PDA

View Full Version : H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69

Noynik
12-15-08, 08:30 PM
Looking for fellow marines who stayed in H&MS-17 or 1st MAW Headquarters around 1968/69.

davblay
12-15-08, 10:33 PM
I was close.....WERS-17, MWSG-17, 1st MAW, DaNang.....Sept 69-Feb 70.

But I do know the outfit you speak of, somewhat.

Dave

Noynik
12-15-08, 10:44 PM
MWSG-17 and H&MS-17 is the same compound. Both units were in the huts of this compound.

Were you around when the rocket took out our outside movie area?

Bomb dump going off?

davblay
12-15-08, 10:51 PM
Well if clean up counts, then yes I was there for that little episode., LMAO.

I thought those picture looked familiar, brother! Especially the chow hall! hehe.

I know I had to slip thought the hole in the fence at the AF compound outdoor flick to watch a movie, with the open beer and all. Damdest thing, every beer you bought, they'd open it, even if you bought a case, LMAO. Hot Shlitz in rusty cans.

Dave

Noynik
12-15-08, 11:24 PM
I just dumped a whole bunch of pictures into my 1st MAW alblum. Check it out, you may recognize a few places...

razorback76
12-16-08, 06:41 PM
I was a cook assigned to H&MS17. I don't run into many people from that outfit, no matter what dates they served. Just thought I'd say hello and Merry Christmas. I was there for christmas of 66. Rained so hard you couldn't see 20 yds. in front of you. Civilian cargo plane crashed into a village just outside the airbase and killed over 100 villagers. A very fouled mouth santa and driver showed up in a jeep, armed to the teeth and soaking wet, with a sack full of gifts. The commanding general of the 1st maw gave pen and pencil sets to every 1st maw member. they were inscribred with christmas 1966, da nang rvn, 1st MAW. I still have mine. semper fidelis, Jerry Clements

Noynik
12-16-08, 07:08 PM
I too was there for the Monsoon season. I hooked a ride back to the compound from 1st MAW, they dropped me off on the street in front of the Air Force security squadron. Water was up to street level. I started to walk toward my hut (E-2) but forgot about the ditch. I was soon over my head in water. I swam across the ditch and sloshed my way to the hut and started to dry out... I'm glad we didn't get any incoming because the bunker was filled with water as well.... I used the main gate after that till the monsoon was over.... ;-)

miked23
12-21-08, 06:17 PM
I was in H&MS 17 from Oct 1968 to Oct 1969. Avionics shop.

miked23
12-21-08, 06:29 PM
Oh, and by the way, the bomb dump blowing up would have been hard to miss. I recall
it was mostly small stuff at first, but then the really big stuff going off after dark, when we had been moved to the Air Force side of the base.

Noynik
12-21-08, 06:37 PM
Mike! (Rocket Man) It's me! Big Al!! We lived in hut E-2 Disbursing... How the hell are you!!! I'm living in California now. I tracked down Doug Becksted (Do Right Man).

miked23
12-21-08, 06:41 PM
Oh my God! I never thought anyone would remember me by my real name.

I live in Santa Rosa, about an hour north of San Francisco.

Noynik
12-21-08, 06:46 PM
Send me some email at bert@kinyons.com. I'm living in Newark which is in the south San Francisco bay.

Noynik
12-21-08, 06:47 PM
I just called Doug (in Eureka) and told him we've found another one!!!

razorback76
12-22-08, 06:55 AM
The group bomb dump was hit during an attack on july 15, 1967. As I recall, there were about 50 rounds fired that night, over a period of almost an hour, around 3am..We were ducking down in our bunkers laughing and joking, as most of the rounds passed over us to hit the air force side. It was the last round that hit the bomb dump. The explosion was pretty intense and it stopped all of the laughing and joking. Lots of concussion damage to our huts and locks of rocks rained down on our area but no one was hurt. The mess hall ceiling collapsed onto 1200 lbs. of chicken that was thawing out for that days noon meal. It all had yto be destroyed because of all the junk that fell on it. We ate B-ration chicken that day, boy were the troops ****ed. That was the day before my 20th birthday. semper fidelis, Jerry

Noynik
12-22-08, 07:01 AM
I remember the very large mushroom cloud exposions with the white condensation rings blowing outward in the sky. As soon as they passed overhead we were knocked on our butts. You could see the marsh grass lay down and come back up as the concusion traveled over them. When it got to the air field we saw it take down hangers!! The damage all over the area was quite extensive.

miked23
12-22-08, 04:41 PM
I need to dig up & scan some of my pictures, I have some showing the smoke clouds, and others showing the damage to the H&MS 17 hangar and also the mess hall. I didn't fall down, but it was obviously damaged.

razorback76
12-22-08, 05:18 PM
Mike,
I look forward to seeing the pictures. As you entered the back of the mess hall there was a small room to your left, this was insulated with the foam packing that the flares came in, so that we could thaw out frozen meat in a more controlled temperature. The ceiling to this room collapsed, bringing down the flourescent light fixtures and the foam. The glass was imbedded in the meat and covered with styrafoam particles. The rest of the mess hall was largely untouched, some holes in the tin roof and some boards that had to be renailed.
That night in the bunker, a buddy of mine and I were talking about making it to the next day. On 7/16/67, Cpl. Fred Thompson and I would both celebrate bidthdays, his 19th and my 20th. We used to hang out together and were referred to as Tom and Jerry. On the 16th we reported to work and found a huge birthday cake that the night bakers had made for us. You guessed it, it

razorback76
12-22-08, 05:21 PM
it said, happy birthday tom and jerry. that was really cool. Fred extended for 6 months and went to Sydney austrailia. He married a gril from there and I believe he still lives there. Semper Fidelis, Jerr sorry for the broken message

bootlace15
12-22-08, 07:01 PM
how do you like that. One thread and buddies meet again. Ya gotta love leatherneck.

bootlace15 out

miked23
12-22-08, 08:22 PM
Razorback, I remember the foam flare packing material, some of the guys got hold of some & put it up in the hooches. Much cooler on the hot days. I also remember monsoon season, and it seemed like our living area would be flooded every couple of hours. I also remember the Air Force had two story barracks across the street from us, and considering the rockets I thought that was nuts. Don't recall them ever getting hit, but we were a couple of times. Nothing serious, just enough to get your heart started.

miked23
12-23-08, 10:54 PM
I uploaded an album and named it "Da Nang bomb dump going up", there are some interesting pictures of that memorable event.

jinelson
12-24-08, 01:18 AM
Hey Burt remember me? Jimbo from Gubers! I hope that you and mama have the best of holidays. God bless ya bald headed you know what lol.

Semper Fi

Jim

Noynik
12-24-08, 03:53 AM
Hay Jim! Sure do! The wife and I will be moving to Round Rock Tx. in January. Stop by! I'll sponser one!!

beamer5928
12-30-08, 01:26 PM
Hi Noynik!
My name is Ron Beaman. I live in Ft. Worth, Texas. I was with 1st MAW from Aug 68 to May 69. I worked in the Communications Center. Great to see the pics you posted. Brings to life my time from 40 years ago!
Here some more pics you might know about but it has some postings you might want to follow up on.
Hope to get an email from you sometime and maybe a phone conversation.
Glad you made it home!
Semper Fi!
Ron

beamer5928
12-30-08, 01:39 PM
Ron Beaman
1st MAW - Headquarters Squadron
Aug 68 - May 69
Teletype Operator - 1st MAW Comm Center
ron.beaman@ipgtour.com
Ft. Worth, TX

beamer5928
12-30-08, 01:40 PM
Bruce Parten
Was with 1st MAW 68-89
I think he was from Jonesboro, AR but might have been from Texas.
Worked in the wing comm center.
Appreciate any help locating him.

AlwaysWillBe
04-08-09, 03:03 PM
WOW!!!! I was in the Avionics shop of H&MS-17 from Dec. '67 to Jan. '69!!!!
The squadron doesn't exist any more and I've lost touch with everyone.
I was there before the water tower was built. Cold showers only at that time.
And also the night the E-1, 2 & 3's used a truck to pull the old EM club down!!!!

kz1a
04-16-09, 03:34 PM
Was in H&MS-17 Flare Crew from Feb.69 to Jan.70.
We all lived in the same coumpound.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/avatars/sgt.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=38972)

Mac McGrath
H&MS-17, H&MS-11
DaNang, RVN 1969-1970

flashman
11-13-09, 08:25 AM
Hey--first time I found anything on H&MS-17..I guess we were just low rents compared to the hot shots on Marble Mountain..I left right after Tet (68)..I really remember the ammo dump going up..actually think it went off for about 3-4 days.
I have really good memories of Major Wimmler (SP)...he flew one of our 34s.
Also have memories of flying flares--trying to get some flight pay(do recall the lousy bologna sandwiches)..be glad to hear from you all...

shaferf61
11-24-09, 11:51 AM
I was in Group Supply at Mwsg-17 in Danang from 20 Sept 68- until 8 Oct 69
for a while I was the gopher between Group supply and Avionics besides a myriad of other supply duties that e-4/e-5 did.
April 30 1969- bomb dump went up..I remember the circles in the sky that would rapidly grow- once they were over us the sound wave would hit. it was strong enough to put out the candles we had in the bunkers..... I remember Sept 3 1969- I might be a few days off on these dates.... anyway hochimihn died and they lit up the skies for several nights...... january 69 I was in what they called the reactionary platoon that would muster ever time rockets or anything hostile developed...... they took us out in some factory where we were doing a search and destroy. a real gaggle#### - this was tet 69 - we had some gungho captain that would try to get us out in the rice patties and jungle and he succeeded several times. we were lucky so I am glad we did that........ whew - lots of memories...... I hadn't thought of for a long time. fshafer@hotmail.com

shaferf61
11-24-09, 11:54 AM
so there must have been several times the bomb dump went up........

late april 69 was the one I was there for.

shaferf61
11-24-09, 12:00 PM
I remember the very large mushroom cloud exposions with the white condensation rings blowing outward in the sky. As soon as they passed overhead we were knocked on our butts. You could see the marsh grass lay down and come back up as the concusion traveled over them. When it got to the air field we saw it take down hangers!! The damage all over the area was quite extensive.

that's what I remember------ do you remember that time as april of 69?

I'm guessing it had happened before july of 67-
according to other posts

lowdaw
03-10-10, 10:01 AM
Looking for fellow marines who stayed in H&MS-17 or 1st MAW Headquarters around 1968/69.
I was in the Avionics Shop H&MS17, 1st MAW from Jan. 1968 to Oct. 1968. I have a few vivid memories of events that happened that year including the TET Offensive. I spent most of my tour on Reactionary Platoon as well as putting in 12 hours a day, 7 days a week working on busted and blasted electronics. I don't remember any names of the personnel there but, I remember when the A4 attempted a landing with a broken strut and ended up in our hanger after nearly taking out the Maintenance Office. The Air Force crash crew followed it all the way foaming it down because of sidewinders still attached to the wings.

shaferf61
03-10-10, 10:10 AM
Interesting. I got to Danang approx. 20 Sept 1968 and went to H & MS 17 - in the Group Supply unit. I probably became the "gopher" or liason to ICECUB in spring 69 and did it for 4-6 months. The part I went to was an air conditioned trailer with a bunch of guys working there. I had little idea of their job other than the electronics of the planes. What I most remember was the late april 69 bomb dump going up. the jan 69 tet offensive. the sep 3 69 Ho Chi Minh death...... and flying out on 8 oct 69. I had a couple of r & r's to Hong kong while there in Danang....... interesting tour and I was lucky to be involved in little of the **** going down...... we had rocket attacks and a few excursions out into the countryside...... but no wholesale slaughter that I witnessed..... I was very young, 19-20 or so.

Noynik
03-10-10, 02:56 PM
Did you know a guy by the name of Mike Dolan? I think his nick name was "Rocket Man".

shaferf61
03-10-10, 03:24 PM
No, I can't place a Mike Dolan.....

Blackcat
04-03-10, 09:36 PM
Wow, I was there from 08/66-09/67 and 02/68-04/69. I was with H&MS-17 and worked in the avonics shop. I also flew the flare ships to get the flight pay and wings. I wish I could figure out who some of you guys are because I'm sure I know you. I also have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them...... Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Campbell Sgt. USMC

Blackcat
04-03-10, 09:42 PM
WOW!!!! I was in the Avionics shop of H&MS-17 from Dec. '67 to Jan. '69!!!!
The squadron doesn't exist any more and I've lost touch with everyone.
I was there before the water tower was built. Cold showers only at that time.
And also the night the E-1, 2 & 3's used a truck to pull the old EM club down!!!!

