PDA

View Full Version : Drill Instructors I need your help....

mgkusmc
12-15-08, 03:21 AM
Okay having been out of boot for over 2 years now I need help in finding something.

I am looking for a copy of the speech the Senior Drill Instructor gives on the first day they pick up their platoon.

The two phrases I distinctly remember from it are

" I am (insert rank and name) your Senior Drill Instructor assisting me in my duties are Drill Instructor (insert name and rank) and Drill Instructor (insert name and rank)"

and the other phrase is...

"I will not give up on you, even have you have given up on yourselves"

I am looking for a copy of it not only to read all the way through but my mother wants a copy for a scrapbook she is making.

Any help would be appreciated.

Enigmatic
12-15-08, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw the whole thing in that book Making the Corps by Thomas Ricks. I bought it before I went to boot camp like 5 years ago but I can't find it right now. You would think it'd be all over the internet, considering it's one of those speeches that few who hear it ever forget.

Ed Palmer
12-15-08, 11:19 AM
Creed On The Drill Instructor's Monument At MCRD-SD

Dedication / Leadership / Integrity

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
DRILL INSTRUCTOR CREED

THESE RECRUITS ARE ENTRUSTED TO MY CARE.
I WILL TRAIN THEM TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY.
I WILL DEVELOP THEM INTO SMARTLY DISCIPLINED.
PHYSICALLY FIT BASICALLY TRAINED MARINES,
THOROUGHLY INDOCTRINATED IN LOVE OF THE CORPS
AND COUNTRY. I WILL DEMAND OF THEM AND DEMONSTRATE BY MY OWN PERSONAL EXAMPLE.
THE HIGHEST STANDARDS OF PERSONAL CONDUCT,
MORALITY AND PROFESSIONAL SKILL.

Ed Palmer
12-15-08, 11:24 AM
Off subject but interesting for the New guys <br />
I was looking for something else and ran across this and it took me back 50 some odd years and I found it very interesting so enjoy it. <br />
Ed Palmer <br />

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 11:27 AM
I thought that part about receiving drill instructors getting stuck on receiving duty was crap. I was always lead to believe that drill instructors go on quota and work a billet like that.

usmc0331
12-15-08, 09:57 PM
no ten miles humps?

we did a 3 5 and ten mile

Quinbo
12-15-08, 10:53 PM
You will walk don't run ... san onefre beach .... freakin tighten it up ... tighten it up. I've seen snails move faster than you ... get up there. Ankle deep in sand sweat pouring off of you

usmc0331
12-15-08, 10:54 PM
tighten it up "aye sir" over and over and over and over lol

Petz
12-16-08, 01:29 AM
san onefre.... we ran from las pulgas to san onefre once... unless you count running back a second time.

BR34
12-16-08, 04:16 PM
God I love this...I can't wait till I have the opportunity to become a Drill Instructor.

Zulu 36
12-16-08, 04:41 PM
I thought that part about receiving drill instructors getting stuck on receiving duty was crap. I was always lead to believe that drill instructors go on quota and work a billet like that.

When I went through Receiving Barracks in 1971, our Receiving DI told us that he and the other RB drill instructors were assigned there as a break from running regular platoons for a month or so. I have no reason to doubt him, especially now after seeing what regular platoon DIs have to do for a living.

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 05:18 PM
When I went through Receiving Barracks in 1971, our Receiving DI told us that he and the other RB drill instructors were assigned there as a break from running regular platoons for a month or so. I have no reason to doubt him, especially now after seeing what regular platoon DIs have to do for a living.

Exactly my point, Sgt. It's not a punishment; it's a break from the 24/7 for three months straight.

usmc0331
12-16-08, 06:31 PM
God I love this...I can't wait till I have the opportunity to become a Drill Instructor.

I wish I could turn back time and do it. My cousins best friend who is a decorated recon marine just graduated DI school and is on his first cycle. Motivating as hell...good luck devil dog!

MUSTANG0369
12-16-08, 07:07 PM
Its not a punishment, but let me asssure you that if you are good you still push regular cycles.....6 green, 2 SDI, and 2 ser gysgt..no breaks, or quota......some at receiving needed a break, and some were not so hot. same with MRP, PCP, and RSP. then if you could swim you went to the pool.

Petz
12-17-08, 02:41 AM
sir, can I ask you... did the other boot lueies get intimidated by your stack? I really have to know. Semper Mustangs!

MUSTANG0369
12-17-08, 04:09 AM
its not like that at all.....if they did i never knew it.

Petz
12-18-08, 01:18 AM
ok, another question... did the SNCOs take it a bit easier on you... uh well the yelling part... or did you get it harder because of you DI ribbon?

MUSTANG0369
12-18-08, 11:45 AM
Take it easier, no. They never see you in a service uniform the whole time you are at OCS. I knew a lot of them and they gave me just as much hate and discontent as I gave them.

