PDA

View Full Version : Deployments to Afghan?

Jeran
12-14-08, 05:57 PM
Before all I didn't know if this was where I should post, I apologize if it's the wrong area and where do I post such questions in this state?

I know it's not really a question a Recruiter could answer. Since I'm sure they are not such informed on the deployments or status of those sort of things. Or maybe the one I'm speaking to is claiming he doesn't know.

My question is (I am enlisted now as a 0311 working on a ship date), come March or April are all new Fleets(Units?) deploying to Afghanistan oppose to Iraq anymore?

Could anyone with knowledge on the matter confirm this? I am only wondering where I will be sent.

My Recruiter himself stated and I quote, "I wouldn't want to do another deployment in Afghanistan".

PaidinBlood
12-14-08, 06:25 PM
I saw (in person) the Commandant say we are done with Iraq. Can't remember which Bn will be the last, but for sure it won't affect you. Having said that, the winds of war are volatile and nothing is for sure. More than once in the past we thought Iraq was all sewn up, only to come unraveled. In short, plan on Afghan, but there is NO telling where you will be needed; there is just no point in even trying to forecast that. Besides if in your heart you want to be a grunt, does it really matter where?

s/f and good luck, bro

PaidinBlood
12-14-08, 06:27 PM
100% Grade A scuttlebutt, chief. Even if he has 4 stars. And don't worry about your recruiter's deployment to Afghan-yours will be way different. Think about it-we have been there 7 years...

Jeran
12-14-08, 08:05 PM
Thank you for your reply PiB.

You are right, what does it matter. In my heart 100% grunt spirit, couldn't see any other MOS appealing.

Thanks again.

0231Marine
12-15-08, 07:15 AM
First of all, where is Afghan? I've heard of Afghanistan but not Afghan...unless you mean a blanket?

Secondly...
More than once in the past we thought Iraq was all sewn up, only to come unraveled.

When did this happen? When did anyone think that Iraq was complete?

Finally, don't worry about if you're going to Afghanistan or Iraq. Both countries suck equally. Realistically, you'll probably go to Afghanistan but keep in mind that we are not pulling out of Iraq completely for a very long time. The insurgents that we are fighting are very resiliant and are able to cross borders that we cannot. This means that the fight can always change and we may end up back in Iraq somewhere down the road. You'll get in the fight eventually kid. There are always wars to be fought and the Marine Corps isn't going anywhere.

PaidinBlood
12-15-08, 08:24 AM
First of all, where is Afghan? I've heard of Afghanistan but not Afghan...unless you mean a blanket?

I dunno; I've heard it Afghan or (less commonly) just "The Ghan"

Secondly...
When did this happen? When did anyone think that Iraq was complete?

You are right. Not complete, but we certainly were making more progress at certain times. Both bombings of the al-Askari mosque were major setbacks. While I was in country and remember a reaction to the '06 attack, the 2007 bombing, while creating less casualties had a much different political fallout.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Al-Askari_Mosque_2006.jpg

Finally, don't worry about if you're going to Afghanistan or Iraq. Both countries suck equally.
Exactly.

Mindgame
12-15-08, 12:08 PM
There is no way in knowing where you'll end up yet. You won't know until you get put with a unit, and even that word can change in a second So don't ever count on anything unless your on your two feet standing there. People are needed everywhere, there could be a chance that you never even see one of those country's.

Accord
12-15-08, 04:03 PM
It's pretty easy to know where you'll end up depending on what unit you go to. II MEF just took over control of Anbar province, that means every II MEF unit minus a few RCT's and whatnot here and there are going on a skate deployment to Camp Cupcake where you'll lift weights everyday and dick around on the internet.

The commandant does not control our deployments, he can't just divert every Marine unit to Afghanistan. That's decided by the DoD, SECDEF, and a bunch of people above my pay grade and above the commandants pay grade. It's just what he wants to happen.

You better hope you don't go to Iraq on your first deployment right now, because you're going to come back without seeing any action and you'll still be a boot despite being in for 2+ years. You don't want that.

Achped
12-16-08, 12:48 AM
It's pretty easy to know where you'll end up depending on what unit you go to. II MEF just took over control of Anbar province, that means every II MEF unit minus a few RCT's and whatnot here and there are going on a skate deployment to Camp Cupcake where you'll lift weights everyday and dick around on the internet.

You better hope you don't go to Iraq on your first deployment right now, because you're going to come back without seeing any action and you'll still be a boot despite being in for 2+ years. You don't want that.