I believe that was New Years eve. I remember it well......... I'm not admitting any guilt. LOL!

lowdaw
04-04-10, 11:03 AM
I believe that was New Years eve. I remember it well......... I'm not admitting any guilt. LOL!

Hey, Blackcat, I think you were the Sgt. that dragged me around to all the drinking holes every night for about 4 months until the club was closed. That didn't stop us though. We went to the Army bomb dump a couple of times. There was another Marine that was with us from time to time. He was a Cpl. and I think his first name was Carl. Ring any bells?

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-03-10, 04:49 AM
Hey you Marines from MWSG-17-Sep68toOct69--It's me-Doc Wilder-hutch F8-I know you guys remember me.I patched all you guys up at the Dispensory-All the Corpsman that we're at MWSG-17-We're Great. Big Willy-the Pharmarcist-Lil Willy,Mccillip-2nd degree blackbelt-in Shotokan karate.Alan W.Crowe,Little Joe,Teddy Tucker,Huey,Fraily,The Studying Detective,Keith Graham,Mike the Dental tech,The replacement Dental-tech-The Corpsman from Penn.Another HM2-Huey-Hey It's 42 years-I forgot some Corpsman.Now for some of My People-the Marines I remember.Rocketman,Green Monster,Head,The Marine that worked in supply-We went to Udorn for a RON-I was the Corpsman that was in the Chow-Hall and a bullet went through the tin roof but was stopped-by the fluorcent light or it would have gone through my head.
I must commend Dr John Merjavy and Dr Flight Surgeon Crash Johnson-For the Medical Work they did-at all hours.They are the Best-from MWSG-17.Anyway if any of you Marines-want to write me-allnwldr@hotmail.com-----It was my Honor
and Great Privilege-to serve you guys at MWSG-17---YOU ARE MY PEOPLE-AND MY FAMILY-HM3 Allan Wilder-Roger-Out

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-03-10, 04:58 AM
The Person I forgot was Kim-that worked at the EM-Club------Now you guys-Remember........Hm3 Wilder ............Roger Out.

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-14-10, 03:52 AM
The new Dental-Tech's name is Joe;Gary is the name of the Corpsman from Penn.I forgot HM2 DOC Tom.He really knew how to keep the Corpsman spirits up-even when "we"-felt bad about something that happened, All the time.A Marine that I remember well is-"Chief"-don't get him mad.I see that there are really not that many entries-to the MWSG-17's Listing here.There were so many people on the First Marine Airwing-MWSG-17-that I remember.I say God Bless All the Service Men and Women.I was in Washington D.C. for the start of Mormorial Day Weekend.It was great seeing "Rolling-Thunder".I saw alot of active duty people.I really felt close to all of them.Iv'e been out of the Service for 42 years-but I'll tell Ya-I miss that life.The body and mind never forgets- and I have the Greatest Respect-for the Marines,Corpsman,Army Medics-and Radiomen....So as the sun comes up-it's time to go-Write me-if you remember-Captain's Nite-at the EM-club,The Movie outside the EM-club;the bugs in the bread-at the chow hall.There are ofcause-things that happened-at MWSG-17,that are known only by the people tht were there.So all you Grunts out there, 0311's-God Bless You-and Watch your Backs.HM3 Doc Wilder............Roger Out.

miked23
06-14-10, 01:44 PM
Hey Doc, I responded earlier via private message, it's me - Rocketman. I also have great memories of '17. I was on the H&MS side, but lived only a couple of hootches away from you. I don't know if you remember them, but a couple of friends from the 'glassine envelope society' popped up here. Big Al (Bert Kinyon), Rau man - (Andy Anderson) and Do-Right man (Doug - don't remember his last name, but like Bert he was in disbursing). I also remember Dr. Merjavy, and a funny incident involving him and my pet fly in the mess hall.

I also remember when one of the corpsman hootches got hit in a rocket attack. And of course you would need to be deeply into the throes of Alzheimers not to remember when the bomb dump went off.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Blackcat
06-14-10, 09:41 PM
I remember Kim. I have pictures of her and her kid....... I'll have to go find them.

The Person I forgot was Kim-that worked at the EM-Club------Now you guys-Remember........Hm3 Wilder ............Roger Out.

Blackcat
06-14-10, 09:44 PM
That was probably Cpl J.L. Farmer........ LOL! I remember some of it well!

Hey, Blackcat, I think you were the Sgt. that dragged me around to all the drinking holes every night for about 4 months until the club was closed. That didn't stop us though. We went to the Army bomb dump a couple of times. There was another Marine that was with us from time to time. He was a Cpl. and I think his first name was Carl. Ring any bells?

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-29-10, 02:19 AM
Hello my MWSG-17 brothers-I did respond to Rocketman-It was great hearing-from him.Do any of you remember going to MAG-16?They had a beautiful-beach front.We went there-not often-to play water polo and have those little steaks-given to us by The Air-Force.They would come-to our Dispensary-for medical-treatment-they preferred us-instead of the Air force-Corpsman.Did they really have a "Dairy-Queen" on the Air-Force side?I did eat in their chow hall once.They had a three piece silver-ware serving-setup,equal to a fine restaurants.All "We"had were those trays with a coat hanger-holding the knife,fork,and spoon.These utensils were made for giants-not humans .Red Beach,and China Beach-always had-Marines-unlocked and loaded.Always ready to fire,locked in on their targets-We were in front of these targets,swimming.I think they were Boat-People-and probably Vietcong..........
No-Grannies Draws-with these Marines-They were Dead-Serious. Why would anyone want to swim at these places?
Do any of you Grunts-remember-MED-Packs-Going out to villages-with Dr.Merjavy or Dr. Crash Johnson -to treat Vietnamese-Medically .You guys had the weapons-all we had were those pee-shooters-45cals.Pretty useless.We had two 16's in our hutch,and an ak-47-the real thing- not them sks-weapons-that are being pushed as ak's today.Pretty exciting walking through a village.It was just like being on patrol-even had a point man.Cool-One day We were in a 6-by-Help me out here Green Monster-I don't know the truck terminology .The Vietnam nurse-interpreter-Mrs.TOY-saw some thing in the road-before -We-got off the truck to enter the Village .It was a mine.Marine Engineers showed up-We split back to MWSG-17.We were told later that it was a dud.Then why the next day,was this village blown away.Cally-eat your heart out.I don't remember if "WE" went on any more -Med Pacs-or Med Path's-after that.I have to get off this because-when I write excessively-and accidentally hit the return-everything disappears.So I'm going to exit now-just to be safe-Bye for now-Hm3 Wilder-Roger out.

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-29-10, 04:06 AM
Hello my MWSG-17 Brothers,It's probably Maggie's Draws-I don't remember what they call it on the firing -range.It's been awhile-I have the Mind and Reflexes-of an 0311-It's just in me.My body-may have aged a little-but my Spirit is no older than about twenty one years of age.My father -when he was 91 years of age-looked at me and said-"When Did I get Old"-He never felt old at any age.He lived to be 93 years old.He was in the Army in WW11. Do any of you remember the monsoons-Wow-I remember someone had a screen door from a hutch-and was standing on it-while a Marine drove this motor-cycle-pulling this screen door with a big strong rope.It was Screen Door-Water Skiing.At least when it rained we didn't get hit.That was a relief.I remember -Captains Night-Since all you guys had your weapons in your hutch-and could use them at anytime-It was decided to have a little Celebration at the EM-Club-called Captain's Night.This kept Marines from shooting each other a little less.I remember putting the beer can tabs on my finger-to see how many beers I drank.You Marines Were Always-Putting Beer on the table where the Corpsman sat.The beers kept piling up.Now I wasn't a big drinker compared to other Corpsman.My limit was 12 beers-My limit now is one 24 once-Coors-Beer,maybe once or twice a week.That's it.We had Bud-at the EM-Club.Bud doesn't taste the same today.I don't like it.I like Guinness-Beer-It's like a tonic-it will put lead in your pencil-Has iron-and is very good for pregnant woman.Not done in this county-but Ireland and England still do.How come there are not many people on this thread-or what ever they call it.I have a Question-Would You say That MWSG-17-was like being in the rear?or that all the fire fights-were outside the gate.I don't think it's like being in the rear.I treated plenty of people that shot each other.How about -this.One day I was on Duty with this guy -from Texas.HM2 Teddy Tucker-We didn't get along.I guess he-just didn't like people from New York.He was in My FMF-Marine Corpsman Training Class.I went to 1BN-28Mar-5Th-Marine Div-Teddy Tucker went to 2Bn-28Mar-5th Marine Div.When I got to MWSG-17-He was There also.SO-We were both in the Dispensary-waiting to do Patients-It's about 22: 20-All-of a sudden-WE hear Automatic Fire-right outside the Dispensary-Some bullets hit the tin-corrugated-roof area.Maybe even some shells entered the Dispensary-at a above the head level.Well-Teddy Tucker and me -We were behind some kind of desk.At the Dispensary- there were only 45cal pistols-but they were all chained up.Our legs were shaking like jello.I think after a while-some one took out this fool.Got his ass killed for nothing.Teddy Tucker and I were most relieved.Guess What?-Me and Teddy Tucker became the best of friends.He even tried to get me promoted.No-kidding-the Best Of Friends.I think he extended for 6-months.When I was Getting ready to leave on this Mount out-A new Corpsman Showed up-I knew him from the past.He Must have re-upped-His name is HM3 Jeffery Butler-a good guy .Do any of you remember him?-Well it's time to go again.I've been on Devil-Doc's-hanging out with Doc Greek.He's a Good Corpsman-that helps people > I don't know,-but I feel my welcome there is over.I wrote some letters-and there wasn't enough replies.This is Doc Greek's page-and I don't -probably belong there.This is where I belong-"Home"-At MWSG-17-where at the chow hall all you get is a camphor -rated -piece of Buffalo meat and a pink-malaria-pill. The white malaria pill turned out to be poison-don't you take it. Bye for now HM3 Wilder saying-That Pat Sajac-He was good on AFVN-What a Lucky Guy-His Wheel of Fortune-turned out pretty good.:flag::tank::tank:Get them mothers-Marines........................................... .........

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-29-10, 04:24 AM
Hello my MWSG-17 Brothers,It's probably Maggie's Draws-I don't remember what they call it on the firing -range.It's been awhile-I have the Mind and Reflexes-of an 0311-It's just in me.My body-may have aged a little-but my Spirit is no older than about twenty one years of age.My father -when he was 91 years of age-looked at me and said-"When Did I get Old"-He never felt old at any age.He lived to be 93 years old.He was in the Army in WW11. Do any of you remember the monsoons-Wow-I remember someone had a screen door from a hutch-and was standing on it-while a Marine drove this motor-cycle-pulling this screen door with a big strong rope.It was Screen Door-Water Skiing.At least when it rained we didn't hit.That was a relief.I remember -Captains Night-Since all you guys had your weapons in your hutch-and could use them at anytime-It was decided to have a little Celebration at the EM-Club-called Captain's Night.This kept Marines from shooting each other a little less.I remember putting the beer can tabs on my finger-to see how many beers I drank.You Marines Were Always-Putting Beer on the table where the Corpsman sat.The beers kept piling up.Now I wasn't a big drinker compared to other Corpsman.My limit was 12 beers-My limit now is one 24 once-Coors-Beer,maybe once or twice a week.That's it.We had Bud-at the EM-Club.Bud doesn't taste the same today.I don't like it.I like Guinness-Beer-It's like a tonic-it will put lead in your pencil-Has iron-and is very good for pregnant woman.Not done in this county-but Ireland and England still do.How come there are not many people on this thread-or what ever they call it.I have a Question-Would You say That MWSG-17-was like being in the rear?or that all the fire fights-were outside the gate.I don't think it's like being in the rear.I treated plenty of people that shot each other.How about -this.One day I was on Duty with this guy -from Texas.HM2 Teddy Tucker-We didn't get along.I guess he-just didn't like people from New York.He was in My FMF-Marine Corpsman Training Class.I went to 1BN-28Mar-5Th-Marine Div-Teddy Tucker went to 2Bn-28Mar-5th Marine Div.When I got to MWSG-17-He was There also.SO-We were both in the Dispensary-waiting to do Patients-It's about 22: 20-All-of a sudden-WE hear Automatic Fire-right outside the Dispensary-Some bullets hit the tin-corrugated-roof area.Maybe even some shells entered the Dispensary-at a above the head level.Well-Teddy Tucker and me -We were behind some kind of desk.At the Dispensary- there were only 45cal pistols-but they were all chained up.Our legs were shaking like jello.I think after a while-some one took out this fool.Got his ass killed for nothing.Teddy Tucker and I were most relieved.Guess What?-Me and Teddy Tucker became the best of friends.He even tried to get me promoted.No-kidding-the Best Of Friends.I think he extended for 6-months.When I was Getting ready to leave on this Mount out-A new Corpsman Showed up-I knew him from the past.He Must have re-upped-His name is HM3 Jeffery Butler-a good guy .Do any of you remember him?-Well it's time to go again.I've been on Devil-Doc's-hanging out with Doc Greek.He's a Good Corpsman-that helps people > I don't know,-but I feel my welcome there is over.I wrote some letters-and there wasn't enough replies.This is Doc Greek's page-and I don't -probably belong there.This is where I belong-"Home"-At MWSG-17-where at the chow hall all you get is a camphor -rated -piece of Buffalo meat and a pink-malaria-pill. The white malaria pill turned out to be poison-don't you take it. Bye for now HM3 Wilder saying-That Pat Sajac-He was good on AFVN-What a Lucky Guy-His Wheel of Fortune-turned out pretty good.:flag::tank::tank:Get them mothers-Marines........................................... .........

