure, not calling everyone of Sergeant and above just Sergeant. They've earned the rank, they should be addressed as such. Proper military bearing. Discipline. You are no longer Jonny, Charles, Bob, Stan, Dustin. You are recruit. Not Recruit, but with the lowercase r. If they could make it lower, they would. You get built back up. You might even become a Recruit. If you're particularly lucky (or unlucky), you may even become Recruit Smith, Recruit McVey, or Recruit Johnson. You will not be addressed by any sort of rank until you've earned that right.

When I went through, at the end of the Crucible, I received my Eagle, Globe and Anchor, squeezing it so tight that blood ran over it and down out of my hand. I didn't put it down until we got back to the house, eating with it and carrying gear with it in my hand. I carried 2 packs and 2 m-16s at the end because my hootch-mate broke his foot, and I was dragging major @$$, trying to keep up with the platoon. Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Mack stayed right at my side, "motivating" me to not quit because of the fun he would have with his new Private.

Things change, they are bound to. They have to change. Marines of today have something in common with the very first Marines. We are all Marines. Not soldiers in the Army, sailors in the Navy or airmen in the Air Force (guardians in the Coast Guard anybody?). We are, we have been, and we always will be Marines. It is a team so unlike any other; a brotherhood so unique unto itself that I don't think even we can put into words exactly what is so great about it. We all try to do so with our boot camp stories, our float stories or our deployment stories, but it's never quite as well understood as we want it to be, unless the person you are talking to has been through it. Even though we've all been through different generations of boot, we're all brothers. The history and esprit de corps lives on from each generation of salty DIs, passed down to the rawest, greenest recruit. I'm willing to bet that some of the things I've said have sparked smiles and laughs or screams and shakes in some of the jarheads reading this. For those of you who might read this but haven't been, I truly hope that one day you will be able to join the brotherhood. If not, I believe in reincarnation. Maybe you can come back and try again in another life. God Bless and Semper Fidelis. Have a great new year!

Artemis
12-31-08, 12:09 AM
I am gonna sort of hi-jack this and say there are a few people in the Army that I know and work with that are good NCO's.

Oh wait that is because they were all Marines first.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

teddiaz
12-31-08, 12:21 AM
I believe all that was said above. In Viet Nam 1968 I saw an Army of individuallism. It looked pretty sad to me. Being a GOOD fighting force is first and foremost BEING A TEAM. I can't explain it but you can see it. My father was in the Army Artillary in WWII (fighting in the Pacific against the Japanese) and I was proud of him. I'm glad if anybody serves and fights for our country. That's a big thing. But don't compare Army with Marines unless you've been there. Marines are BRAINS and GUTS. YES, a budget that's different, YES, a mission that's different and YES, a team that's different.

egbutler1
12-31-08, 12:39 AM
First off we all do fight under the same flag and in the same wars. But I have worked along side the Army and was enraged at how laxs they are. Why are the Marines back in Afgan, well because the Army gave it away. Marines are not ment to be an occuping forces. We just over run the enemy and leave the occuping to the Army but sure enough and it always does happen the Marines must come back in and occupy because the Army f-ed it up somehow. We talk **** because we can, because we know we are the best and that we do more with less. Its the mindset we have as Marines our triditions and our honor. We are the baddest mother-fu@kers to walk the earth, and you don't wanna fu@k with me. No disrespect just my opnion from what I have seen.

SgtHMH
12-31-08, 12:46 AM
All Military Branches put each other down and have names for each other that is how it has always been. There has been name calling and at times bar fights. That is the way it has always been and always will be. There is one thing though in the time of need and fight we will fight to protect each other, that has happend before and will always be.

These Colors Don't Run :iwo:

:marine::evilgrin:

SGT7477
12-31-08, 08:26 AM
One thing that still holds true, The Marines have been fixing the army's mistakes since 1775, OOHRAH.

NoRemorse
12-31-08, 08:32 AM
It starts with the mystique. Walking into that recruiters office and telling him that you want to sign up. The indoctrination begins immediately. You are told, tantalizingly, about some of the history of the Marine Corps. You are given information about some of the jobs and their requirements - Infantry (like camping, but with guns), machine gunner (camping with fully automatic guns), engineer (camping with explosives and guns), etc.