Hey! I resent that, the heater hasn't worked for a few days and I am freezing my ass off while I am dicking around on the internet! I only get to make 3 or 4 phone calls home a day.

...and I was upset when the Marine Corps changed my MOS...ha. This is semper skate!

Petz
12-16-08, 01:24 AM
I couldn't help but notice none of you boot asses thought about OPSEC... ( I almost wrote OPSEX...haha) this is someone who is not in the Corps yet and you're talking about stuff the commendant said to Marines and info you all know from military sources. Think before you post **** on the internet, 'cause you guys can't delete these posts.

yut and semper don't-think-I-was-hard-on-your-bitcch-assess-other-wise-I'll-think-you're-a-girl

Achped and 0231, I know you're not a boots, but you should have stepped on their throats about this already.

achped, did you get promoted?????

0231Marine
12-16-08, 07:22 AM
SSgt,

I don't think anything that has been said in here isn't something you can't find out by either watching the evening news or going to usmc.mil. They post the unit deployments on there just as they do in the Marine Corps Times. However, I understand what you're getting at and I agree that we should atleast revise our posts before publishing them to ensure nothing is getting sent out that shouldn't.

PaidinBlood
12-16-08, 08:18 AM
I couldn't help but notice none of you boot asses thought about OPSEC... ( I almost wrote OPSEX...haha) this is someone who is not in the Corps yet and you're talking about stuff the commendant said to Marines and info you all know from military sources. Think before you post **** on the internet, 'cause you guys can't delete these posts.

yut and semper don't-think-I-was-hard-on-your-bitcch-assess-other-wise-I'll-think-you're-a-girl

Achped and 0231, I know you're not a boots, but you should have stepped on their throats about this already.

SSgt, I do see your point and the need for OPSEC but the Commandant's remarks are public record and are always bounced around the newspapers. Marines speculating and guessing and talking out of our asses probably keeps the enemy off guard anyway. We're all boots to somebody 'til we get out, but I've been to enough OPSEC briefs and worked enough things to know what I can and can't discuss. I remember calling from Iraq and being afraid to even confirm what city I was in, only to have COMPLETE STRANGERS mail me articles about myself which they found on the internet, listing my organization down to the squad. I've also seen enough colossal blunders to know it can go wrong, so if one of us has a complete brain fart and posts something sensitive, please bring it up to a mod so it can get scratched quickly. I've noticed that these forums come up near the top of Google results frequently, so the odds of an outsider viewing them are high.

s/f
:usmc:

ps-The Golden Mosque info and pic were from Wikipedia :beer:

PaidinBlood
12-16-08, 08:21 AM
I couldn't help but notice none of you boot asses thought about OPSEC...

Accord, I guess he was talking to you, then.. :D Process of elimination, brother!

Petz
12-16-08, 12:29 PM
haha, you guys crack me up.

I'm glad you guys took my ribbing a bit on the serious side, OPSEC is serious, but I thought when I mentioned the OPSEX thing you would have figured I'm messing with you guys... freakin daggon stinkin boots... haha.

well then, carry on.

Accord
12-16-08, 07:45 PM

Nothing I posted is a violation of OPSEC. I don't know about you, but I got all the information I posted about Marines' deployment schedules to Afghanistan as well as the II MEF taking over Anbar province from the Marine Times, a civilian publication.

And i'm not a boot, i've seen more in 2 years than most see in 20.

Petz
12-17-08, 02:39 AM
oookay, so you're saying 'cause you got a car and that blue ribbon (reserve mobilization???) that you've seen more than me and 0231??? I don't care if you've been two years or 7... if it's less than me, you're a boot.

I am a boot to anyone who has more time than me... it's a un-official pecking order, if you don't like it then you need thicker skin.

I think everyone else on this thread kinda likes it, 'cause even though I call you all boots, you can all call someone with a month less time than you a boot as well and not mean anything demeaning by it... I would almost go so far as to say it's mocking the system of seniority.

fvcking deal with it guy.

PaidinBlood
12-17-08, 02:56 AM
I doubt 0231 would lump himself in with you, SSgt; he's out, makin' bank and probably doesn't care who is his boot..... I could always be wrong... :scared:

I don't think I'm salty but I don't think it's all that funny when you call everyone boots. I'm not offended but I wouldn't say I "enjoy it". With John and I out, I suppose it's all up to our favorite 02....

Petz
12-17-08, 03:09 AM
soooo, what you saying is that you didn't do it in a joking manner?

well then I'll write it in the sand for anyone who is confused... I'm not attempting to disrespect anyone, nor was it my intention to make anyone get offended by my lax use of calling junior Marines boots.

I suppose each new group of Marines has their own personality... if you all feel strongly about that I would suspect you don't like being called devil dog either...???

as a primary point, I apologize to those whose physique was damaged by my joking.

and paid, I think you missed my point of the the hierarchy of seniority being a joke...

PaidinBlood
12-17-08, 03:17 AM
Suppose there IS one language we all speak clearly, and without nuance... Goes a little like this: beer, cerveza, birra, بيرٌة, etc. :beer:

soooo, what you saying is that you didn't do it in a joking manner?

well then I'll write it in the sand for anyone who is confused... I'm not attempting to disrespect anyone, nor was it my intention to make anyone get offended by my lax use of calling junior Marines boots.

I suppose each new group of Marines has their own personality... if you all feel strongly about that I would suspect you don't like being called devil dog either...???

as a primary point, I apologize to those whose physique was damaged by my joking.

and paid, I think you missed my point of the the hierarchy of seniority being a joke...

Petz
12-17-08, 03:32 AM
my second language would say it like this

ベエル

おいしな!

and for the record I didn't mean physique.. my spell check makes me sound gay...

Psyche is what I meant to say.

Jeran
12-17-08, 03:41 AM
Just to break the tension a little, what is Semper Skate? Always skating?

PaidinBlood
12-17-08, 03:55 AM
Just to break the tension a little, what is Semper Skate? Always skating?

Take it how you want, boss. If it's in the cards for you to understand it one fine day, you will... :cool:

ps-this ain't tension.. you'll know that one day, too

0231Marine
12-17-08, 07:42 AM
I doubt 0231 would lump himself in with you, SSgt; he's out, makin' bank and probably doesn't care who is his boot..... I could always be wrong... :scared:

I don't think I'm salty but I don't think it's all that funny when you call everyone boots. I'm not offended but I wouldn't say I "enjoy it". With John and I out, I suppose it's all up to our favorite 02....

LOL...thanks for pulling me into this :)

Honestly, I don't mind being called boot and I know I've done my fare share of degrading junior Marines while I was in because I think it builds character and thick skin as a newly minted fleet Marine. SSgt, you could call me Nancy and I wouldn't care, mainly because you're a SSgt and I'm a Cpl and I know you've been there and done that, same as me. I've always believed that rank has it's priveledges and I'd be happy to share a beer with any of the Marines on this site regardless of their bootness or not. I'll even buy since apparently I'm making bank...lol

Funny story about this though...Two weeks before my last Marine Corps ball, we had a new Sgt check in to our unit. Now this Sgt had gone from Boot Camp to Intel School to DLI and then to our unit. He was promoted to Cpl meritoriously and the Sgt scored dropped way down for one month and he had the exact score so he was a Sgt for a week before he even hit the fleet. Anyways, we had our Marines bring in their blues to have them inspected before the ball so everyone was squared away and the whole time this Sgt was telling us Cpl's about how the Marine Corps is and how he couldn't wait to go on his FIRST deployment and how he learned so much in Intel School and that he could run circles around us regarding our job.

So Cpl 0231Marine doesn't like this to much and tells the Sgt that it would do him well to listen and not talk so much until he actually learned his job and so he lets out this nugget of wisdom, "I'm a Sgt and you will respect that because you are a Cpl and you haven't done anything to rate my respect." So I go downstairs and get my blues and bring them up and hang them next to his (with his firewatch ribbon) and just watched the color drain from his face. I said, "Sgt, is there anything else you'd like to teach me about the things I haven't done yet to earn your respect?" He said, "No Cpl, and walked away."

So in my opinion, rank doesn't mean right but I'll respect it until you make an ass out of yourself.

rvillac2
12-17-08, 08:22 AM
So Cpl 0231Marine doesn't like this to much and tells the Sgt that it would do him well to listen and not talk so much until he actually learned his job and so he lets out this nugget of wisdom, "I'm a Sgt and you will respect that because you are a Cpl and you haven't done anything to rate my respect." So I go downstairs and get my blues and bring them up and hang them next to his (with his firewatch ribbon) and just watched the color drain from his face. I said, "Sgt, is there anything else you'd like to teach me about the things I haven't done yet to earn your respect?" He said, "No Cpl, and walked away."

Now, that's funny right there.

Petz
12-17-08, 11:52 AM
yes, yes it was....hahahaa... yet another reason why I HATE meritorious Marines.

I fought tooth and nail for what I got...well actually I think I lucked out on Staff but I'm not complaining.