(read a line first)

Then, close your eyes and REMEMBER

Before semi automatics and crack.

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo.

Way back...I'm talking about:

Hide and seek at dusk.

Red light, green light.

The corner store.

Hopscotch, butterscotch, doubledutch, Jacks, kickball, dodgeball.

Mother May I...

Red Rover and Roly Poly.

Hula Hoops.

Running through the sprinkler.

An ice cream cone on a warm summer night...

Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe butter pecan.

Wait: There's more to remember.

Watching Saturday Morning cartoons.

Short commercials.

Fat Albert, Road Runner, The Three Stooges,
and Bugs. (Don't forget Mighty Mouse!)

Or back further:

When around the corner seemed far away,

And going downtown seemed like going somewhere.

Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, Zorro.

Climbing trees, building igloos out of snow banks.

Running till you were out of breath.

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.

Jumping on the bed.

Pillow fights.

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down.

Being tired from playing...Remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

War was a card game.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

I'm not finished just yet:

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oil
checked, and gas pumped without asking, for free, every time
and, you didn't pay for air.

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.

When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up,
if you even had one.

It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school, if then.

When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed...and did!

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of
drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.

Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!

Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say,
"Yeah, I remember that!"

Remember when:

Decisions were made by going
"eeny-meeny-miney-mo."

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do over!"

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.

It was unbelievable that dodge ball wasn't an Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot.

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare."

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from "grown up" life.

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!
----------------------

I didn't write this, but I would have felt like a thief, if I hadn't passed it on.

CAS3
06-08-03, 07:28 AM
WOW, I can relate to some of those. I wish I were a kid again.
OH ALMOST FORGOT...I AM A KID!!
32 is still young enough to have fun on a daily basis.
Even with this rain we have been having.
I have gone out to run in it and jump in puddles.

MillRatUSMC
06-08-03, 09:19 AM
I live in the town were Jean Shepard grew up.
Who's Jean Shepard?
Might you ask...He wrote the book.
The movie "Christmas Story" was made from.
I could relate to most or all of the above...sledding in the snow in winter.
Riding the bike in the summer.
Fishing in Lake Michigan for perch by the bucket full.
Hunting in California with my oldest uncle.
Had my own .22 cal rifle.
Being a "rebel" because I was a non-conformist...because I had an aunt who work making trousers...most wore jeans a white t-shirt and steel toe boots, I on the other hand wore my trousers and a sport shirt and tennis shoes when I went to school.
But I did wear jeans and a t-shirt after school.
We play at sports because most didn't own a "TV"...football, baseball, track and basketball kept us in shape all year long.
Most or all the towns had a "main street" and going shopping meant walking down the "main street", now there's all these malls.
You spent a great deal of time walking around looking.
Born in the 40's schooled and enlisted in the 50's.
Was in the Marine Corps most of the 60's
Got married in the 70's when I was in my 30's.
Retired in the 90's
Those were the days my friend and we thought they would never end.
"I double dog dare you...to find a better time in life".

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Barrio_rat
06-09-03, 02:45 AM
I remember watching Batman on TV and then playing it out in the yard. Tonka Toys being big and metal. Had a semi-truck car carier with 3 Jeep pickups. We'd close off the street I lived on to sled down it in the winter. Across from my house was "the woods" and we'd all go out and play on the trails - it's all been devolped since. There was a small farm a few blocks from my house - took up the entire block as the city grew around it. They still had some cows and would slaughter them now and again. Didn't need to fence the dog in. Everyone knew whos dog was whos and would send 'em home, if need be. Sissy bars were cool LOL - so were banana seats! I liked bell bottoms (boot cut, even) cuz they made it easy to take off the "school pants" and put on the "play pants" without having to take off the shoes. LOL I even remember dad smoking in the grocery stores, throwing the butt on the floor and stamping it out. I also remember dad telling me (on more than one occasion) that if I was going to cry, he'd give me something to cry about - he ment it and would do it on the spot! I remember when being in scouts meant something good and we'd wear our uniforms for school pictures.