If you go Delayed Entry, you attend your meetings where the exposure is greater. You'll go through ceremonies, complete Physical Fitness Tests, learn the 11 general orders. When you go to boot, it starts at the USO, waiting for the bus. Everybody is laying around, excited but scared $#!tless. Who hasn't seen Full Metal Jacket (to date the most accurate representation of Marine Corps bootcamp in any fictional film)? That 7'9", 280 lb. Drill Instructor with the razor sharp creases (not realizing they're there, but they are) and the scowl and growl that you can't hardly recognize, telling you to get off the bus and onto the yellow foot prints.

The 48 hours of processing and receiving, the head shaving, the complete and total reduction of physical individuality, the innoculations (Operation Pincushion - A.K.A. shots). Hauling all of this unknown gear around for the start of training and standing on you footlocker in your new house as this screaming, green and tan $#!t storm comes roaring down the DI Highway. Since the physical individuality is gone, the emotional and mental individuality is broken down day by day, being built back up as a team mentality.

Situational awareness is emphasized. Knowing by the way the wind sounds that your rack mate doesn't have his cargo pocket buttons fastened. The scent of starch and boot polish that emanated from the DIs, smelling it even before they busted the hatch, breaking the silence on that most blessed of times, sleep. "FREEZE, SQUADBAY, FREEZE!"

"Bulkhead, bulkhead, do it now. MOVE!" "SECURE THE HEAD, AYE AYE SIR!!!" The explanation of the Marine Dress Blues and the significance of all parts. Why the trousers are blue and the blouse black. The blood stripe (Semper Fi brothers), the insignia on the buttons. The history of the Marine Corps insignia. Learning the Marines Hymn and the significance of the battles described therein.

"A. A. CUNNINGHAM, SIR!" 2 sheets and a blanket on line. 4 recruits descending on a pile of junk and turning it into a rock hard rack with correct 45 degree angles, completing it in less than 10 seconds, DI time. For the uninitiated, that is "10, 9, 7, 6, 3, 2, 1, you should be..." "DONE SIR" All the while, learning history, basic tactics, marksmanship, drill, how to breath by the numbers, etiquette, leadership.

HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT. Rank structure, not calling everyone of Sergeant and above just Sergeant. They've earned the rank, they should be addressed as such. Proper military bearing. Discipline. You are no longer Jonny, Charles, Bob, Stan, Dustin. You are recruit. Not Recruit, but with the lowercase r. If they could make it lower, they would. You get built back up. You might even become a Recruit. If you're particularly lucky (or unlucky), you may even become Recruit Smith, Recruit McVey, or Recruit Johnson. You will not be addressed by any sort of rank until you've earned that right.

When I went through, at the end of the Crucible, I received my Eagle, Globe and Anchor, squeezing it so tight that blood ran over it and down out of my hand. I didn't put it down until we got back to the house, eating with it and carrying gear with it in my hand. I carried 2 packs and 2 m-16s at the end because my hootch-mate broke his foot, and I was dragging major @$$, trying to keep up with the platoon. Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Mack stayed right at my side, "motivating" me to not quit because of the fun he would have with his new Private.

Things change, they are bound to. They have to change. Marines of today have something in common with the very first Marines. We are all Marines. Not soldiers in the Army, sailors in the Navy or airmen in the Air Force (guardians in the Coast Guard anybody?). We are, we have been, and we always will be Marines. It is a team so unlike any other; a brotherhood so unique unto itself that I don't think even we can put into words exactly what is so great about it. We all try to do so with our boot camp stories, our float stories or our deployment stories, but it's never quite as well understood as we want it to be, unless the person you are talking to has been through it. Even though we've all been through different generations of boot, we're all brothers. The history and esprit de corps lives on from each generation of salty DIs, passed down to the rawest, greenest recruit. I'm willing to bet that some of the things I've said have sparked smiles and laughs or screams and shakes in some of the jarheads reading this. For those of you who might read this but haven't been, I truly hope that one day you will be able to join the brotherhood. If not, I believe in reincarnation. Maybe you can come back and try again in another life. God Bless and Semper Fidelis. Have a great new year!

That brought chills to my spine, warmth to my heart, joy to my soul and memories of Smokey Bears running roughshod over 60+ nasty things.

God bless the Marine Corps... wait, He already did. :flag:

mark king
12-31-08, 10:07 AM

Show some respect towards the army,hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah,and yes we are the only ones on the front lines(KICKIN ASS).