Kylef4i
12-19-08, 02:00 PM
Okay having been out of boot for over 2 years now I need help in finding something.

I am looking for a copy of the speech the Senior Drill Instructor gives on the first day they pick up their platoon.

The two phrases I distinctly remember from it are

" I am (insert rank and name) your Senior Drill Instructor assisting me in my duties are Drill Instructor (insert name and rank) and Drill Instructor (insert name and rank)"

and the other phrase is...

"I will not give up on you, even have you have given up on yourselves"

I am looking for a copy of it not only to read all the way through but my mother wants a copy for a scrapbook she is making.

Any help would be appreciated.

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR CREED

These are my recruits. I will train them to the best of my ability. I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and country. I will demand of them, and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality, and professional skill.

THE FIRST WORDS THAT YOU WILL HEAR FROM YOUR SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR

My name is (Rank/Name). I am your Senior Drill Instructor. I am assisted in my duties by: (Rank/Name) and (Rank/Name). Our mission is to train each one of you to become a United States Marine.

A Marine is characterized as one who possesses the highest military virtues. He obeys orders, respects his seniors, and strives constantly to be the best in everything he does. Discipline and spirit are the hallmarks of a Marine. Each of you can become a Marine if you develop discipline and spirit. We will give every effort to train you, even after some of you have given up on yourselves.

Starting now, you will treat me and all other Marines with the highest respect, for we have earned our places as Marines and will accept nothing less than that from you. We will treat you as we do our fellow Marines: with firmness, fairness, dignity and compassion. At no time will you be physically or verbally abused by any Marine or recruit. If anyone should abuse or mistreat you, I expect you to report such incidents immediately to me or one of my drill instructors. Further, if you believe that I have mistreated you, I expect you to report it to the series commander, (rank/name). My drill instructors and I will be with you every day, everywhere you go.

I have told you what my drill instructors and I will do for you. From you we expect the following:

- You must give 100% of yourself at all times.
- Obey all orders, instantly, willingly, and without question.
- Treat all Marines and recruits with courtesy and respect.
- You will not physically abuse or verbally threaten another Marine or recruit.
- Be completely honest in evrything you do. A Marine never lies, cheats, or compromises.
- Respect the rights and property of all others. A Marine never steals.
- You must work hard to strengthen you body.
- Be proud of yourself and the uniform you wear.
- Try your best to learn the things you will be taught.
- Above all else, never quit or give up.

We offer you the challenge of Recruit Training - - the opportunity to earn the title "United States Marine."

http://marineleatherneck.com/dilinks.htm

MicMarine
08-26-09, 03:13 PM
My name is Rank Name, and I am your Senior Drill Instructor. I am assisted in my duties by: Drill Instructor Rank Name, Drill Instructor Rank Name. Our m<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City>ission</ST1:p</st1:City> is to train each of you to become United States Marines. A Marine is characterized by one who possesses the highest of military virtue. He obeys orders, respects his seniors, and strives constantly, to be the best at everything he does. Discipline and spirit are the hallmark of a Marine. These qualities are your goals of your training here. Every Recruit here, whether you are tall or short, fast or slow, fat or skinny can become a Marine, if you developed spirit and self discipline. We will give every effort to train you, even after some of you have given up on yourselves. Starting now, you will treat me and all Marines with the highest respect, obey all orders without question, because we have earned our place as Marines, and we will except nothing less than that from you. I will treat you as I do my fellow Marine, with firmness, fairness, dignity, and compassion. At no time will you to be physical or verbally abuse by any Marine or Recruit. I will not tolerate such behavior from a Marine or Recruit. If anyone should abuse or harass you, you will report those incidents to me. Further, if you feel I have mistreated you, you report such incidents to the Series Commander Lt Useless. From this point forward my Drill Instructors and I will be with you everyday, everywhere you go. Now, I have told you what my Drill Instructors and I will do for you. Here is what we demand of you: Give 100% of your self at all times. Obey all orders, quickly, willingly and without question. Treat all Marines and Recruits with courtesy and respect. At no time will you verbally or physically abuse another Marine or Recruit. Be completely honest in everything you do. Marines never lye, cheat, or compromises. Respect the rights and property of others, Marines never steals. You must work hard to strengthen your body. Be proud of yourself and the uniform that you wear. Try your best to learn the things that you are taught, because everything we teach you in important, and must be remembered. Above all else you will never quit and you will never give up. For we offer you the challenge of Recruit Training, and chance to earn the title of United States Marine. :evilgrin:

