PDA

View Full Version : Document name?

chels07
12-13-08, 03:09 PM
Hey Marines,
My recruiter is busy today, and I just have a quick question (I tried searching but maybe couldn't phrase it right). I can't seem to recall the name of the document that releases recruits from contracts (like cell phones and etc.) ? If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I recently moved out of my rented house to move my belongings back home. I tried to explain to my landlord that my contract would be 'void' since I am leaving for boot camp, but he's insisting no such document exists, although I know my recruiter told me I would not be responsible for paying rent for the months I am gone.
Thanks again,
Chelsea

Wyoming
12-13-08, 05:24 PM
I dunno what your reqruiter told you but methinks you and your landlord should have had a long talk before this.

Troy00690
12-13-08, 05:38 PM
I always thought that you could break a lease with orders. It worked for some friends that lived in Carlsbad. Did a quick search on google and you need to have the military housing clause in there, but since you are leaving for boot and not in already active it will not be in there.
Here is the search that I found. It could also be different depending on the state that you are in.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GWYE_en&q=military+housing+clause&btnG=Search

rvillac2
12-13-08, 06:30 PM
There is no form or document for poolees. You are breaking your lease. However, the landlord would have to sue you and after you enter bootcamp, you'll be protected by SSCRA. He will likely find out that it would be too much of a hassle to pursue you for the balance of your lease.

ecfree
12-13-08, 08:55 PM
Hey Chelsea,maybe you could get on with Judge Judy....:D

TMM54
12-13-08, 09:54 PM
You can break the lease and move out, but if you remain living there, with your belongings still there, you will have to pay the monthly rent. You can break the lease, to my knowledge, but you have to move your gear out.
Best thing to do is talk to the landlord like a gentlemen, and make an agreement. You are moving because you are going into the Marine Corps, and the landlord will most likely be very supportive.

However, what I read in your words is that "I don't have to pay you because I am a Marine". That kind of thinking will get you a lot of trouble in the future.

Be a gentlemen. Someday you may be a landlord and guess how you will be treated? Just like you treat your landlord now. Either honorably, or otherwise.

Life is choices.

Tom

ecfree
12-13-08, 10:01 PM
Hey Tom ,chels07 is a female,and good lookin also..:D

nightstalker2
12-13-08, 11:38 PM
pay 50% of the rent for the three months in boot camp and move on this will soften the blow of leaving him into cleaning and posting the apartment with no compensation.

oifvet23
12-14-08, 12:33 AM
when is your ship date

joecoul89
12-14-08, 01:42 PM
I don't know how this works with rent, but I know insurrance companies and cell phone companies will stop service to you while you are gone (for either boot or deployment) and when you get back they will start service again and you will start paying. That what I did when I went to boot, but I don't know how that would work with you and your landlord...

PaidinBlood
12-14-08, 02:39 PM
I don't know how this works with rent, but I know insurrance companies and cell phone companies will stop service to you while you are gone (for either boot or deployment) and when you get back they will start service again and you will start paying. That what I did when I went to boot, but I don't know how that would work with you and your landlord...

This is different because you are tying up a property and preventing him from collecting rent on it.

chels07
12-14-08, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Definitely helped out. To be clear, I was certainly not thinking that since I'm going into the Marines that makes me exempt, I just would have a few financial issues with the rent for the months that I am gone. To add a few details, it was a house with two other girls, who are going to continue to live there. I tried to find another person to move in but no luck. He had said he understood, but I don't know if there was a misunderstanding or something else because now he's acting like we never talked. He just mentioned that the military isn't an excuse (which I would never use it as) and that I need to continue paying rent. Just trying to clear things up. I paid rent for December, and leave January 14th. The lease is up April 30th. I have already moved everything back home..
Thanks for the input! And trust me, I'm trying oh so hard to handle this like a gentleman! ;) Just kidding!! Once again, I appreciate any and all feedback!
-Chelsea

0231Marine
12-15-08, 07:05 AM
Look up the "Soldiers and Sailors Act"

chels07
12-18-08, 12:41 AM
Thank you very much!! I appreciate it.

sscjoe
12-18-08, 01:20 PM
Hey Tom ,chels07 is a female,and good lookin also..:D

I'm an ole horndog(as Kim would say) so I had to take a peak. Oh to be young again.