SGT7477
12-31-08, 10:44 AM
You little lie'n puke. You went to relax'n Jackson, you might have run 6 miles all week, not in a day. You got weekend libo, had co-ed platoons and lived in dorm rooms. My brother - in - law went through there. He was in better shape before he went than when he graduated. He called my sister at least 4 times a week. There was no change in him after graduation than before.
My Dad is a Marine, joined in '65, his Dad is a Korea Marine, I am a Marine. When we all got together the first time, even with the generation gaps, we were brothers and acted as such. He commented on the fact that he never saw that in the Army.... never. He see's the way the 3 of us carry ourselves and is greatly dissasppointed in the Army. His quote ... It was harder for me to make Eagle Scout than anything I have done in the Army.
Not busting my brother - in - law. I couldn't think of a better man for my sister to marry.
While with 2 LAR we would go to Benning yearly to use the Bradley live fire ranges. Us scouts got to go play with the Rangers ..... they are equal to your average Marine grunt on there best day. There is nothing superior about them. They are just doggies trying to play Marine.

LMFAO.:D

SGT7477
12-31-08, 10:53 AM
BTW where is that frickin doggie, ruff,ruff,ruff?

Maldonado 2060
12-31-08, 10:59 AM
Hes probably passed out on the side of a road someplace from running his 6-10 miles or looking to see what patches would get the most poontang and free beer.

NoRemorse
12-31-08, 11:08 AM
Hes probably passed out on the side of a road someplace from running his 6-10 miles or looking to see what patches would get the most poontang and free beer.

If'n ya don't put them in the right place all them patches provide more drag and might cause him to have to exert himself.

Then he'd have to open his nasty suck like the dog he his and let his tongue drag in the dirt.

SGT7477
12-31-08, 11:11 AM

I have to always think back to bootcamp when our SDI would always knock the army, he said they looked like walking Christmas trees with all the trinkets they wear,lol.:flag:

ironjohn929
12-31-08, 11:31 AM
I have found the Army to be a very professional, and if you permit "Elite" fighting force in its own right

"Very Professional" by who's standard? The Marine Corps provides a professionalism one can never imagine unless one is a part of it. Our professionalism is proven time and time again not only in combat as is shown by our incredible track record, but also in garrison and in the corporate world. I don't see too many corporate management programs that are based on the US Army leadership style.

Simple psychological perspective here.....a person will exagerate and overcompensate for his or her insecurities. That being said, why is it that everytime I talk to an active or veteran Army member, he starts the conversation with, "I remember this one time this Marine got his a** kicked by this Army guy......."?

How about another perspective.....if you can't handle a little intermilitary trash talk between the Marines and the Army, then maybe you weren't trained as hard as you should have been!!!

Elite fighting force???? No I wont permit that!!!! There is nothing elite about big numbers of personnel and big numbers of cash thrown at any force to win a war!!!

And one more thing, you said you joined for the tuition assistance blah blah blah. Marines are here to serve...not be served. You are obviously of the mindset that someone owes you something and you wish to be served. :evilgrin:

nptwildcat
12-31-08, 12:33 PM
We have a young guy that has worked here for about six years. Two years ago he decide to join the army reserve. Now this kid is quite, weak and scared of his own shadow. He was that way when he left. When he first got back, he decide to wrestle one of our other employees. They were about the same size. Well army boy got thrown around like a rag doll. Six months later my son got home from P.I. Both guys were talking about how Joey (army boy) got his butt kicked by Joe (civilian). So Josh being a Marine now, challenged them both. Not one at a time, but both at the same time. I don't really think I need to tell you the outcome. Everyone still talks about the Marine that took out both of them. I remember Josh standing over Joey saying, "army strong my azz".