ridingcrops
09-14-09, 11:54 PM
WOW Ed Palmer, how can you remember all that and in real time? I remeber all of it but I couldn't give you which week or anything. I remember being held after graduation for a Congressional investigation. Seems like a guy from Oklahoma named O'neil wrote to mommy and daddy he had been beaten up the first night he arrived. He only got slapped in the back of the head but it was enough for them to write their congressman. Abd they held us for 2 more week after training with nothing to do and had to keep the Drill Instructors there too. They wouold always ask who hit harder the GSgt or one of the SSgts and we always had some dummy say "You do Sir" which would bring another slug.
Finally got to ITR at Pendelton and had the rare priviledge to meet a fat slob called SSgt Odum. I guess he wanted to be the first fat Drill Instructor because he would make us all stand at attention when he came in. He was the only one and thought he had us back at boot.
We were going to the top of Old Smokey for training one day and as we were leaving we pass the fat guy on our way down. He was so fat he couldn't make it to the top and we spent most of the day there. Last I heard they put him out before his 20 because he couldn't cut it and wouldn't loose the weight.

MontezumaCpl
09-15-09, 11:22 PM
Ooh-rah! Motivating Read here!

Proud and Loud!

Semper Fi!

JoshNoble1992
09-16-09, 11:25 AM

I mean no disrespect,but HOOYAH? Really,this isnt the Army its OORAH.

LetUsNvr4Get
03-05-10, 09:44 AM
Blue book of knowledge? When i went through it was known as the "Green Monster". what happened to that ?

bwmarines18
03-26-10, 11:53 PM
My name is (RANK NAME) i am your senior drill instructor, im assisted in my duties by Drill Instructors (rank name), our mission is to train you to become a US Marine. A marine is characterized as someone who posseses only the highest of military virtues, he obeys orders and respects his seniors he also strives constantly to be the very best in everything he does. DISCIPLINE AND SPIRIT are the hallmarks of a US Marine, each and everyone one of you can become a Marine if you develop discipline and spirit. We will give every effort to train you even if you have given up on yourselves, starting right now you will treat me and all my other marines with the highest of respect for we have earned our place as marines and will expect nothing less than that from you. we will treat you as we do our fellow marines, with fairness firmness dignity and compassion. AT NO TIME will you be physically or verbally abused by any marine or recruit. Should someone abuse or mistreat you I expect you to report it to me or one of my Drill Instructors. Or if you feel I have mistreated you, I expect you to report it to your series commander (rank name). Starting now my Drill Instructors and me will be with you everyday and everywhere you go. Now I have told you what My Drill Instructors and I will do for you. FROM YOU we demand the following. You will give 100 percent of yourselves at all times, obey all orders quickly willingly and without questions. At no time will you physically or verbally abuse another marine or recruit, be completely honest in everything you do. Marines never lie cheat or compromise. Respect the rights and properties of others, Marines never steal. You must work hard to strengthen your bodies, be proud of yourself and the uniform you wear. Try your best to learn the things your taught, above all else you will NEVER QUIT AND YOU WILL NEVER GIVE UP. For we offer you the challenge in recruit training, the opportunity to earn the title US Marine.

duragliter
03-27-10, 08:09 AM
And right after the speech, all hell breaks loose... <br />
<br />
It might be an important addendum to add at the end of the speech in your &quot;I Love Me&quot; book... <br />
<br />
SDI turns to the Drill Instructors and says: ...

Old Marine
03-27-10, 09:29 AM
When I was on the field we never had such a speech. Each and every SDI had his own words to prepare the recruits for their tour at recruit training. Some Drill Instructors who have earned a break work in Battalion offices or Regimental offices along with working in the various STB areas. Being a Receiving Barracks was never a form of punishment.

duragliter
03-27-10, 09:36 AM
OUCH!

Yeah but, when you were a Drill Instructor, Sarge, recriuts were still qualifying with flintlocks...

:)

1980: "The Speech" was a mandatory item at pick-up. The SDI had to recite it verbatum and by memory.

Old Marine
03-27-10, 10:04 AM
Take it easier, no. They never see you in a service uniform the whole time you are at OCS. I knew a lot of them and they gave me just as much hate and discontent as I gave them.

Do you belong to the West Coast Drill Instructor Association? If not, shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with the powers to be and you can join in the festivities. You never know who you will meet at our functions.:evilgrin:

rlbarry
03-29-10, 08:27 PM
reply to ed palmers post.compared to Parris Island 1954 sounds like he was checking into daycare.

MUSTANG0369
03-29-10, 09:57 PM
Do you belong to the West Coast Drill Instructor Association? If not, shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with the powers to be and you can join in the festivities. You never know who you will meet at our functions.:evilgrin:
Old Marine, sorry for the late reply been running ragged the past few months. I have let my subscription to the DI Association west run out. I was the quartermaster in 2002 and 2003 when we just lost the building and Col Wagner spoke at the dinner at the Red Lion in Hotel Circle in San Diego. You are right between Sgt Maj Paxton, and the occasional R. Lee interactions you can never know who you will bump into.