PDA

View Full Version : Why dont they use weights in bootcamp?

Gumby
12-13-08, 01:22 AM
How come in the military uses Calisthenics more than weights Cause when you use Calisthenics your using your body weight over and over again will you build muscle?why?Thanks

rvillac2
12-13-08, 03:12 AM
The goal in bootcamp is to build strength and endurance for military activities. Focused weight training doesn't do that. Carrying a 50 pound pack on a 10 mile hump does.

A great majority of Marines do weight training on their own after they hit the fleet. Others focus on long distance running and the PFT exercises. Others supplement their PFT exercises with martial arts training.

In boot, my Junior (buffed) brought in a bench and some weights. Our Senior (distance runner) wouldn't let anyone use them unless they were already pulling 20 and sittin 80.

BR34
12-13-08, 10:12 AM
We had dumbells in the squad bay. Not too useful though, since we could only use them on Sunday mornings for about 20 minutes, and we didn't get near the recommended daily amount of protein in our diet.

catorojr
12-13-08, 11:06 AM
We had some weights at boot, but in my opinion weight training is for target strengthening while body weight exercise are geared towards "functional strength". Body weight exercises do a better job of quickly and effectively building the muscle needed to do basic infantry tasks. Just as the Sgt said.

yellowwing
12-13-08, 11:48 AM
60-80 Recruits all using weights is impractical. How many weight benches would you need? Otherwise weight training would take all day.

Overall weight training is an individual effort. It goes against the Team Building aspect of MCRD.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-13-08, 12:23 PM
Weight training builds a different kind of muscle than is needed in the Marine Corps unless a very targeted and specific routine is followed. Kettle bell training would be of much more use than a traditional power lifting type of routine. Being strong for the sake of being strong is of little use. We're after something known as "functional strength" and body weight exercises are a great way to build that type of strength.

Take a look at some of the high speed guys across the world. They don't tend to look like body builders- there is a reason for that.

Gumby
12-13-08, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses

SGT7477
12-13-08, 06:41 PM
How come in the military uses Calisthenics more than weights Cause when you use Calisthenics your using your body weight over and over again will you build muscle?why?Thanks

Are you talking boot camp or in the fleet?:evilgrin:

Gumby
12-13-08, 07:53 PM
I guess kinda both

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-13-08, 08:10 PM
First, there is a gym on every base. When you hit the fleet you can lift all you want.

Body weight exercises can build muscle mass. People did it for years before gyms got popular and were available everywhere that was the only way some people had to lift. Men like Charles Atlas made a fortune selling programs to people that were nothing more than body weight exercises.

Gumby
12-13-08, 09:15 PM
O alright yea I just thought it would make you strong till a certain point cause your using your same weight everytime.What is functional strength anyway?

stein07
12-13-08, 09:49 PM
Another consideration is that in boot camp you learn how to PT without the luxury of fancy equipment. Later, if you are on ship or deployed, working out in this manner might be the only option you have.

Gumby
12-13-08, 10:22 PM
OOO yes Thanks

SlingerDun
12-13-08, 10:24 PM
How come in the military uses Calisthenics more than weightscalisthenics, circuit, obstacle course, hauling seabags, bucking bailed hay, hand loading trucks, wrastlin gators et cetera, these activities are dynamic "3. Marked by intensity and vigor; forceful. See Synonyms at active (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/active)."

For efficiency and intensity on the busy small unit level, sand pit or 1/4 deck thrashing lays waste to the static weight pile where guys gather around to flex and pose between sets

ZSKI
12-13-08, 10:39 PM
see those guys in jail that are huge well most jails don't have gyms they do that by callistentics

Gumby
12-13-08, 10:49 PM
OO yea I forgot about the prisons but I thought they have weights too.Thanks for all the responses

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-13-08, 11:38 PM
Functional strength is the strength you need to accomplish tasks while maintaining the flexibility and agility needed to perform.

Some prisons have weights, others do not. Depends on the state and the prison in question. More and more of them are getting rid of them. They don't see the need to build monsters that don't have anything better to do than see how strong they can get. In those cases, the inmates use their body weight. Burpees is a very popular exercise, and in many circles outside of prisons they are catching on.

You're correct, you are limited on how much weight you have to work with when doing body weight exercises. But, you're not limited on volume- you can perform as many repetitions and sets as you wish to perform. That builds strength and endurance. Again, as a Marine you don't need to be able to bench press 500 pounds. You do need to be able to move your body and to have a level of strength while being able to continue to perform well after most people would have quit.

NoRemorse
12-14-08, 12:10 AM
You can take calisthenics around everywhere you're going. In most cases there's less of a learning curve. I'm not talking about pushups vs. a biceps curl, I'm talking about pushups vs. a strict military press or overhead squat.

Didn't have time for that in boot. We had dumbbells too but our 3rd hat decided he'd rather have us scuzz the deck instead. You want to get strong? Get something you can do pull-ups off. The rest you can do on the deck.

As for kettlebells; I used to carry a few in the car before boot and would carry them into work. What was even more useful was the weight vest I had. It was designed for training firefighters and went up to 100 pounds fully loaded.

You want to get jacked and still be able to move; add about 50-75 pounds to your frame and keep it moving.