Eric Hood
12-31-08, 12:54 PM
We have the best Army in the world and the finest Soldiers. I don't do the Corps any service by bashing the Army.
Semper Fi,
Eric

mcvet57103
12-31-08, 01:33 PM

I do have one small complaint, why does the Corps feel as though its can berate and trash talk the Army

Ok I trimmed down your post to get to the heart of the rant. Just one thing to say. UNTIL YOU MAKE IT THROUGH MARINE BASIC TRAINING, YOU WILL NEVER BE ONE OF, OR UNDERSTAND WHY WE ARE, THE FINEST, MEANEST, MOST DISAPLINED FIGHTING FORCE/BROTHERHOOD, ON THIS EARTH. If you want to be one of us, and earn our respect, join the Marines. That is, IF YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH.:evilgrin: Otherwise SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!:evilgrin:
Oh and Happy New Year Dog Face

NoRemorse
12-31-08, 01:36 PM
Ok I trimmed down your post to get to the heart of the rant. Just one thing to say. UNTIL YOU MAKE IT THROUGH MARINE BASIC TRAINING, YOU WILL NEVER BE ONE OF, OR UNDERSTAND WHY WE ARE, THE FINEST, MEANEST, MOST DISAPLINED FIGHTING FORCE/BROTHERHOOD, ON THIS EARTH. If you want to be one of us, and earn our respect, join the Marines. That is, IF YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH.:evilgrin: Otherwise SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!:evilgrin:

After that one I'm pretty sure the temp by you is above freezing.

Semper Fi! :usmc:

Gunner 0313
12-31-08, 01:38 PM
:flag: YUT, YUT, YUT !!! GET SOME !!!

mcvet57103
12-31-08, 01:45 PM
After that one I'm pretty sure the temp by you is above freezing.

Semper Fi! :usmc:After Beans and serano peppers for lunch I had to release some pressure. :banana:

Integrity57
12-31-08, 02:35 PM
Man he's got it all wrong, the Navy is where it's at ;)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR7hPXzjmA4

jrhd97
12-31-08, 03:12 PM
..... Everyone still talks about the Marine that took out both of them. I remember Josh standing over Joey saying, "army strong my azz".
ROTFLMAO!! :banana:

Gunner 0313
12-31-08, 03:17 PM
:flag: I think this one bears repeating.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m304/puertoruvianpow/Army20Strong20Hooooah211.jpg

mcvet57103
12-31-08, 03:30 PM
ROTFLMAO!! :banana:While stationed at Redstone Arsenal, Ala in 75 I got jumped by two Army sh-tbirds coming back from the EM Club outside our Company office at 0100 drunk off my azz. By the time the OD got to me one was knocked out and I was kneeling on the other one choking the sh-t out of him. And they tried to say "I" started the fight. MPs didn't buy it, and the Company Gunny the next day congratulated me. That hand to hand combat training paid off that night.

jfweeden
12-31-08, 04:38 PM
Hello

Yeah I know as a poolee I probably don't rate to even be typing, but I've always seen the Army as a big heavyweight boxer, slower to react, but when they do hit you, you feel it. I see the Marine Corps as a middleweight boxer, faster and quicker, not quite as big as the Army, and in some cases can be more powerful. Just my two cents.

jrhd97
12-31-08, 04:43 PM
Hello

Yeah I know as a poolee I probably don't rate to even be typing, but I've always seen the Army as a big heavyweight boxer, slower to react, but when they do hit you, you feel it. I see the Marine Corps as a middleweight boxer, faster and quicker, not quite as big as the Army, and in some cases can be more powerful. Just my two cents.
Study your history, we don't need to be bigger to fix there screw ups. We do it just fine a 1/4 of the size.
Follow rules.

SGT7477
12-31-08, 05:08 PM
Hello

How wrong you are.:evilgrin:

mcvet57103
12-31-08, 05:18 PM
Hello

Yeah I know as a poolee I probably don't rate to even be typing, but I've always seen the Army as a big heavyweight boxer, slower to react, but when they do hit you, you feel it. I see the Marine Corps as a middleweight boxer, faster and quicker, not quite as big as the Army, and in some cases can be more powerful. Just my two cents.Hey Poolee, Get out of this site. You haven't earned the right to post here. Where the heck is the Drifter, or Wing? Trying to interject your opinion here is like a two year old trying to tell his Daddy how to screw.

richerich
12-31-08, 05:55 PM
Perhaps you Marines are splitting hairs here. :)

Simply put, I never understood the coed Army boot camp... I just met an Army guy who, had a girlfriend (!) in basic training... He came to find out later, that his girl's Drill Sergeant impregnated her while there. Yeah, I would have loved to have ladies around in boot, but I would have failed by distraction.

I frequently run across nasty officers (by Marine Corps standards) in the Army that receive little respect. Never have I ran across an unsat MC Officer.