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-29-10, 05:15 PM
SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE----------Wilder-bye

HM3 Doc Wilder
06-29-10, 05:26 PM
Let me tell you -how proud I feel to be on Leatherneck .com-When I see the Marines here on Leatherneck.com-with all their ribbons and time they have put into the Corps-I know the Marines are the Best Fighting Force-in the Whole World.These Marines-have dedicated their lives to protect America-what greater Honor is there than to be a United States Marine?.....There is no-Greater Honor-Hm3-Roger-Out.

miked23
06-29-10, 06:05 PM
Andy Anderson clued me in to the Air Force chow hall when he & I were working at the Wing Post Office. Pretty soon the AF chow hall (fancy restaurant by our standards) started charging us - about 35 cents if I recall correctly, then quickly prevented Marines from eating there at all. Guess we either ate too much or some of us got rude (rude Marines? Perish the thought!).

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-03-10, 01:13 AM
Do-you remember-a Marine-named Broadhead-in MWSG-17-He really had a Big Head-One day he split his head wide open -I sutured him up-I think he asked for a bullet to bite on.I used to love to suture.

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-22-10, 11:37 PM
Rocket Man-Mike23-I sent out a friendship-request-Did you get it?-Hey are you Experienced?-I Am . Mr. Jimmy says-Semper Fi and forever goodnight........write me or call me....gotta talk........bye from the Bronx...........

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-23-10, 12:43 AM
Hey Doc, I responded earlier via private message, it's me - Rocketman. I also have great memories of '17. I was on the H&MS side, but lived only a couple of hootches away from you. I don't know if you remember them, but a couple of friends from the 'glassine envelope society' popped up here. Big Al (Bert Kinyon), Rau man - (Andy Anderson) and Do-Right man (Doug - don't remember his last name, but like Bert he was in disbursing). I also remember Dr. Merjavy, and a funny incident involving him and my pet fly in the mess hall.

I also remember when one of the corpsman hootches got hit in a rocket attack. And of course you would need to be deeply into the throes of Alzheimers not to remember when the bomb dump went off.

Regards,
Mike Dolan Hey Rocketman-I remember that night.The back of the f8-hutch right by my bed-got a little shrapnel-I still have a piece of it.Good thing I wasn't under my bed....I was in the Front of the f8 hutch-putting out my friend -HM3-Keith -who set himself on fire-when the rockets came in.Through him on the floor and made him roll.That was a close one.....After I left on the Mount out-When I was back in NY-I heard from HM3-Little Joe-that a hutch took a direct hit and every one in it was killed.I knew I should have extended-even with the Mono.I was needed and I wasn't there.This has bothered me -ever since.Sorry to say...Even to this day.........I got my own horrors and guilt to deal with.:usmc: Semper Fi:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
07-23-10, 01:22 AM
The Rec Hall behind F8-lost a side of it's building-and the urinal by there got destroyed-that was a great urinal.Also tunnels to the air strip were found,right after-No one knew about them.The things that go on-right under your nose-like the Vietnamese that worked on MWSG-17-that turned out to be Vietcong.How nice.......

DOC JONES
08-04-10, 02:17 PM
I was with MWSG-17 Medical Department, Aug. 1969 - August 1970. I was the X-Ray tech. Houch G-3

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-05-10, 09:43 AM
I've been hoping that a corpsman from MWSG-17-would respond......How you Doing?When you say X-ray tech-do you mean that little room-that had silver bromide-all over the walls;that took about two-seconds to develope a film-in hand processing.The outer area had a x-ray tube-with some kind of KV and Mas settings.Then I was there also.I forgot the name of the chief or first class that came before I went up to C-Battery.You must know-"little Joe,Teddy Tucker and the last corpsman I menchened that came to MWSG-17-before I left.Pretty good Triage-wasn't it?.Before I left I believe "WE"-received a unit -citation-medal-but it's not on my DD214.The day I got there -there were ten marines in body bags in the triage area.Some Marine cook with ten years in the Corps,got some Orange-Sunshine Acid-and blew away ten Marines.That was my first day at MWSG-17 Dispensory.One guy he killed was only there for one day.I'm sure you have many interesting stories.I was in hutch-F8,the other Medical Hutch.Was DR.Merjavy and DR.Crash Johnson-still there when You got there.?.Now I feel at home-now that a Corpsman from MWSG-17 has responded.I'm not home right now-I'm upstate NY.My cousin gave birth to a baby girl on the 14th of August 2010.So I'm hanging out with my family.Be Back home on monday-and will be able to better communicate from my lab-top.I have been using DocGreek's tread to talk to everyone.There's not too many people from our time-answering to MWSG-17's tread.Did they still do Med-Vac's into villiages when You were there?I have to go-now.Breakfest is on the table.Doc Jones,it's great to hear from you.MWSG-17's Despensory was always busy.Speak to you soon......There's no better feeling than taking care of Marines.Semper FI-Roger Out.:flag::banana::banana:

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-05-10, 01:48 PM
Hello Doc Jones and Rocketman,I have a little time so here I am again.Was that your mos-X-ray tech?.Working X-ray at MWSG-17-taught me something about Radiology.I once radiographed a Vietnamese child...

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-08-10, 10:19 AM
Hello Everyone,and "Good Morning"-Hello DocGreek,Rocketman,and HM1 Jones.Vietnam is a while back-Whatever was at MWSG-17 is gone now;therefore whatever happened there,stays there.....Nuclear Med Technologist-that's heavy-Good for you-I hear now it's very hard to obtain -the radio-isotopes for the exams.You gotta be real good in math-to be a Nuc Med Tech.Do-you inject ?Most probably yes....Watch that radiation count.I was going to ask if you did sick-call am,afternoon at MWSG-17?-Alot of work if you know what I mean.I once throw a pen at this Corpsman named Mccullip,Hit him right in the forehead-because I thought he was goofing off and not getting to sick-call fast enough.Bad idea-since he was a second degree black belt.Oh well,not to bright on my part-but he did get to work without killing me.Doc Jones-you probably knew HM2 Frailey,and HM2 Houey.I forgot that a bar was built -behind the Dispensory-A nice long bar-built by Marines.We had a large refrigerator-that HM2 Frailey-tried to clear some ice out of the freezer with a K-Bar.He punctured the freon-piping and almost got us all -poisoned one day.Very funny scene.Beer was kept there only.I think it was twenty cents a beer.You could only be there if you were not on duty at the Dispensory at night.If you were on duty at the Dispensory-at night;which meant you slept there.There was air-conditioning there.We got a color tv-and I saw the 'Moon Landing"on it.The t.v. came much later on -I don't know where it came from.I remember seeing-"The Wild,Wild West on it.I remember this now-The AK47-was stolen -all we had left at hutch f8-were the AK-47 bullets.One day the Hutch was searched by Marines -Locker search,and the 16's were taken.We couldn,t have weapons in our hutch.Marines had weapons because-they were always going out on patrol-or going to drop flairs-or something.They had weapons because there was always the threat that-the Air-Wing was going to be over-run.There wer tunnels found-to the Air-Strip,right behind the Rec-Hall.There was this fenced area that the grasses grew high.Never-mowed.The air-strip was not too far away-from our hutches.Damn-those jets were loud....After a while you got used to it.I once flunked a Marine Pilot-on his Flight Physical-Depth Perception Test.Not a good thing to do-But I was pretty much always by the book.This Officer-had a 20/40-visual on the test......I think a 20/10 was passing.He hated me-and went to MAG-11,where he was passed.I treated all Millitary staff the same.I didn't care about their rank.This is the reason why-A new Marine Captain came to be checked in at our Dispensory.He needed a shot -IM-So I gave it to-him-He fainted and fell on his chin and split it open-He needed about 16 5-O silk sutures.I wanted to do it-but I was told to split from the area.I treated him like an officer-instead of a regular Marine-and I was too slow to catch him.Never did that again-Ever.I treated everybody the same after that..........I was stupid there.Did some other stupid things also-but I'll tell you about that later on-If I'm still allowed on Leather-Neck site....Gotta go now-I'm invited to a barbeque at Donna's Brother's house....That's my cousin Gary's Feance'.His name is also Gary-and He was a Marine-Maybe I can get him to join Leather-Neck.Com.......It was my cousin's Gary's daughter that gave birth the other day.....Gotta go-I'm being Yelled at.......Semper Fi-My Brothers.....

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-10-10, 04:42 AM
Hello HM1 Doc Jones and Rocketman ,If that X-ray Department-had flouro-you would have been doing a lot of contrast-work.....So wasn't that good?-not doing that stuff I gotta ask you what kind of exams did you do?Did you have to work in other areas of the Dispensary also? We had a lab there-every Corpsman had to know how to do cbc's ,the differential.Urine analysis and microscopic.Had to know how to make a gram-stain slide-that shows the Clap.Was Mrs Toy still there-she had-good eyes-to see a mine in the road.Her Husband was some kind of officer in the Arvin.They probably were killed when the U.S. split from Nam...I learned how to suture from a Corpsman-named Vern-He sutured like a Swiss Clock Maker-He was the tour before I got there......He soon left-and I owe-whatever-suture skills I learned to him.I remember a Corpsman that got there before I left....He wasn't too tall-maybe 5 feet tall-and he was skinny and wore glasses.I don't know his name.....Getting very tired now-It's 05:37 in the Bronx-so I gotta go-I didn't sleep yet.....Take it easy Rocketman-Good night HM1 Jones

DOC JONES
08-12-10, 05:30 PM
Hellow Doc Wilder, <br />
<br />
I reported into MWSG-17 Medical as a HM-3 8404. I was not an X-Ray Tech. They didn't have an x-ray tech and asked if I new how to take X-rays. I said no but that i did know...

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-13-10, 12:25 AM
HELLO Doc Jones-How are you?-Thank you for answering my questions-I forgot the hematacrite-the other day-This is the most important-test-For all those reading-This test shows how much blood is left...

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-13-10, 12:42 AM
Oh-by the way HM1 Doc Jones-They have this soup in health-food stores-called Miso-It's Japanese-It takes radiation out of the body-you have to buy a GOOD BRAND-another thing it does is work as a natural-kelating-agent-that removes the plack from the arteries.The only bad thing about this miso-soup is that it is very high in salt content......ye again........

BVD
08-13-10, 04:50 AM
I was with E-Btry 1st LAAM Bn 1st Maw in 68-69

RadioTech
08-16-10, 05:17 AM
I was in H&MS-17 from Feb to July 1967 before I was transfered to MASS-2 on Comm Hill. While I was there, the Captain (I can't remember his name) had the idea of a special souvenir lighter to give the men when they left the outfit and asked me to see if I could find a source. I was able to contact Zippo and get the info on engraving a special logo design with the man's name and H&MS-17, 1st MAW. The logo was a cartoon eagle from the Marine emblem. He was running with a radio on his back, carrying the Globe & Anchor under one wing, and holding out a handset in "hand" of his other wing. It really looked cool. I kept my lighter for years, but lost it during one of my various transfers. Here are a couple of photos from my time in the outfit. I can't remember the names of the guys in the picture, can anyone help?

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2573&pictureid=11871

This picture was taken after the all-clear from the 1st rocket attack on the DaNang airstrip in Mar or April of '67. Most of the rockets overshot the strip and hit the village on the other side. A lot of damage and civilian casualties.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2573&pictureid=11872

This is me in the hutch writing another letter home.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2573&pictureid=11873

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-17-10, 12:53 AM
The guy-second from the left-He was still there-when I got To MWSG-17. He got a Unit Citation-Medal.He was some kind of-NCO -in the Dispensary .He might have got the ribbon for the triage-area-We Had behind the dispensory" I remember him-I don't think he was well liked. That Corpsman-reenlisted-and needed some boosting....Another guy looks familiar-but I don't remember -What he did there-.So you must remember "Vern" -he was a great suturer-Very Serous-from Pennsylvania -Corpsman-I don't see him in that picture.All I remember from the Corpsman Before me-was that they were SO-Eager-to leave-that they didn't give a Damn-about "US"-replacement Corpsman.One other thing I notice-Your Beds-Sucked.At F8-Each bed's mat trice was about 6 inches thick. Did You have weapons in your hutch.Was there a lot of friendly fire-shootings-when you were there? Did you see the 68 Tet offensive-when full jets of soldiers were being Blown up on the Flight Line.Did you ever see Viet Pow' s with hoods over their heads at MWSG-17.Did you know where they went?and what was done to em? That's it for now. Oh did you do sick call?Ever get Forced to work at First Med?-You Didn't have a Doctor Castle-there did you?When I first got there -After a while this Dr-Castle-had to be removed-because He refused to go-to get a Marine that got wounded or hurt.There was a ransom on his head by the Marines-that drop flairs.So He-left by-the skin of his teeth before-he would have been wasted. How's that?:flag::thumbup:I see you have-a rifle there-that's no M14-What is that-and once again-Were you allowed to keep weapons in your hutch? Anyone could come into your hutch and shoot you dead at any time.All the 45 cals -were locked up at the Dispensary-To this Day I'm a very light Sleeper-If I'm sleeping and you speak to me now-I'll answer in my sleep.They, the Marines, took our weapons away for some reason.There were many Friendly Fire-shootings-thus Captain's Night was Created....Did you have That?

RadioTech
08-17-10, 01:31 AM
I was one of the electronic radio techs. Yes, we kept our weapons handy, empty, with a full magazine ready. That is an M14.

On that night, before the attack I was feeling very homesick and depressed. A couple of my buddies took me to the gee-dunk for a couple of beers. My money was no good and there was always another beer waiting. They were determined to cheer me up.

By the time we left I was totally wasted. Just before they poured me into my rack, I noted in my diary, "This would be a lousy time for the gooks to hit!" I shouldn't have written that!! About an hour later......eeeeeeeeeeeee...."INCOMING!!"

It took me less than a minute to jump into the bunker with my boots, helmet and rifle.... totally stone cold sober!!!

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-17-10, 02:06 AM
I was one of the electronic radio techs. Yes, we kept our weapons handy, empty, with a full magazine ready. That is an M14.

On that night, before the attack I was feeling very homesick and depressed. A couple of my buddies took me to the gee-dunk for a couple of beers. My money was no good and there was always another beer waiting. They were determined to cheer me up.

By the time we left I was totally wasted. Just before they poured me into my rack, I noted in my diary, "This would be a lousy time for the gooks to hit!" I shouldn't have written that!! About an hour later......eeeeeeeeeeeee...."INCOMING!!"

It took me less than a minute to jump into the bunker with my boots, helmet and rifle.... totally stone cold sober!!!
That's a an M14?-It looks so small-I remember M14's -being longer and the stock being Wider ...To me that weapon looks like a 22 cal .......I'm not speaking of Marines on MWSG-17-OF course you had your weapons-Affirmative-Over......I'm talking Squid here-Did or Were You able to "Keep" weapons in your "Hutch"-Doc?-Over....................HMmmmmmmm.Did I tell you I've had a few Coors-Lites-You read WQhat I sail about Radioman-Your the Best-Doc-Do you know the Chief I'm speaking about..He was a Chief Navy Corpsman-He went to B-school for Lab Technology-He was always 80% proof-He was a mean-Mother-Trucker.He set up work at the dispensary -3&1/2 days On Work- 1/2 day off work-He was a bastard-Do you know whom I'm speaking of?.Did you give a lot of rabies-shots?-Did you ever go-to a Village-after it got attached?-Do you know the name-of the Battery-looking up-outside MWsG-17.I think it's C-batt.There are two-60's looking down-and the valley has lighting at night-pretty bright-I replaced a Corpsman there-Not a good place to-be-especially when it's being attacked. A week after I left-I heard it was over-run.......So I'm sure you had Fun there also-What you say-We go to the EM-Club-You Doc, Radioman,and me----Buy ya a few Buds-It's on me....Lets Have Joy that "WE"are still breathing-and still have a chance in this world .HUH RA-:flag:

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-18-10, 05:23 AM
The guy-second from the left-He was still there-when I got To MWSG-17. He got a Unit Citation-Medal.He was some kind of-NCO -in the Dispensary .He might have got the ribbon for the triage-area-We Had behind the dispensory" I remember him-I don't think he was well liked. That Corpsman-reenlisted-and needed some boosting....Another guy looks familiar-but I don't remember -What he did there-.So you must remember "Vern" -he was a great suturer-Very Serous-from Pennsylvania -Corpsman-I don't see him in that picture.All I remember from the Corpsman Before me-was that they were SO-Eager-to leave-that they didn't give a Damn-about "US"-replacement Corpsman.One other thing I notice-Your Beds-Sucked.At F8-Each bed's mat trice was about 6 inches thick. Did You have weapons in your hutch.Was there a lot of friendly fire-shootings-when you were there? Did you see the 68 Tet offensive-when full jets of soldiers were being Blown up on the Flight Line.Did you ever see Viet Pow' s with hoods over their heads at MWSG-17.Did you know where they went?and what was done to em? That's it for now. Oh did you do sick call?Ever get Forced to work at First Med?-You Didn't have a Doctor Castle-there did you?When I first got there -After a while this Dr-Castle-had to be removed-because He refused to go-to get a Marine that got wounded or hurt.There was a ransom on his head by the Marines-that drop flairs.So He-left by-the skin of his teeth before-he would have been wasted. How's that?see you have-a rifle there-that's no M14-What is that-and once again-Were you allowed to keep weapons in your hutch? Anyone could come into your hutch and shoot you dead at any time.All the 45 cals -were locked up at the Dispensary-To this Day I'm a very light Sleeper-If I'm sleeping and you speak to me now-I'll answer in my sleep.They, the Marines, took our weapons away for some reason.There were many Friendly Fire-shootings-thus Captain's Night was Created....Did you have That?
Yep-that's an M14-alright-sorry-it's only been 45 years since I've seen one.I'm use To -a darker color stock-than you showed-also I'm only used to seeing the M14-with the magazine loaded .Also-don't be offended that I called you a squid-The Octopus that is shown in HAMS-17-has many tentacles to do -"many jobs".So if I call you a Squid-I'm thinking of that octopus-and being from the US-Navy.I'm a Squid Also...Radioman-forgive me for playing radioman-I was a little wasted on beer.I don't do much beer-but enough to be a little drunk.How many Corpsman/? had breakdowns-when you were at-MWSG-17 when you were there?...These things just happen.When I was at Camp Pen-all Marines-had to go to 2nd-ITR-before going to Nam.I believe this is where the M16-was introduced to them-when 14's were still in use.Maybe all Corpsman should have gone through 2nd ITR-also -I could skip the grenade training.some Marines get to go to the Philippians-for Jungle Training-Slide for Life-I would have liked to have taken that course.Semper FI-my Brothers:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-18-10, 07:16 AM
Staff-Sargent-Radio Tech-You look very-familiar to me-When I asked-about weapons-in the hutch-I thought I was speaking-to the" Doc"-Same when I saw you bunk-bed .All Marines-had weapons-at MWSG-17.It's just that I felt safer there-when we(Corpsman)were able to have weapons also.

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-18-10, 08:10 AM
It is possible-that Corpsman-could not have-weapons in their-hutches-because-MWSG-17,had a high incidence-of mental-breakdowns-among Corpsman there.6 out of 18-corpsman having breakdowns-is 1/3 of the Corpsman Group-So that maybe the reason.There was always-Friendly Fire-Shootings there.I always after the taking of our M16s-slept with one eye open.No-wonder I didn't get any sleep there-and got my Mononucleosis-I just Worked,Partied,and Worked some more.

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-18-10, 09:41 AM
One thing that I remember-about Kim-from the EM-Club is that seeing her in pants-showed that she had a fallen womb.This was like the best thing about her.All I could ever do was Drool............Semper Fi my Brothers.

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-18-10, 10:36 AM
I was with E-Btry 1st LAAM Bn 1st Maw in 68-69
Hey BVD-don't feel-shut-out-I heard of your area-but don't -remember-it's location...............Give us more detail ............IS that the place with the rubber-underground-fuel tanks?-

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-18-10, 05:10 PM
Yep-that's an M14-alright-sorry-it's only been 45 years since I've seen one.I'm use To -a darker color stock-than you showed-also I'm only used to seeing the M14-with the magazine loaded .Also-don't be offended that I called you a squid-The Octopus that is shown in HAMS-17-has many tentacles to do -"many jobs".So if I call you a Squid-I'm thinking of that octopus-and being from the US-Navy.I'm a Squid Also...Radioman-forgive me for playing radioman-I was a little wasted on beer.I don't do much beer-but enough to be a little drunk.How many Corpsman/? had breakdowns-when you were at-MWSG-17 when you were there?...These things just happen.When I was at Camp Pen-all Marines-had to go to 2nd-ITR-before going to Nam.I believe this is where the M16-was introduced to them-when 14's were still in use.Maybe all Corpsman should have gone through 2nd ITR-also -I could skip the grenade training.some Marines get to go to the Philippians-for Jungle Training-Slide for Life-I would have liked to have taken that course.Semper FI-my Brothers:flag::thumbup:-Dear S/Sgt Radio-Tech-I see there isn't a Corpsman here-Those are your pictures of Corpsman.So I was out of line -with the radio-thing.Sorry-SEE the third Corpsman-He looks a little up-tight and ready for anything-that's anxiety-and it shows.The last guy on the right-looks like he was in that -Brad Pitt-movie-Inglorious Bastards-playing a German.So just you and I will go o the EM-Club-Have a few Beers-maybe a few more-It's on me.We can look at Kim's pretty face and both Drool.bye for now S/Sgt Radio Tech-keep writing...Semper Fi and God Bless.

DOC JONES
08-31-10, 09:59 AM
Hello Doc Wilder,

You were talking about Kim at the e-club. Is that the one who was a dental assistant also? I remember Mi who worked at the 4-5 club. She was the best looking of all the girls who worked the clubs. I had th take chest x-rays of all the bar girls, It was a tough job. I had no gowns for them so they had to walk around the x-ray area with out there tops on.

got to go for now

miked23
08-31-10, 12:53 PM
Hey Doc Wilder, sorry I have been so slow in responding. A while back you mentioned the Marine who got shot in the chest with a .45. As I recall that incident somebody was coming into the area and was asked by the guard to clear his weapon. The klutz (or was he possibly drunk? - nah... Marines never got drunk!) pointed his .45 at the guard (on purpose or not?) and shot the guard in the chest. The victim did kick the bucket as I recall. Never figured out whether it was an accident.

Another incident you might recall was when some marines were horsing around & one got run over by a 6X. The truck was backing up & didn't see him. Never heard whether he kicked the bucket or not, but expect he did as he was pretty well squished.

-Rocketman

miked23
08-31-10, 01:03 PM
Another thing I recall; the first night I was in '17 we got rocketed, and I ran out to the bunker. After a while I noticed there wasn't anyone else in the bunker, so I went back into the hootch and asked "Aren't you guys going into the bunker?", only to hear someone exclaim "Hell NO! - there's red ants out there!". I went back to the bunker, only to later exclaim "Oh my! so there are!" (or words to that effect, possibly including some expletives), and went back to bed. The bunker was reserved for true emergencies, the times we didn't mind the red ants.

miked23
08-31-10, 01:11 PM
One time I was on mess duty - which as you might surmise I didn't much care for. I was assigned to the scullery, washing dishes for the lifers. There was a popular thing written on the wall of many of the outhouses "Lifers are like flies - they eat sh_t and bother people".

My friend Larry Arnold came in and was talking to me, when one of the senior NCO's came in & started yelling at Larry about us working too slow. When he got done yelling I said (in a really mild & soothing way) "I don't want to spoil your entire rant, but the guy you just yelled at isn't even on mess duty". The NCO then says "WHAT IS HE DOING HERE THEN? WE PUT UP DOORS TO KEEP THEM OUT!" I said "I don't know, it's a screen door, I think we use them to keep flies out. Whereupon Larry says "But it doesn't work, you come in and yell at us anyway."

rugerky
09-01-10, 09:43 PM
Hello Doc Wilder,

You were talking about Kim at the e-club. Is that the one who was a dental assistant also? I remember Mi who worked at the 4-5 club. She was the best looking of all the girls who worked the clubs. I had th take chest x-rays of all the bar girls, It was a tough job. I had no gowns for them so they had to walk around the x-ray area with out there tops on.

got to go for now
Lucky you.

rugerky
09-01-10, 10:12 PM
:iwo: I was in the Util. Div. there. We did all the maint. of the place I was mostly in the Carpenter Shop. I was there Sept. 68 to Oct. 69. I did guard duty too of the flightline and other places. I was a MP for the 3rd Military Police Battalion and the brig. My mos was 1371 Combat Eng. I think I was in hut F11 that what I have a photo of. It was over 40 years ago. I have a few photo of the place the bomb dump going off. Sorry to say I have photo of the guys I worked and drink with but I don't really remember ther names. I have some of the girls I knew too they have names on the back. I had a ruff thime there but no red ants ha ha, a good time too I was young 20 years old. We really had a good Div. to work for too because I think we could get just about anything we wanted. Went to Dog Patch a lot of times. If any body on here that know anything about the Util. Div. hit me back here or my e-mail is rugerky@live.com.
Semper Fi.... :flag:

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-01-10, 10:45 PM
.................................................. Hey Rocketman How You Do'in?..............................Good to hear from you-The Incident I'm speaking of was when a Sargent was returning from...

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-01-10, 11:29 PM
Lucky you.-------------------Hello SGT. Rugerky-It was Mi-that worked at the dental clinic and worked at the EM-Club.Kim was better looking than MI-and a nicer person.MI- always had an angle -Joe the new Dental-Tech-did not like MI-if I remember right.Kim was really cute and everyone loved her-plutonically of course;no-one could get that close.She was like a Mascot.I never got into the 4-5 Club-probably because I was an E-4.Don't even know where it is located on MWSG-17.Nice talking to you SGT RugekyBy the way,since you were an MP-Where was the tower located.Marines that were up there-were always fighting off rabid bats.Sometimes-they did get saliva or scratched or bitten from the bats.Dog Patch may have been easy for some to go to-but for most Marines and Corpsman it was off limits.One time I remember there were Marines-repelling from choppers in Dog Patch-there were people that were AWOL-Living There.These Marines - repelling were on a search mission for those deserted soldiers.Cant blame the Marines-There was Army living in Dog Patch also.This was a big sweep-planed and executed-by Marines.Do you recall this?Anyway Gotta go now.....Semper FI:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 01:01 AM
Hello Doc Wilder,

got to go for now......Hello HM1 Doc Jones-I think I answered-the MI-Kim-EM-Club-reference in a recent post.When WE-had to take an X-Ray on a Hutch-Mouse-or EM-Club Female-We used to give them a sheet-from the area
where there were hospital -beds in the Dispensary-to wrap themselves up with.Maybe there were no-more sheets-when you were there.I remember that there were sandwiches and hard boiled eggs-if you were on Dispensary night duty.The sandwiches were awful-but the yokes of the hard boiled eggs were good.Did they still have that color T.V.there?-only got one station-AFVN.I think we used to listen to Hanoi Hanna-on the radio.How about that Corpsman-Jeffery Butler-he had to be there when you were there-unless he got sent to somewhere else.We were at Portsmith Naval Hospital-together-He came to MWSG-17-just as I was being sent to C-Battery.Had a short time to say Hello and Goodbye to him .He had to reenlist -He was too short in Navy Time-to Be at MWSG-17.I only had about 6 months-left in the Navy-by then-That's why I wanted to extend at MWSG-17.I didn't know I would get such a bad case of Mononucleosis.Had a little Encephalitis also-They wanted to shoot me up with steroids,and put me on an IV-if I refused to get food into my stomach.I was weighing about 148 pounds-at this point.I was told after -that by my physician-that about 5 or 6 people die a year from this type of Mono.No-Fun-took me over 3o years to heal my liver.The VA-only understands-Serosis of the liver-not Liver Diseases of the liver.To bad -they sucked at that time.I should have gotten 40 % for that Mono,not ten percent.They didn't do Sh*t for me.Idiots and Morons in Medicine at that time in the VA.Alcoholism is all they knew about the liver-and all they wanted to treat.That's why I Keep up with Medicine-The life you save as a Corpsman-might be your own.Me No Have Hard Feelings-To Much..........HM1 Jones-great hearing from you-Watch out for that-Radioactive-Waste in Nuclear Medicine.Best Wishes always-God Bless and be Safe............:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 01:29 AM
Dear SGT Rugerky-just noticed your 1371 Mos-I have the greatest respect for Combat Engineers-my good Buddy Ciccone was a combat engineer in Vietnam.You guys make things-Blow-Up real Good.Very Nice-speaking to you-I wish my friend Ciccone-was here on Leatherneck-I lost track of him.Good guy- Great Marine-Don't know where he's at-I miss him.........Semper Fi

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 02:01 AM
Hello Doc Wilder,

got to go for now......Hello HM1 Doc Jones-I think I answered-the MI-Kim-EM-Club-reference in a recent post.When WE-had to take an X-Ray on a Hutch-Mouse-or EM-Club Female-We used to give them a sheet-from the area
where there were hospital -beds in the Dispensary-to wrap themselves up with.Maybe there were no-more sheets-when you were there.I remember that there were sandwiches and hard boiled eggs-if you were on Dispensary night duty.The sandwiches were awful-but the yokes of the hard boiled eggs were good.Did they still have that color T.V.there?-only got one station-AFVN.I think we used to listen to Hanoi Hanna-on the radio.How about that Corpsman-Jeffery Butler-he had to be there when you were there-unless he got sent to somewhere else.We were at Portsmith Naval Hospital-together-He came to MWSG-17-just as I was being sent to C-Battery.Had a short time to say Hello and Goodbye to him .He had to reenlist -He was too short in Navy Time-to Be at MWSG-17.I only had about 6 months-left in the Navy-by then-That's why I wanted to extend at MWSG-17.I didn't know I would get such a bad case of Mononucleosis.Had a little Encephalitis also-They wanted to shoot me up with steroids,and put me on an IV-if I refused to get food into my stomach.I was weighing about 148 pounds-at this point.I was told after -that by my physician-that about 5 or 6 people die a year from this type of Mono.No-Fun-took me over 3o years to heal my liver.The VA-only understands-Serosis of the liver-not Liver Diseases of the liver.To bad -they sucked at that time.I should have gotten 40 % for that Mono,not ten percent.They didn't do Sh*t for me.Idiots and Morons in Medicine at that time in the VA.Alcoholism is all they knew about the liver-and all they wanted to treat.That's why I Keep up with Medicine-The life you save as a Corpsman-might be your own.Me No Have Hard Feelings-To Much..........HM1 Jones-great hearing from you-Watch out for that-Radioactive-Waste in Nuclear Medicine.Best Wishes always-God Bless and be Safe............:flag::thumbup:

miked23
09-02-10, 03:19 AM
Doc Wilder,

You are a great guesser, software is exactly what I spent most of my time doing. I also invented some cool things, and one of them paid off really well. That's why I could retire at the ripe old age of 49. Of course I am a bit older than that now, but have been a committed goof-off for a long time now.

You have an amazing memory.

We did have 'milk', but it was what was called 'filled milk'. That meant that they took out the butterfat and replaced it with coconut milk. Supposed to be good for you, but nobody in their right mind would choose to buy that if it was offered at the store.

Regards,
Rocketman

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 05:07 AM
Doc Wilder,

You are a great guesser, software is exactly what I spent most of my time doing. I also invented some cool things, and one of them paid off really well. That's why I could retire at the ripe old age of 49. Of course I am a bit older than that now, but have been a committed goof-off for a long time now.

You have an amazing memory.

We did have 'milk', but it was what was called 'filled milk'. That meant that they took out the butterfat and replaced it with coconut milk. Supposed to be good for you, but nobody in their right mind would choose to buy that if it was offered at the store.

Regards,
Rocketman.........................Rocketman-I'M STILL UP-0508-Well I knew you would do something good with your life.You were just to smart for your own good-to be with those Data-Entry Marines-that thought they had it made;and they did.I was always a big milk drinker-but didn't like the milk at MWSG-17 for some reason.If there was chocolate milk -I guess I mixed it.Don't really remember-the milk-setup there.As for my memory-this brain-only remembers-Things from when I was in the service-I don't know why.Some things I should remember- I forget instantly-Strange life-Never thought I would be alive-"this far down the line"-Thanks Eagles-for that sentence.So I'm very grateful to still be here;but never knew what I wanted to do with this life.Music has always been very important to me-but I could never play more than a few chords on a guitar.I have instruments-wish I could play them .I love the electric bass but can only follow-Soul Music on it.Got a Roland Synthesizer-I make Gothic music-holding down one key at a time.My brother who is a musician-gave me-a electric bootleg Strat-which I love;but play poorly.I wish I could trade my knowledge of medicine-for the ability to play guitar.I have a nice-Ibenize-Bass.I never find any time to practice-The Bass I love the best.I love those Blues Bass Riffs-and the Reggae-Bass Lines.So I better stick to medicine-It's easier for me.I would like to spin tunes on the radio-I certainly have acquired-so much music-that I can barely move through my apartment.Retired at 49-thats pretty good-I didn't think I would live to retire.Being an x-ray tech is kinda like beng on a forced march.Now I see it's 0601-on the clock-so I think -I better get some-shut eye-before the sun comes up.Semper FI-Rocketman-God Bless Everyone on Leatherneck...:flag::thumbup:

miked23
09-02-10, 12:58 PM
Hey Doc Wilder,

As far as musical instruments, the only one I ever learned to play was the record player.

In thinking back, I do remember the incident you wrote about earlier, where someone was shot through the captain's door. I had forgotten completely about that.

Some of your remarks to Doc Jones reminded me of something funny that happened the last time I was near your neck of the woods. In '99 one of my daughters and I were on an extended road trip (7 weeks). Sometime when we were in D.C. I got a bladder infection. Went to the Doc in a box, who gave me something for it and warned me it would turn my urine a bright neon color, but not to worry about it. Later I stopped at one of those gas station/fast food places in the middle of the freeway. The urinal was like a horse trough, running all along the wall. There was a guy 'downstream' from me. I waited until he saw the bright neon color running towards him, and when he looked up I said "I can't help, it's been that color ever since I took that job at the nuclear power plant". He left in a hurry.

miked23
09-02-10, 01:04 PM
One night my friend Andy (Rauman) took me to your hootch. I don't remember if it was your rack or not, but Andy put headphones on me & started playing the Beatles song "Number 9". It was the first time I had ever heard that album, and I was stoned at the time. The whole album really blew my mind, especially "Rocky Raccoon". Was that your tape machine?

