PDA

View Full Version : Sos Uss Laffey

oifvet23
12-15-08, 06:56 PM
SOS

SAVE OUR SHIP!!!

The only Sumner class tin can is sinking.

The USS LAFFEY DD-724 fought at Normandy, Iwo Jima, Philippines and took on 22 kamikazes in 80 minutes at Okinawa. She survived the Korean War and 25 more years of Cold War sailing. She has now sprung some very bad leaks and is need of dry dock service.

As you know the LAFFEY is based at Patriots Point Naval Museum in Charleston, SC. She has been there since 1981.

She is the last of her kind and is taking on water at the rate of 2000 gallons per hour. The pumps are handling it right now but we need your help. To pull her, dredge to get her out of her mooring, tow her up river to the dry dock and repair the bottom will cost in the area of 3 million dollars.

Patriots Point and the Laffey Association are looking for any donations we can get to save this important piece of naval history.

If every member gave just $5.00 it would help immensely. Any ammount you can afford will help save our ship.

Many of you have visited our ship and enjoyed the memories that she brought you. Please do what you can to help preserve this great ship so others can share the experiences that you had aboard your tin can.

Please make checks payable to: Patriots Point Development Authority make notation for SAVE THE LAFFEY on check and envelope..

Mail checks to:

Patriots Point Development Authority

40 Patriots Point Road

Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

Attn: C.F.O.

Thanks for your help.

Sonny Walker

President

USS LAFFEY ASSOCIATION

yellowwing
12-15-08, 07:01 PM
The Sea Shall Claim Its Prize. There is no way around it. $5 will save Her for a few years but Neptune will win in the end.

oifvet23
12-15-08, 07:12 PM
awesome yellow , way to be optimistic, :mad:

HurricaneRJ
12-15-08, 07:14 PM
Sometimes gotta accept the facts. I call it a lost cause.

yellowwing
12-15-08, 07:27 PM
Don't screw with Neptune Rex! He will hit when you are most vulnerable and hundreds will cry and mourn. Give him the USS Laffey when it is due.

oifvet23
12-15-08, 07:33 PM
what let it sink in the harbor just so they can raise it and scrap it, neptune wont be getting $hit, only the torches. It

yellowwing
12-15-08, 09:15 PM
I see what you mean. USS LAFFEY ASSOCIATION (http://www.laffey.org/), she earned the coveted Battle E to furl from her mast.

Launched in 1943 from the Bath Iron Works, she set sail to do battle, and battle did she see. Imperial Japan tried to sink her but The Laffey shrugged them off and kept fighting! She and her crew eventualy won a Presidential Unit Citation.

Now we fight Neptune to keep her keel among us to remember four years of Naval Hell and impossible Amphibious Landings.

USS LAFFEY ASSOCIATION (http://www.laffey.org/)

Petz
12-16-08, 01:48 AM
so, uh... why are they requesting money on this site when you guys aren't sponsering it?

I can make a website like that too, and ask for money to save my ship.

this reminds me of a situation that a young SSgt (Lance at the time) pulled off.

he went to every barracks room at all the barracks he could walk to asking for a dollar from every Marine... now you wouldn't expect someone to pay back a dollar, so he got himself 400 dollars for a few hours time and none of those Marines knew any better.

mgkusmc
12-16-08, 02:19 AM
so, uh... why are they requesting money on this site when you guys aren't sponsering it?

this reminds me of a situation that a young SSgt (Lance at the time) pulled off.

he went to every barracks room at all the barracks he could walk to asking for a dollar from every Marine... now you wouldn't expect someone to pay back a dollar, so he got himself 400 dollars for a few hours time and none of those Marines knew any better.

That is a brilliant idea....I kinda wished I still lived in the Barracks now so I could try that.

Gentlemen, I'm not saying you should give money to the Laffey but it is a good investment. I am big on historical preservation, if we can help in any way to save a piece of history even if it only means it lasts one more day we at least gave it life long enough for someone to see and learn from it. If we just say its a lost cause then we are forgetting our history. And if we give up on our history we certainly dont have a future.

oifvet23
12-17-08, 12:53 AM

it isnt a joke or a scam, go to the patriots point museum website, it a piece of history that should be kept alive, it needs our help ITS CALLED PASSING THE WORD, God damn you guys are paranoid,

mgkusmc
12-17-08, 01:20 AM
dont worry oif....I got your six

Petz
12-17-08, 02:27 AM
you should note I used this to pass the word on a funny and inventive story of mine.

chill-out guy.

oifvet23
12-19-08, 04:45 PM
hey, my bad Petzoid, maybe Im the paranoid one