Zulu 36
12-31-08, 06:38 PM
I've had the honor to know a number of exceptional soldiers in my lifetime. However, most were special forces, DELTA, rangers, or paras. Not all of them are nasty sleazeballs.

Sadly, too many are.

My first real epiphany about the Army being rather low brow in the non-elite ranks was when I was a PFC in Vietnam. We were located near a battalion of the 1stAirCav. Walking around the PX area, I would hear junior soldiers hollering, "Hey! L.T., L.T.!" I had no idea, at first, they were addressing a lieutenant like that. I was astounded when I figured it out.

All I could think of was what would happen to me if I tried to address a Marine lieutenant like that? If the lieutenant didn't beat me down, some NCO would. I know some Army guys got chunks ripped from their ass when they did try to address our officers like buds from back on the block.

It was inconceivable to me to even think of speaking to an officer like that. But I understood why our DIs tended to denigrate the Army.

HiDezMarine
12-31-08, 07:51 PM
:usmc:Don't you have an Army website where some might find this interesting?

mcvet57103
12-31-08, 09:21 PM
:usmc:Don't you have an Army website where some might find this interesting?Yeah I do. (together we served .com) Remove the spaces and paste it into your search engine. The site also has a section for each service. Go there and do not darken our doorstep again young padiwan.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-01-09, 09:04 AM
Six pages and every one a delight to read. <br />
<br />
Man, there's dumb, and then...there's 'army dumb' LOL. <br />
<br />
I could only read so much of the army lad's posts before skipping through. <br />
<br />
However, as a...

mcvet57103
01-01-09, 09:46 AM
Well said Sgt Lep. SF

rekurfees
01-09-09, 10:00 AM

Aren't
Ready to be
Marines
Yet

or

Aren't
Really
Marines
Yet

or Aren't
really
men
yet:flag:

Tarheel
01-09-09, 08:34 PM
All I know is that I respect all Marines and Soldiers who fight and die for me.

sapper101
03-23-09, 02:40 PM
Hey Bro, don't take it personally. It's just a little b@ll busting thats all. I was in the Army for 10 years and swithced to the Corps. Yeah, I caught alot of #$%^ when I was poking around this site also but hey, if you want to do it, it can be done. I will tell you this when I logged back onto this site after I was officially a Marine I was accepted with open arms. If you wanna do it then do it, if not then don't, but if your gonna let a little bit of trash talk get to you then I suggest you seriously think hard about what you want to get into. Trust me being a soldier took alot but to be a Marine means you have to be alot tougher.

sapper101
03-23-09, 02:56 PM
Look. It's just a little b@ll busting thats all. I was in the Army for 10 years and when I joined this site and started saying that I was going to switch over I got the same kind of #@!%. I will tell you this though after I went to PI and earned the title of Marine I came back on this site and was welcomed with open arms. I'll break it down to you even though I busted my @$$ everyday in the Army I still saw soldiers being handed things. We Marines past and present EARN everything we get. Now as for you switching over it can be done if I can do it at 30 years old and 10 years in the Army you can too. But one thing that I don't want to hear is you to come on here and brag or B!*&^ about how hard you had it on Sand Hill. No one here is going to deny that you had it a rough and no matter what people say there will be a level of respect for the fact that you are serving in the Armed Forces. But don't you ever in your mother$*%&^() life try to get loud or try to act bad@$$ to a person who earned his title and not given to him before he ever went to bootcamp. I've lived both sides of the fence so trust me I know what I'm talking about. If you want to do it then do it. If not then don't but give respect where it's due especially on a site for Marines in which you are a GUEST!!!!!!

Wyoming
03-23-09, 03:28 PM
AND BIGGER BALLS.........:iwo:

... but not as big as commdog7's - :D

SSgt Ramsey
03-23-09, 04:00 PM
Wow...just...wow

I've always been of the belief that each of the service branches serves a unique purpose unto itself for the most part, we're all on the same team, and ultimately serve the same master in defense of our country and foreign policy across the world.

I have not had much interaction with the Army in the past, I will admit that, but what little I did have left a very bad taste in my mouth.

To begin with, Marine's are inherently different, we always have been and hopefully will be for hundreds of years to come.

Of all the Military branches, you can be in the Army, you can be in the Navy, but you ARE a MARINE. I realize that it sounds trivial to you, but to us, it's our heritage and identity, formed by sacrifice, hard work, and a love for your fellow Marine that the other branches do NOT instill.

