PDA

View Full Version : Flynn Recognizes Top Marines

thedrifter
12-13-08, 06:36 AM
FLYNN RECOGNIZES TOP MARINES

By Lance Cpl. Skyler Tooker
Marine Corps Base Quantico

MCB QUANTICO, Va. -- The National Capital Region Marine and Noncommissioned Officer of the Year ceremony was held at Lejeune Hall on Nov. 21 to recognize the outstanding performance of the nominees over the past year.

Lt. Gen. George J. Flynn, commanding general of Marine Corps Combat Development Command, presented the NCO of the Year award to Sgt. Richard Smith, a scout sniper instructor assigned to Weapons Training Battalion here, and the Marine of the Year award to Lance Cpl. Colleen Welsh, a files clerk in the consolidated administration office at Henderson Hall.

‘‘To get Marine of the Year, I had to win Marine of the Quarter for my base, Henderson Hall,” said Welsh. ‘‘After that, I won MCCDC Marine of the Quarter, which is a requirement to be in the running for Marine of the Year. Then, I won the Marine of the Year board.”

Welsh, who works at Henderson Hall, was recognized for her top performance in the National Capital Region which brought her to Quantico to receive the Marine of the Year.

‘‘When you work up at the Pentagon and you have to deal with what goes on up there, sometimes you lose focus of what it is to be a Marine, but she is a performer,” Flynn said.

The room was filled with about 30 people to witness the two Marines receive medals and letters of appreciation from various organizations.

The Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal is awarded for meritorious service or achievement in either combat or noncombat based on sustained performance or specific achievement of a superlative nature but that does not warrant a Navy Commendation Medal or higher.

After receiving the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal and a plaque from MCCDC, both Marines expressed their appreciation and dedication to the Marine Corps and to everyone that helped them get where they are today.

‘‘If you put in hard work and dedication, the Marine Corps will reward you,” said Smith. ‘‘When working hard, other people notice — your peers, the Marines under you and your staff NCOs.”

The Marines went through a highly competitive selection process conducted by a board of sergeants major and master gunnery sergeants to earn the titles for their exemplary and highly professional performance of duties, Flynn explained.

‘‘I feel honored. I have only been in the Marine Corps for 11 months, and to win such a prestigious title after such a short time is really an accomplishment,” said Welsh. ‘‘I have kept up with my knowledge and my physical training in order to keep competing on these boards.”

Ellie