You might remember Andy - Blond guy with a long mustache. That's how he got the name Rauman - Rau is Vietnamese for mustache. He and I spent some time working together in the wing post office. He was in ordinance and I was Avionics. If I remember correctly, he is the guy who introduced us.

miked23
09-02-10, 01:10 PM
At one point I was given mess duty, which we all hated, and I was determined to get kicked off of it. (didn't work). My first antic was when I was assigned to the chow line on the lifer side. As you may recall, I have a finger that was cut off as a child. One of my friends got a fake finger that looked like it was chopped off. I think he got it in Bangkok. Anyway, we were serving noodles with "beef gravy" on it, so I stuck the fake finger into someones noodles, and waited until they hit it with their fork. When I saw them react, I started jumping around with ketchup on my hand & the poor victim actually retched. That got me kicked off the chow line, but not off mess duty.

miked23
09-02-10, 01:15 PM
My next antic was to catch one of those iridescent big green flies that were always around the out-houses. I carefully tied a thread around it's neck & onto one of my shirt buttons. He was my "pet fly". At that point I was busing dishes on the lifer side. A gunnery sgt. swatted my fly, & I raised a bug ruckus about him killing "Freddie". Dr. Merjavy was close by at the time, and he looked at me very seriously and said "If you are really bothered by that, perhaps you should come see me at sick bay". I didn't have the heart to tell him it was simply an antic to try & get off mess duty. That episode got me moved to the scullery though.

miked23
09-02-10, 01:20 PM
Does anyone remember the excitement trying to clear V.C. out of the textile mill off the south end of the runway? This was after "mini Tet" in Feb. '69.

How about being on "Reactionary platoon" when the rockets came in? Jumping out of bed & getting dressed, grabbing your rifle & assembling as fast as possible? Usually the V.C. had an impeccable sense of timing and would inevitably do this on the nights when we were especially tired - or stoned - or drunk.

lastcigar
09-02-10, 01:44 PM
I was in H&MS 11. Got to DaNang in Jan of 1969 and stayed till Jan. 70. I was assigned to VMA-225 out of Millington but was transfer to H&MS 14 very shortly after getting to Cherry Point. I was transferred back to 225 to make the trip to Nam and was immediately transferred to H&MS 11 when we got to DaNang.
I can't remember where H&MS 17 were located. Both living area or flight line. I was in Avionics. I was on the reactionary platoon a good 7 to 8 months.

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 09:12 PM
Hey Doc Wilder,

As far as musical instruments, the only one I ever learned to play was the record player.

In thinking back, I do remember the incident you wrote about earlier, where someone was shot through the captain's door. I had forgotten completely about that.

Some of your remarks to Doc Jones reminded me of something funny that happened the last time I was near your neck of the woods. In '99 one of my daughters and I were on an extended road trip (7 weeks). Sometime when we were in D.C. I got a bladder infection. Went to the Doc in a box, who gave me something for it and warned me it would turn my urine a bright neon color, but not to worry about it. Later I stopped at one of those gas station/fast food places in the middle of the freeway. The urinal was like a horse trough, running all along the wall. There was a guy 'downstream' from me. I waited until he saw the bright neon color running towards him, and when he looked up I said "I can't help, it's been that color ever since I took that job at the nuclear power plant". He left in a hurry............................................. ......................................That's a great story Rocketman-I love it.I wonder what that guy-from the bathroom told people.Good thing it wasn't tincture of violet-Rocketman-I don't remember you missing a finger.I do remember that you had a great sense-of humor and I always thought you were Kool;A little extra-cerebral-very smart.Let me get to the next thread:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 10:20 PM
One night my friend Andy (Rauman) took me to your hootch. I don't remember if it was your rack or not, but Andy put headphones on me & started playing the Beatles song "Number 9". It was the first time I had ever heard that album, and I was stoned at the time. The whole album really blew my mind, especially "Rocky Raccoon". Was that your tape machine?

You might remember Andy - Blond guy with a long mustache. That's how he got the name Rauman - Rau is Vietnamese for mustache. He and I spent some time working together in the wing post office. He was in ordinance and I was Avionics. If I remember correctly, he is the guy who introduced us................................................ ..........I don't remember Andy-wish I did.That was my Sony 355 Deck-but that was HM3 Crowell's area.He had a Sharp-Radio Amp-that I plugged the Sony 355 into.That was in the front-right of the F8-hutch.My area was back by the rear-screen-door-right side.Outside the wall by my bed was the bunker,so I felt safe on that side.I used to get under-my rack-when rockets-came in.There was a big chest-locker under my bed.I used to get behind this locker-and have protection-between the locker and the bunker.If a rocket hit-I would be dust;but that was part of the fun.You were in Avionics ,always thought you were with those "Data Entry Guys" in your hutch.They had some ego-and actually worked on computers-but I didn't know what a computer was then.HM3-Crowell-had many records-sent from home.There was Buffalo-Springfield-The White Beatles album-Peter Paul &Mary-"The Great Mendella"Album-Johnny Rivers Album-Janis Joplin,Flo&Eddie,-many albums.I packed up his gear-when he was Medi-Vaced.He was my best friend in Nam.I called him when I was stateside back-home.He spoke to me but wasn't to friendly.He told me he got married and wanted to be a Nurse-Anesthetist. I never called him again and he never called me.God Bless him.Those were Koss Headphones-so the music sounded good.Someone in your hutch-Had the Jeff Beck-Rod Stewart-album-Ain't Superstitious-and it blew me away.You know Corpsman had to be on the Alert-for Anything-If "you Cant Function"-"the Marines Will Kill You".So I drank as you know-didn't like feeling paralyzed-paranoid.Now that I'm free-I'm open to new things.Pass The Hi-U-Waza-medicine man.On to the next tread.:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 11:14 PM
Does anyone remember the excitement trying to clear V.C. out of the textile mill off the south end of the runway? This was after "mini Tet" in Feb. '69.

How about being on "Reactionary platoon" when the rockets came in? Jumping out of bed & getting dressed, grabbing your rifle & assembling as fast as possible? Usually the V.C. had an impeccable sense of timing and would inevitably do this on the nights when we were especially tired - or stoned - or drunk............................................. ....................Hm3 Crowell was on Reactionary Platoon-I was on Contingency Platoon-When I was on duty at the Dispensary-I had a Secondary fill in fo me.Don't really remember-that incident-with the VC.I do remember-some Vietnamese workers-on MWSG-17-eating the food out of the Mess-Halls-Garbage Cans.Then-(Surprise-Surprise)some of these workers turned out to be VC.Tunnels being dug-leading to the Airstrip-behind the Rec-Hall-in the tall grasses-was found.That guy that invented the Thumb-Drive-He should get the Noble Prize-what an achievement.I'm not "nosy"-Did you invent a game-for Microsoft?Do you know Bill Gates,Steve Jobs, from Apple?.I took a computer programming course-at Lehman College in the Bronx.It was Called-PL1-kicked my ass-I got a "D"-and I was one of the best students-in the beginning.I think I have a very short attention span.The only thing that holds my interest-is Medicine-for some reason.Martial-Arts-eh-I got fat-about 55 pounds overweight.I'm 5ft 8in-and weigh about 233 pounds.Big difference from Nam.I can move around very well and still am fast.Bing an X-ray tech was kind of like -being in an Anaerobic(no-air)Exercise-class for 25&1/2 years.So the ticker is still good.Being retired for almost 8 years has taken a toll.I'm lazy-good thing they are building a Planet Fitness Gym here.I'll save my life by joining.People that work live longer-than people that don't.Have I answered everything? Hmm-don't know?I see it's 12:03-am now.Think I'll have dinner now.No really hungry-must be the heat....Think I'll take off now-and force some of this food-down my gullet.Where is that stuff that makes you hungry-now.New York's got nothing-unless you have 6 or 7 hundred dollars-to throw away.Tinnitus-prevents expanding the mind for me-at this time.So it's one or two of Coors Lite-240z-for Me-Told you my Tinnitus was bad.Makes me nuts sometime;.What a gift-Semper FI my Brother:usmc::idea::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-02-10, 11:42 PM
I was in H&MS 11. Got to DaNang in Jan of 1969 and stayed till Jan. 70. I was assigned to VMA-225 out of Millington but was transfer to H&MS 14 very shortly after getting to Cherry Point. I was transferred back to 225 to make the trip to Nam and was immediately transferred to H&MS 11 when we got to DaNang.
I can't remember where H&MS 17 were located. Both living area or flight line. I was in Avionics. I was on the reactionary platoon a good 7 to 8 months.
Hello SGT lastcigar-MWSG-17-was right over the fence-We were Neighbors.I had a Corpsman friend at Mag11-HM3 George Wilson-We were in Corpsman school together-Didn't see much of him in Nam-but we were good friends.I would really-like to find the Where-Abouts-of my friend Ronald L.Beaver-CPL.He was stationed on the First Marine AirWing-by these big rubber underground-fuel tanks.Don't remember the name of the area.When I was released from Long Beach Naval Hospital-I spent a week with-him and his wife Cathy.They invited to stay at their house-Had a great time there-Wonderful People-I miss them also....Gotta go now neighbor-I think MAG 11 was nicer than MWSG-17-area.Had to stay away from MAG11-that's where they pushed you into being a Medi-Vac Chopper Corpsman-like DocGreek-God Bless Him.So I kinda stayed out of there.Time to chow down on some cold-Chinese food.SGT LastCigar-nice visiting you at Mag11-Semper FI neighbor Brother:usmc::thumbup:

miked23
09-03-10, 11:04 AM
Doc Wilder,

It was your tape machine then, because I remember 2 things distinctly: 1. It was by the back door, 2. The headphones were Koss, in fact I was so impressed by them that I bought a pair when I got home. Used them for years & really liked them.

After retirement I put on a lot of weight, then in 2008 I lost 80 lbs. don't know where it went, I wasn't trying, the pounds just fell away. Now I am pretty average for a 61 y/o 6'1" 213 lbs.

My little sister became an X-ray tech about 25 years ago, then segued into ultrasound & really likes it. Her hubby is also a tech & teaches classes on it.

As far as the V.C., I knew there were some working on the base, and heard about them eating the garbage. Guess by their standards we threw out a lot of good food. Well what would you expect of teen-agers?

Bert Kinyon (Noynic), was one of my friends who worked in disbursing and he said that it turned out the VC had a hospital under our runway. If so, the V.C. were really ingenious, who would ever think to look there? Besides we weren't likely to bomb it arbitrarily.

miked23
09-03-10, 11:11 AM
Doc Wilder,

As far as Bill Gates, I met him once before he hit the big-time. Thought he was a nerdy-twerp who would never get anywhere. I guess I might have mis-judged him a little bit.

As far as my most successful invention; back in '92 the internet was just catching on for most people, and so were cell phones. I invented a technology that allowed you to connect a modem to your cell phone & send data at high speeds. You could then take your laptop computer & send email etc. wherever you went. Got a 2 page write-up in Forbes magazine back in '95. Lot's of fun, now everybody is using some new version on the digital networks. If you would like I can email you a copy of the article.

miked23
09-03-10, 11:15 AM
I think the area near the rubber fuel bladders was called MABS-11. It would have been exciting to live near those fuel bladders if a rocket ever hit one. Campfire anyone?

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-03-10, 01:18 PM
---------Hey Rocketman-Still didn't sleep-I don't think I sleep well since I-retired.I think I just pass out-I don't remember dreaming at all-these days.I never had bad dreams-After I came back...

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-04-10, 12:18 AM
Doc Wilder,

As far as Bill Gates, I met him once before he hit the big-time. Thought he was a nerdy-twerp who would never get anywhere. I guess I might have mis-judged him a little bit.