My first negative Army experience was at Ft Leonard Wood, MO. I was there as a Sgt attending the Heavy Equipment Journeyman's Course. All of us being SNCO's or NCO's and fully funded orders, we had a decent life. I stopped into the little BX on base, and encountered this: a Marine PFC did something wrong or whatever and was corrected by a Army Sgt. Fine, great, no problem...you're correcting the problem and supposed to be done with it. Nope...Army Sgt was humiliating the PFC making him go from Parade Rest to POA repeatedly. I of course step in, ask the Marine what's up ignoring Sgt Douche, and tell him to go away. I then confront Sgt Douche...I just told him to make me go at POA....just try it and see what happens. It got ugly, he slunk away to have his buddies console or stroke him I think...piece of sh!t!!

Second occurance happened at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah GA during ASCIETT-2000. We were there supporting the exercise with HE and MT assets and living at a barracks on the flight line. No problem. A short distance away, there was a bunch of Ranger's...big whoop.

Well, the Ranger's thought they'd be funny one night and raid our barracks and cause hate and discontent. All this really did was empty our barracks and **** us off royally. I'm not saying we stomped the Rangers, we took our lumps, but they limped away and we got their little Ranger flag they carried during the raid. The next day, the Ranger's Major came to our building trying to intimidate our Maj and to give them their flag back (I guess the Ranger's told "dad" they got pummelled). Well, our Major was a previous All-American football player with absolutely NO neck and was a bodybuilder...needless to say the Ranger went away without a flag. Last I seen it, it was in the trophy case at MWSS-274 lol.

There have been and continue to be some great things done by people in the Army, not denying that. But to come on here and try to justify your existence and say "we're just as good" is not gonna work. We are different, and thank God for that...Marine's are the best people I know. We're loud, we're rude, we're crass (and that's just the females), and we may fight against each other, but Heaven help you if you get between us.

Wyoming
03-23-09, 04:10 PM
and we may fight against each other, but Heaven help you if you get between us.

THAT, says it all!!

NewHarleyGear
03-23-09, 04:45 PM
I'm a former grunt and PMI (Parris Island, MCRD) and I respect all of our military service personnel. My father (Vietnam Vet, USAF), my sister (Major, flight nurse, USAF) bringing back the critically wounded soldiers as you're reading this, and my daughter (Army MP) heading to Iraq next month. May God bless all of our troops!

DocGreek
03-24-09, 08:35 AM
ENOUGH OF THIS ARMY CRAP!!! When I was "in country", we saw that wherever they went, they had "water-Buffalo's, and HOT CHOW"!! POOR discipline, terrible training, and unqualified leaders!!! WHAT A CLUSTER FVCK!! PROUD TO HAVE SERVED, WITH THE BEST, WITH THE LEAST!!.....DOC

avenger08
03-24-09, 08:53 AM
bro, my uncle served in the army, for 8 years got out as a staff sergeant. dont get me wrong alot of my family fought in the army. but i also had a dream to be a marine, for 18 years i bled marine corps pride, had marine corps flags in my room, flying on the flag pole outside, and draped in my back window of my truck. i talked to army recruiters and they didnt appeal to me like the marines did. didnt like the fact they wore cammies out in town. didnt hold themselves up to the standards of the corps. dont get me wrong im just a airwinger but im still proud to call myself a MARINE. i mean seriously i have friends in the airforce, army, and navy. they are all good branches in theirselves. but if you want to look at professionals go look at the airforce, army, or navy. if you want mean, blood sucking, killers. LOOK AT THE MARINES. yea its all a whos got the bigger dick, competition with the corps and other branches, but seriously its the same in the Marines. groundside Marines dog on the Airwing Marines. Grunts think everything thats not a grunt is a pogue. and wingers think that grunts are all dumb ass individuals. o well get the **** over it bro. **** suck it the **** up they have extra straws in the chow hall.

SGT7477
03-24-09, 11:06 AM
ENOUGH OF THIS ARMY CRAP!!! When I was "in country", we saw that wherever they went, they had "water-Buffalo's, and HOT CHOW"!! POOR discipline, terrible training, and unqualified leaders!!! WHAT A CLUSTER FVCK!! PROUD TO HAVE SERVED, WITH THE BEST, WITH THE LEAST!!.....DOC
Amen to that Doc.:thumbup: