PDA

View Full Version : My Marine headed to 2/2

bucksgted
12-13-08, 10:27 PM
Just got off the phone with my Marine. He found out today he will be heading to CLNC on 12/19. He contracted 0311 and then was voluntold at Pendelton he was going to be 0341. He graduates from SOI 12/18. Told me he busted his arshe to get the East Coast. Looks like it paid off for him.

I went to his boot graduation in Sept. CLNC is a heck of a lot closer and I can drive that in approx 12 hours.

I'm so excited I just had to tell you Brothers and Sisters. :yes:Looking like I may even get to see him for Christmas.:yes:

Semper Fidelis, Marines!!

yellowwing
12-13-08, 10:32 PM
Good to hear! Mortars? Wow

DocGreek
12-13-08, 10:40 PM
Sarge....best of luck to your MARINE son!!....SEMPER FI....Doc Greek

Big Jim
12-13-08, 10:43 PM
That's awsome, my friend!! May you all have a very Merry Christmas...and SEMPER FI...!!

bucksgted
12-13-08, 10:45 PM
Good to hear! Mortars? Wow

Wing, he was so pumped tonight. Said he has been having "a ball" in SOI. His best time in setting up was 57 sec and his worse was 1min 15 sec. When I ask him why the difference in time he replied "Equipment". Said the short time was with fairly new stuff and not sloppy.

He has some old high school buds from when he lived here that are at Lejeune. He's looking forward to seeing them as well. His "best" bud just returned from Iraq in late November.

All he knows now is he is going to 2/2. Doesn't really know anything else. His Sgt instructor told him that if he was to place a bet - - it would be he'll end up with the 0311's humping a 60mm. Chris' attitude is outstanding - -said whatever job the Corps wants to give him, he'll do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission. My kind of Marine!!

bucksgted
12-13-08, 10:51 PM
Sarge....best of luck to your MARINE son!!....SEMPER FI....Doc Greek

Doc, thanks for your comments. A little background; Chris is like a son, a grandson and a Marine Brother. He lived with us for most of his young life. Long story short: the courts put him in our house. Chris is actually a nephew, raised like a son/grandson.

Can't imagine where he ever got the idea to be a Marine.:D

davblay
12-13-08, 11:15 PM
Chris is gonna be the Marine we all hoped he would be! I am happy he is gonna be close for ya. :marine:

Semper Fi,

Dave

bucksgted
12-13-08, 11:33 PM
Thank you all for your replies!! I am really proud of Chris and eager to see him soon. His buds at Lejeune will help keep him on the right path. One will soon pick up Sgt and the other Cpl. When I ask him how he's gonna react to his old hunting buds outranking him he said they earned it. If I need my ass kicked, they'll do it.:cool:

Osotogary
12-14-08, 12:02 AM
bucksgted,
Congratulations to your son! He sure sounds like he has the attitude and aptitude to get his Marine Corps commitments off on the right foot. All the best to him. Like father, like son?

Phantom Blooper
12-14-08, 05:32 AM
bucksgted

Good to go on the young warrior! If you need any liaison work done...let me know!

Semper-Fi!

Chuck Hall:evilgrin:

mcvet57103
12-14-08, 11:51 AM
Outstanding!!! Let him know we've got his back. Semper Fi

Accord
12-14-08, 11:03 PM
2/2 is a good unit, they JUST got back from Iraq so he'll be CONUS for a while and will get to go through a whole workup, i'm pretty sure most of the battalion is on postdeployment leave right now. Since he's going to 2/2, that means he'll probably be in Afghanistan this summer.

...And they have the best chowhall on Lejeune.

nptwildcat
12-15-08, 07:58 AM
That's Outstanding! Here's hoping for Christmas with your young Marine.

Eric Hood
12-15-08, 03:46 PM
That's my old unit. OOH-RAH!
Eric

bucksgted
12-16-08, 10:13 PM
UPDATE: Latest News

:yes:HEAR YE, HEAR YE!!!:yes:

Just got off the phone with Chris - - his unit isn't picking up until 1/05/09. He will have time off from 12/19/08 till 1/05/09. Don't try to tell me there isn't a Santa Claus (I don't care if he does wear S/Sgt Stripes at SOI West).

He will be in Texarkana at 2100, 12/20/08. We will leave him alone for Christmas and then drive there around the 28th or 29th!! (Can't interfere with his girlfriend's time with her Marine)

BTW, he told me he kicked butt on his hump (I think it was a 20K).

OOOH RAAAH

FistFu68
12-16-08, 11:33 PM
:evilgrin: GOD~SPEED 2 YOUR SON~HUMPING IS SOMETHING THAT IS A MARINE GRUNTS SPECIALITY IN MORE THAN 1 WAY(LOL)S/F :evilgrin::iwo:

Seyborg
12-19-08, 08:07 PM
Hey Sgt.

I also joined a battalion as a weapons guy, right in the middle of post deployment leave.

Have your son contact me sometime via email or w/e.

He's gonna hate these coming weeks, if it's anything like 3/6.

He seems to have an excellent attitude though, it might not bother him.

I'm here if he needs help or maybe a ride on/off base. One boot to the other. :marine:

Dueces.

AggieMoll
12-31-08, 02:13 PM
Im currently stationed with 2/2 in Echo Company and we leave for Afghanistan or Iraq it hasn't been made official yet in Sept. Its a tough unit so far being a boot an all but the Senior Lcpl's know there stuff so it will be all good.

fs19
12-31-08, 02:23 PM
Was he in Charlie Company? If so I graduated with him.

jetdawgg
12-31-08, 04:33 PM
That's my brother's old unit too Eric

Accord
12-31-08, 05:28 PM
Im currently stationed with 2/2 in Echo Company and we leave for Afghanistan or Iraq it hasn't been made official yet in Sept. Its a tough unit so far being a boot an all but the Senior Lcpl's know there stuff so it will be all good.

That's how every grunt battalion is bro, if you're a boot with 0 deployments expect to hate your life until you get back. Everyone thinks the BS is over because they just graduated bootcamp and SOI, little do they know it has only begun haha.

I'm one of only 15 senior guys in my company with combat experience who will be here for next deployment and we're getting a boot drop close to 200... should be fun.

Eric Hood
01-01-09, 08:37 AM
Hi Jetdawg!
Happy New Year! I never got to the bottom of this, when was your brother in 2/2? He can't be as old as me--48.
Semper Fi,
Eric

jetdawgg
01-01-09, 08:52 PM
Hi Jetdawg!
Happy New Year! I never got to the bottom of this, when was your brother in 2/2? He can't be as old as me--48.
Semper Fi,
Eric

He is:D

mgkusmc
01-01-09, 11:40 PM
That's how every grunt battalion is bro, if you're a boot with 0 deployments expect to hate your life until you get back. Everyone thinks the BS is over because they just graduated bootcamp and SOI, little do they know it has only begun haha.

I'm one of only 15 senior guys in my company with combat experience who will be here for next deployment and we're getting a boot drop close to 200... should be fun.

Haha I love the boots, at my first ever Marine Corps Ball while I was in SOI at Geiger, this Staff Sgt came walking up to me and looked at my National Defense ribbon and looked real close at it and sarcastically said "wow.....cool!" and then he pointed to his ribbon rack specifically his Iraq Campaign one and said "This one lets me drink at the VFW" and then he staggered off

This past years Marine Corps Ball I walked up to a fresh boot and did the same exact thing.:bunny:

Eric Hood
01-02-09, 07:39 AM
When was he in 2/2?