As far as my most successful invention; back in '92 the internet was just catching on for most people, and so were cell phones. I invented a technology that allowed you to connect a modem to your cell phone & send data at high speeds. You could then take your laptop computer & send email etc. wherever you went. Got a 2 page write-up in Forbes magazine back in '95. Lot's of fun, now everybody is using some new version on the digital networks. If you would like I can email you a copy of the article.
.................................................R ocketman-I would -be honored to read your write up in Forbes magazine-It's allnwldr@hotmail.com-I think ultra-sound is better than x-ray-tech.An ultrasound tech has to identify-pathology-and know how to image it.Men don't usually become Ultrasound tech's.It's less hectic than x-ray.The patient is already on a stretcher -you may have to turn them-but you don't have to pick these patients up.Less damage to the back.Most x-ray workers-have bad backs-this happens after years of work.That body dynamics-bend your knees-lift with your legs-not with your back-is bull.Now if I could have gotten through-organic college chemistry-I could have been an MD.You seem to have done well-good for you.You should be proud-that you-have advanced-Software Development in this world.That's a great Contribution-you have made.Rocketman-I always said-you were a smart guy.I don't know any software-developers.I guess you have a degree in Electrical-Engineering also.Not bad.Thanks-for telling me the name of that under-ground-rubber fuel tank-area.A Marine-posted that he was from-the Laams-area-I forgot where that's located.When Radioman had those pictures-of him holding the M14-I thought there was another picture of him pointing his weapon-from his rack.The stock of this M14-was a light beige.I don't see that picture-there any more.OH-I have to make a public announcement here.I know all the Doc's here know this.Not sure if all the Marines know this-Here goes.......The Saliva of a Rabid-Animal-will Inoculate you with rabies-just as if you were bitten by a Rabid-Animal.Just wanted to let you guys know that-if you didn't know already.By the way-How do I scan pictures on to a page like Radioman did.I have a few from Nam-that I would like to submit.Any way Rocketman-I'm still beat.This body likes to party to much-that's the way it's always been.It just hates to go to sleep.Cant control that part of me very well;Wish I could.So I'm gonna make like a Shepard-and get the Flock-out of here.Be well everyone-HMMM-I wonder whose on coast to coast am-this morning.Lately the content has been poor......God Bless Everyone here-and all Military People in Harms Way.Oh I wanted to say this before I split.The only Good thing about Navy boot camp-is that they teach you to hate-Commies.It's programmed in .Like the Tally-Bon-the Commies want us Dead, that's all.This includes Red-China-that's buying up this Country-like it's cheap land.How could the US-let this happen?.What's wrong with this picture?Gotta go now........Chow:flag::thumbup:

DOC JONES
10-11-10, 05:46 PM
Hi Doc Wilder,

Did you know HM-2 Keith Vaughn or Hm-2 Jerry Tucker?

They rotated back to the sates in september 69.

I reported in around the 15 of Aug. 69. What day did you rotate back to the states.

Had Dr. Eckert arived yet?

Hav e a great day.

Doc Jones

DOC JONES
10-12-10, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Found a web site that has the monthly reports from all units in viet nam.

You might be able to refresh memories that are a little faded from forty years ago.

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/

Click on the Marines.

Find your unit from the list on the left side and pick the months you were their. Downloads a pdf file with the report for that month.

Enjoy.

HM3 Doc Wilder
10-13-10, 01:37 AM
Hi Doc Wilder,

Did you know HM-2 Keith Vaughn or Hm-2 Jerry Tucker?

They rotated back to the sates in september 69.

I reported in around the 15 of Aug. 69. What day did you rotate back to the states.

Had Dr. Eckert arived yet?

Hav e a great day.

Doc Jones

.................................................. .................Hey HM1 Doc Jones-I know both those guys very well.Keith Vaughn was once on fire-during a rocket attack;I remember I put him out.This was the rocket 122 attack that hit the back of F8-hutch and thr Rec-Hall.It's really Teddy Tucker-and He and I became very good friends if you read my earlier posts;But what about Jeffery Butler that I spoke about?.I once met Keith Vaughn at a La Memorial Day Parade.He invited me to his house to met his parents but I don't think I had 24 hour liberty-that day.Hm2 Keith Vaughn is a very good guy and good Corpsman.Very same With HM2 Teddy Tucker-These are great dudes and I miss them also.Good People that watched my back and I protected them also.Nice hearing from you Doc Jones-Be Well and be Safe----Bye from the Bronx,N.Y.

HM3 Doc Wilder
10-13-10, 01:56 AM
I left MWSG-17 about the 18th of July-to go up hill C-batt-for four and 1/2 days-I was advanced Mountout and also the Corpsman from there was unable to continue his duties up there;so guess who got sent up there?This hill was assulted for three days.Any way the Doctor you speak of -I don't know-I was gone before he appeared-Was he a Flight Sergeon like Dr. Crash Johnson?-So goes Vietnam-a while ago .I see there are now food tours -to North Vietnam.They make stuff with eels and other sea creatures-that most Americans would pass up.I would probably would try their gormet foods.....

DOC JONES
10-13-10, 10:36 AM
Hi Doc Wilder,

Dr. Eckert was the Flight Surgeon. He must have arived just after you left.

I think I have some pictures of some of the guys at home. If I can scan them into my computor I will post them.

I had thought of going to Da Nang to see how it has changes or if there is anything left of the compound. I have looked at the area on google earth and it looks like they tore down most of the buildings.

Did you look at the website I posted?

Have a great day

HM3 Doc Wilder
10-14-10, 02:49 AM
Hello HM1 Doc Jones-I did look at the war records-stuff.I don' see anything mentioned about the Dispensary or any Corpsman.A lot of stuff about Fires and Officers and Incoming.How come We-didn't get a shout-out.Petty busy most of the time there.I don't see any Corpsman's names-when it came to blowing up Ordinance -from the Bomb Dump Explosion.One time the Air-Force was going to send in Jets-to bomb us-when We were setting off the 2000 pound shells.They were going to kill us-That was hairy-good thing for our Radio Man-probably saved our lives.This is what I mean by Crazy Times at MWSG-17.By the way It had to be Veterans Day that I ran into Keith Vaughn-not Memorial Day.I was promised HM2 if I extended three months.HM2 Teddy Tucker tried to get me promoted anyway-But It wasn't in the cards.I forgot that Keith Vaughn was an HM2.We All were the best of Friends.Near Death experiences can do that.There were so-many things going on there.Classified and Declassified Info-All the Time-Most of the time on Alert-All of Us working Double time-most of the time.Some stuff never got into our records-kind of Secret -If you know what I mean.Always people coming and going-to and from MWSG-17.Only got about 2 hours of sleep a day there.So this body got a blood disease-because-I was really into it.Never -Ever felt that strong again-Ever.So that was Dr.Johnson's-Flight Surgeon replacement-How was he as a Physician?Probably good-like an Emergency Room Doctor.The Triage area had a lot of supplies.The Dispensary had a bunch of Auto-Claved -Surgical Trays.Different sizes for different emergencies.Th suture kits were small-but the surgical trays were large.At First Med-you really see Horror-first hand;just a blur to me now.Keith and Teddy know what I mean and HM3 Crowell also.I would like Keith and Teddy to be on this site.They could tell you stuff I have forgotten about.Also 95 Emergency Army Hospital-was some how connected to MWSG-17-Ask Teddy about that-they wanted to give him a purple heart there-Strange Politics-he refused it-of cause.Wish I could contact those guys-Great people to know.Very good Doc's.I'll never forget them.So HM1 Jones-just to be redundant-which I am-besides being obsessive-what about HM3 or Hm2-Jeffery Butler-he kind of looked like the mail man on Drew Carey show and or one of the homo-guys on Sarah Silverman's show.Dead Ringer -for that guy.I'm a little worried about him -if you don't know-whom I speak of.If you knew him I know he would have made you laugh a lot-and that's worth knowing him.He is so funny and it just comes naturally to him.That's about it HM1 Jones.I'm so glad to know you-I could have did another year there -if I didn't weaken-Yeah the Vietnamese probably tore MWSG-17 apart.Looked like a large bungalow colony-just waiting for renters......Bye for now-Have a beautiful safe week-At this point I miss the Navy also...I'll be 64 years old in January-still can duck and hit the deck perhaps a little slower now-but fast enough for terrorists and agents that hate the USA.:flag::thumbup::)

edsmittay
05-01-11, 04:25 PM
I was in H&MS-17 from Oct 68 till Dec 69 My name is Edward Smith

edsmittay
05-01-11, 04:28 PM
Hey Rocketman its Ed Smith from the glassine envelope society Whatssss up ?

miked23
05-01-11, 08:30 PM
Hey Smitty! Of course I remember the Glassine Envelope Society, and I remember you too, in fact I think I have a picture of you in the Avionics section of H&MS 17. I'll look for it as soon as I can (that computer is apart, because I am refinishing the top of my desk, but it'll be back together soon).

It's amazing you remember after all these years. I have connected with a couple of members of the Glassine Envelope Society via this very thread. 'Bert Kinyon (big guy from disbursing), 'Do Right Man' (another guy from disbursing) and last, but far from least - Rauman! (L/Cpl James K Anderson 2352626 of 5352 SW Custer Street, Portland Oregon 98219) Actually he goes by Andy now, and that address is his home address when we were in '17.

So tell me Smitty, what have you been up to all these years? Fill in the details, I am quite interested. By the way, my email is: mike@dolanclan.com

Really good to hear from you, you were a good friend and a funny guy.

Regards,
Rocketman

Noynik
05-02-11, 11:53 AM
Hey Rocketman its Ed Smith from the glassine envelope society Whatssss up ?

Ed, Are you the "Smitty" I worked with at the disbursing office??

I go by Bert now but back then I was "Al" (short for Albert).

William Hardy
05-04-11, 09:24 AM
I was there (1st MAW HQ - Communications Center) 1969-70. I downloaded several pictures. Some of my stuff has long since been lost and you had several that were great for me to have. I lived in the stone French barracks. The second bldg down from the E-Club by the water tower...directly behind the side of the mess hall. To get from there to the Comm Center, I walked down the street by the Chapel everyday. My flight was delayed due to the ammo dump being destroyed. By the time we got there, the reception center was a pile of lumber and there were some tables set up on a concrete slab. We couldn't stay there that night so they took us to Camp Ten-shaw (spelling?) a Sea-Bee base near Marble Mountain. We were attacked that night and there we were with no weapons. The next day I was taken to 1st MAW HQ and joined the MWHG-1, MWCS-1, Comm Center Platoon.

As a sad side note: In case you didn't know, DAVBLAY passed away. It was a bit strange to read his comments above.

edsmittay
05-04-11, 02:48 PM

You might remember Andy - Blond guy with a long mustache. That's how he got the name Rauman - Rau is Vietnamese for mustache. He and I spent some time working together in the wing post office. He was in ordinance and I was Avionics. If I remember correctly, he is the guy who introduced us. Hey Mike I had an Aikai real to real in my hooch and had that album on tape it seems to me that we listened that many times Ed Smith

edsmittay
05-04-11, 03:20 PM
Ed, Are you the "Smitty" I worked with at the disbursing office??

I go by Bert now but back then I was "Al" (short for Albert).
No I was in Avionics but I'm sure we crossed pathes

ratspa2t
05-08-11, 03:15 PM
hey mike. how's your pet fly? it's larry arnold. last time i saw you was in seatle. still alive and kickin cuz i quit being a drunk 20 years ago. live half hour north of detroit 3 sons, 8 grandkids, call me if ya want. 586 612 4336

ratspa2t
05-08-11, 03:29 PM
rocketman, it's larry arnold again. i don't know how these forum things work, i stumbled on it by accident, saw your picture. you haven't changed a bit. i remember rauman. you had a pet fly and i think he had a pet flashlight he dragged around on a string. i have lots of slide of you from danang that i took with the camera i bought from you Mamya sekor dtl 1000 i think. you went to japan to get your nikon. i have a picture of all your money laid out on a bed. you set it aside to by the new camera. Is the smitty in the forum the one who called himself mubby, shot himself in the foot in dog patch and was stuck in the brig when the bomb dump blew? i was so drunk for 20 years i aint sure of crap anymore. doesn't even seem like it was me over there i remember some things but a lot of it is just a blur.

Charles Weidman
05-08-11, 04:10 PM
I was TAD to VMGR-152 for about four months back in 1967 from MABS-12 Ordnance back in Iwaknui, Japan. Flew everynight on the flare ships. I was a Buck Sgt E-5 at that time. Went back to Iwakuni where I was promoted to SSGT. Made PFC first time back in 1955. Had a bunch of good times until my retirement back in Oct 1976 with 22 Years. Made a third trip to RVN in 1970 to Marble Mountain and HML-167 where I was the Ordnance NCOIC until we closed the place down, gave it to the Army who in turn gave it to the RVNs who in turn gave it to the NVA.

shaferf61
05-11-11, 02:12 PM
I was there with the reactionary platoon out at the textile factory near tet 69--- first it was the tunnels underneath, then we went thru the factory, during that time someone on the other side ? had...

shaferf61
05-11-11, 02:14 PM
it seemed I spent most of my time in that damn reactionary platoon.... I was in Group Supply from 20 sep 68- 8 oct 69------ and yes I remember the rockets and then we had to hustle on down to the...

shaferf61
05-11-11, 02:30 PM
I don't remember knowing anyone at ICECUB when I 'gophered' there from
Group Supply. I would waddle in about 10 in the morning, pick up requests for the
stuff we carried up at group after delivering anything I had brought down, and then waddled out..... everyone seemed pretty busy.....

