PDA

View Full Version : Gift for a swabbie

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 11:23 AM
My father-in-law was in the Navy during the late 60's-early 70's. He was on the USS Koelsche, a Fast Frigate (you know, cannon fodder). Last year the wife and I hunted around for a new post flag because his colors were looking a bit crusty from the harsh weather in upstate New York.

This year I went out and got him an all-weather Navy service flag and the flags that represent the Koelsche's radio call sign.

First off, I don't know of any regulations for the display of nautical flags on solid ground so I don't know if him flying those flags on his 25 footer would be good to go.

Second off, which version of SOS should I serve on Christmas morning? I've got an old green blanket that was probably made of chicken wire and a poncho liner or two; I figure we could have our morning chow out in the field (102 acres of it) and freeze our azzes off.

Any help regarding flag regulations would be outstanding. As for me; I've wrangled up a little Christmas present for myself. A exterior mount and staff for a post flag for my own place; as well as another one for beloved scarlet and gold colors.

Let me get off track (or even more so). I remember in boot that a drill instructor asked me a candid question about the flag and whether or not I knew why the National Ensign was flown on the right side of the building when facing out. I didn't know about the national regulation at that point but what he told me stuck.

The right side represents the strong side; or in this case the sword arm. As a young, dumb recruit I thought that was about the tightest thing ever. He wasn't my drill instructor and I wish I could remember his name.

Merry Christmas to all! Semper Fi, God Bless and Godspeed.

Wyoming
12-15-08, 11:29 AM
Have your Dad fly the Flag proudly.

As far as the SOS, there several good recipes on this site.

Enjoy.

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 11:41 AM
Have your Dad fly the Flag proudly.

As far as the SOS, there several good recipes on this site.

Enjoy.

Thanks; there's a chit ton and I'm going through them. You could make a recipe book for just SOS. There probably already is.