Phil
06-09-03, 08:21 PM
Those were the days, Dad was in the Navy and we lived in Norfolk Va. "The Woods" for us was around the corner and down the block. Those woods was where I started learning to be a man. I was 8 or 9 and there used to be a group of kids a few years older than us. They always picked on us, it wasn't nothing, just teasing for a few minutes, they'd get bored then take off.

One day they decided they were going to take my bike(yes Barrio-rat, it had a banana seat and those big handle bars) well I went home crying like a baby. Dad thought it was the easiest thing in the world, he said to me "Go get your damn bike!" Of course I thought of 5 hundred excuses that fit with "But Daddy". Dad had the final say with "Go get your damn bike or I'M gonna beat your a**!" That settled it, I was going to get my bike. There they were, at the creek that seperated the woods from the houses, with my bike. I was shaking like you would not belief. The only thing that made my feet keep moving was the sound of my Dad's voice echoing in my head "Go get your damn bike or I'M gonna beat your a**!", and the thought of being bent over his knee.

I finally got to the boys and said in the meanest voice I could muster "I want my bike back", however, I probally couldn't be heard over the chattering of my teeth! They heard me though, cause one of them pushed me to the ground. Just when I thought I was done, curled up waiting for a stomping, those boys dropped my bike and took off running like a bat out of hell. I layed there not sure what to do. After a few seconds( it seemed like an eternity at the time) I felt my Dad pick me up and start brushing me off. It's amazing that a kid knows a parent is picking them up even when they don't see them. All I remember him saying is "I see you got your bike back".

He used to take me to his shop onboard Damneck all the time. After that day all he did was brag about how "His Boy" went and got his bike back. The way he told the story you'd think I beat back the Japs at Wake Island single handedly! All I did was lay on the ground and wait for a pummeling. I guess I went down there and that's all he cared about.

Whenever we would walk around the different bases in the area he had favorite sayings when he saw Marines either "F****** Jarheads" or "Damn Marines" or something along those lines. I guess, however, I'll leave that story for another post! :marine:

ugly_angel362
06-09-03, 08:48 PM
I remember a lot of those things from my childhood. Especially going outside after dark and catching fire flies and just riding our bikes until our legs hurt. Even though I do not have kids of my own, I am still able to watch my nephews and neice grow up, when I am home anyway. Even though they are only 4 yrs,2yrs, and 8 months old they still play with the same toys. My oldest nephew loves Elmo and loves to ride his big wheel. When i watch him, i remeber watching my little brother ride his, which was only 12 years ago. My mom especially loves to remember all of us kids when we were frowing up because like any other military child, she didn't have a normal childhood growing up with a gunnery sgt in the marine corps. But you still can appreciate the simple things.

lurchenstein
06-10-03, 12:16 AM
All good memories! Thanks.

tommyboy
06-11-03, 12:08 PM
Whats sad is Im only 33 and alot of those things applied to me. It's amazing how much has changed in such a small amount of time. I work with kids and I feel bad for them nowadays.

richgitz
06-19-03, 09:46 AM
The GOOD OLD DAYS, when you could leave the house wide open
and go somewhere and nobody would take your belongings. Try
that today. I remember the last day of school, as soon as my
Father got home, he would take us out on the back porch, and
use his hair clippers and give us BALDIES. those weren't elect-
ric either, hand operated. the only time we wore shoes is when
we went to church or to see some relatives. We had alot of fun
though like firstsgtmike stated, those were the DAYS....

Sgt0811
06-19-03, 09:56 AM
I remember when the dimmer switch for the headlights was on the floor. My Dad used tosay "watch this" and he would snap his fingers and the headlights would get bright. It took me awhile before I found the switch. Kind of slow Hehehehehe
I remember all of the list.