Charles Weidman
05-11-11, 05:00 PM
I was just going thru some of my "stuff" andf found about 70 35mm slides I intend to have printed up soon. I know for sure some of them came from 1965 and my Chulai time. I also have some from when I was attached to VMGR-152 and ran the flare crew. I found a picture of the A-4 Sky Hawk that came in on a collapsed strut (landing gear) and ended up in H&MS-17's open bay hanger where it had spun around after contacting the support post when I was there. Can't remember if I had to help and de-arm the Sidewinders or not as my memory kind of runs together from all those times. Getting old is shakey at best as I was 28 my first tour in 1965, but adapted well. Probably one of the oldest Cpls in the Corps. LOL

vivian
05-15-11, 10:32 PM
HI all my name is vivian...I am come from florida...Happy to be a new member of the forum...
hope to meet more friends here

Birkenstock Outlet Online (http://birkenstockoutlet.blogdetik.com/2011/05/14/birkenstock-outlet-online/)Birkenstock Outlet Stores (http://blogtext.org/BirkenstockOutlet/article/506603.html)

kz1a
05-24-11, 11:35 AM
Hey Bill, <br />
Was in the Ordnance/Flare Crew in 1969. We mostlikely flew together. <br />
If you have photos, please post or send them. I have lost most of mine when my car was stolen, with its contents, a...

kz1a
05-24-11, 11:43 AM
That sure was Kim in the E-Club. She was the dental tech who checked my teeth prior to getting my flight crew status.

flashman
05-26-11, 01:11 PM
I was with H&MS 17 from January '67 through March of '68. I was real short during TET and *&^hole 1st Sgt made me go on reactionary platoon...Bomb dump and DOg patch burning quite a show...

Richard George E-4
flightline maintance Shops

vanmac
06-30-11, 09:03 PM
Photo courtesy of Charles Weidman.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3000&pictureid=15257
Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words! Thanks Charles.

miked23
06-30-11, 09:44 PM
Mac,

I remember Iggy, and a funny story about him being in the Philippines with some of the other guys from '17.

Involved a bar girl, and whether Iggy was a local or a Marine. I think Larry Arnold was involved.

Rocketman

Blackcat
07-01-11, 04:44 PM
I was there when that happened. The guy was a CO off one of the carriers. He ejected as soon as the plane hit the runway......

Photo courtesy of Charles Weidman.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3000&pictureid=15257

Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words! Thanks Charles.

vanmac
07-01-11, 07:51 PM
Here's the skinny on the A-7 crash.

<TABLE id=table304 width=970 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=106 bgColor=#ffffff>14 Sept 1968</TD><TD align=middle width=71 bgColor=#ffffff> </TD><TD align=middle width=80 bgColor=#ffffff>A‑7A</TD><TD align=middle width=78 bgColor=#ffffff>154344
NK 610</TD><TD align=middle width=77 bgColor=#ffffff>VA‑27
Da Nang AB, SVN</TD><TD align=middle width=161 bgColor=#ffffff>hit in starboard wing by AAA. Emergency landed at Da Nang, arrester cable broke and aircraft ran off runway</TD><TD align=middle width=187 bgColor=#ffffff>pilot ejected and rescued</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

namvet676869
10-30-11, 09:05 PM
Hey, I was with the reactionary platoon at that textile mill and it sounds like you stole my story. I did enter the factory with one other marine but I dont remember who. I did enter the tunnel toward the back of the building with several other marines and we were gassed by the mp company. I was also firing from building across from the concrete vents where the gooks were returning fire from. Now if you remember all of this then you must remember that I sliced my left elbow on a broken window pane. bled like a pig. The MP corpsman thought I took a round. then he laughed and tied a field dressing on me. Had I had the sense to report to sick bay I would have gotten a PH. I would have taken some sh-t for that. Any way my name is Joe Smith. I was a skinny wise ass from new york city but at least I had the balls to box in that Smoker we had. I'll try to post some pics if any of you guys are still around this forum or whatever you call it. Oh by the way , I was only 17 years old when I arrived in Nov 67. I turned 18 on the 27 of Dec. That might explain my *******ness at the time, But I absolutely loved it.........so much I served another 6 mos. and every day of it on the reactionary platoon. sempre fi

rchrdharris
11-05-11, 05:35 PM
I don't know much about any of your outfits, but if you were in any 53's anywhere over I Corps, I probably road with you.

namvet676869
12-02-11, 11:50 PM
Hey shafer go to the last page and read my story about the textile mill.

Topmag11
05-30-12, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=razorback76;425915]The group bomb dump was hit during an attack on july 15, 1967. As I recall, there were about 50 rounds fired that night, over a period of almost an hour, around 3am..We were ducking down in our bunkers laughing and joking, as most of the rounds passed over us to hit the air force side. It was the last round that hit the bomb dump. The explosion was pretty intense and it stopped all of the laughing and joking. Lots of concussion damage to our huts and locks of rocks rained down on our area but no one was hurt. The mess hall ceiling collapsed onto 1200 lbs. of chicken that was thawing out for that days noon meal. It all had yto be destroyed because of all the junk that fell on it. We ate B-ration chicken that day, boy were the troops ****ed. That was the day before my 20th birthday. semper fidelis, Jerry[/QUOTE

I was there that night also, our defense area was just down. From the newly built USO. Across the road was the bomb dump that went up. I remember when it went up, it looked like a small A bomb. I remover as the hot bomb shrapnel hit the mud and the sizzling as it hit. I know my head was plugged deep in the mud. This was my main stressor for my PTSD, I got research material for my claim, went through after that. I still have the flash backs, I have two pieces of the shrapnel so I will never forget that night. Semper Fi to all those that went through that night.

R Wayne Cook
MSgt USMCR
Cpl in 1967
MAG 11 Motor T

That was pucker factor 15 out of 10

Kaldya
05-31-12, 04:34 PM
Hello my name is Kaldya. My US History class at El Cajon Valley High School is doing a project to honor men who died in the Vietnam War. The project is called "Put A Face With A Name" and is sponsored by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in Washington D.C. Can you please help me with information or a photo of James Walter Jones? I know that he was in the H&MS-17, MWSG-17,1st MAW, III MAF units. Thank you so much for your time. If you have any questions you can contact my teachers. Mr. Wilkerson or Mrs. Bogart at (619)401-4843 or email Mrs. Bogart at dbogart@guhsd.net.

Sincerely,
Kaldya

vanmac
05-31-12, 05:06 PM
Kaldya,

This information might help jog some other minds about the incident. The picture project is a massive undertaking and I am glad to know that classes like yours are joining in the search -- we appreciate you very much. -vm

Captain Jones was an explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) officer serving with Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron-17. He was killed, along with CWO-4 W. L. Vick and SSgt J.R. Beck, in southern ICorps, when a 122mm rocket exploded in the tent they were giving a briefing in.

vanmac
06-03-12, 07:20 PM
More specifics on Capt. Jones from the "Welcome to the Gia Vuc Website":

30 AUG 68 At 0730 Capt Jones, CWO Vick, and Sgt Beck from the Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 17 Command responded to an urgent request from Special Forces to render safe and recover a 122mm rocket which had impacted within the Special Forces Camp at Ha Thanh, located 25km west of Quang Ngai in Southern I Corps. Capt Jones, CWO Vick, and Sgt Beck arrived at the Special Forces Camp via chopper at 1035. They walked uphill to S-3 Operations, entered operations shack, and were receiving verbal instructions on the location of the dud round, when at 1040 an incoming 122mm made a direct hit on the shack resulting in six KIA, five US, one Vietnamese and five WIA from this single round.

Kaldya
06-04-12, 04:36 PM
Thank You so much for the information. I greatly appreciate it. I was also wondering if you knew any personal information about Captain Jones, such as what High school he might have attended,a photo of him, any hobbies he had, or any family members names that i might be able to contact.

Thanks Again
Kaldya

drtalbert
03-18-13, 09:37 PM
I was at da nang 69-70 mwsg 17 wers 17 4th echelon motor transport. Anybody there then?

drtalbert
03-18-13, 09:54 PM
I was in mwsg 17 wers 17 motor transport.

clemons
03-26-13, 12:18 PM
wasn't in country but was with HMS 17 1st MAW in iwakune, japan 1971

gkmoz
03-26-13, 12:48 PM
I was at da nang 69-70 mwsg 17 wers 17 4th echelon motor transport. Anybody there then?

Did you know Joey Balzano or Jack Schaefer ?, they were there from 5-26-69 to 1-28-70 ?
They were from cleveland,Ohio

drtalbert
03-26-13, 12:59 PM
We just missed each other!

drtalbert
03-26-13, 01:03 PM
gkmo- I don't remember the names, but I am an old man now and that was 43 years ago. What was their MOS?

gkmoz
03-26-13, 01:09 PM
gkmo- I don't remember the names, but I am an old man now and that was 43 years ago. What was their MOS?

MT, 5 ton I think 3531 ?

gkmoz
03-26-13, 01:10 PM

MT, 5 ton I think 3531 ?

They went to MCBNC in the Mp Bn. for MT until Oct.70 when they got seperated to reserves.

beamer5928
08-26-13, 11:59 AM
I was a teletype operator in the 1st MAW communicaitons center from Aug 69 to May 69. Friends called me "Bummer" . . . what a name. Spent all my money in Dog Patch . . . always snuck out the main gate next to the highway where the workers came through into the compound everyday. Dog Patch was right across the street.
I stayed inside the comm center when the bomb dump was going off to keep it up and running. Guess I was too stupid back then to know what I was doing!
Semper Fi to all you guys.... and welcome home!
Anybody remember a guy by the name of Bruce Parten from Louisiana I think. He was a teletype operator too. We worked side by side.
Regards!
Ron Beaman
Ft. Worth, TX
817-***-****
ronb@dlteam.net

McIntosh
12-17-13, 12:56 PM
served with H&MS-17 dec66 sept67

HM3 Doc Wilder
12-17-13, 05:25 PM
InComing was always Fun.The Speaker System was always late.AAAAAAaaaaaaaa........There go the lights.........Get in your Bunkers.........a little late also......

HM3 Doc Wilder
12-17-13, 11:13 PM
After I left,a Hutch was hit -Everyone in it was killed....That's not Fun...I just remembered !

edsmittay
05-22-14, 05:29 PM
I was in HAMS17 from Oct 68 to Dec 69I was there when the bomb dump et off my name is Ed Smith

Kario
07-31-14, 07:17 PM
I am looking for anyone who served with my father, Dick Ebbert, in the 1st MAW in Vietnam. He was there in 1968-69, but I don't know exact dates. He was from Oregon and was newly married with a baby boy born in November 1968. Unfortunately, he died in 2008 of lung cancer and never really talked about his military experience, although he proudly remained a Marine in spirit to his dying day. I would love to find someone who remembers him and served with him. Thanks so much! You can email me directly at odriscoll@msn.com

William Hardy
07-31-14, 08:17 PM
Kario - can you give any more information. 1st MAW was a big organization. Do you know what squadron he was in? What was his job? You are talking 45 years ago and some of us need a little more info to jog our memory. I hope you can find some of those memories..good luck.

Kario
08-01-14, 06:38 PM
William, Thank you for responding so quickly. I have a few photos he took, but none of them is great. I know he flew helicopters and there is one photo that is of a tent with a red sign that says (I think) MASS 1 DSC. I have a bunch of other photos of camps and helicopters (one sequence of shots with a bunch of guys from his group getting into a helicopter and the chopper taking off, and then the sight of a white streak in the air behind the chopper and the next shot is of the chopper engulfed in black smoke. It's pretty dramatic, but I found the photos after he died, so we never talked about them. I'll keep sleuthing, but my mom has dementia and is really confused about the stories, especially since he didn't really talk about Vietnam much. Thanks for your response, anyway.

Schoonover
09-01-15, 07:22 PM
I'm doing this for my dad and I love the usmc! I hope I have the info right that he gave me. His name is Timothy William Schoonover. This is what he gave me. He was with h&ms17, wers17, mwsg17 at the denang airbase! I'm sure all that means something to yall. If you think you know my dad please contact me. He is in rough spot mentally and would love someone to talk to. Thanks