PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine is top combat instructor

thedrifter
12-12-08, 05:31 AM
Local Marine is top combat instructor
December 12, 2008 12:35 am

By RUSTY DENNEN

Marines go through combat-training courses to prepare for the real thing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Many have Staff Sgt. Stuart Drash to thank for knowing what to expect, and what to do when they're under fire.

Drash, 27, of Spotsylvania County knows a thing or two about combat and training. He has served three combat tours in Iraq, and last week was named the Marine Corps Combat Instructor of the Year.

He won the Corps-wide award, and the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, from Gen. James F. Amos, assistant commandant of the Marine Corps at Quantico.

Drash received the training himself after joining the Marine Reserve in 1999. He's home for the holidays from the School of Infantry (West) at Camp Pendleton, Calif. He went on active duty in 2004.

The combat school "was the foundation of everything about being a Marine," he said.

"If you're behind a desk in administration and you go to my school, you'll get those skills. If you have to go to the front lines, you'll know what to do. That separates us from the Army. Every Marine has to go through infantry training."

Combat training is a 29-day course in which entry-level Marines learn the basics of marksmanship, grenades, machine guns, improvised explosive devices, defending a position, convoy operations, combat formation, assaults, patrol, urban fighting, communications, intelligence, and land navigation.

Drash mastered all that and now teaches the instructors. Combat instruction is a "special duty" assignment, which also includes drill instructors, recruiters and embassy security guards.

"There's all kinds of skills involved and about midway through, we screen Marines to become mortar men, machine gunners and assault riflemen," he said.

Drash distinguished himself during his training stints in all aspects of combat preparation.

About a year ago, he was named noncommissioned officer of the quarter at the School of Infantry (West), and then combat instructor of the quarter. After that he was promoted to staff sergeant and received the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal and four other certificates of commendation.

In May, as a sergeant, he began training combat school instructors. "Usually, the instructors are a rank or two higher," Drash said.

Next, he was named instructor of the year at the School of Infantry (West).

Last week, he was invited to Quantico to compete with a Marine representing School of Infantry (East) for the top instructor award.

Drash says he's run into some of the Marines who have been through his course and returned from deployments.

"Guys will come up and say, 'Hey, you made it sound easier than it was.' They'll shake my hand and all that stuff."

Drash and his wife, Jennifer, have a home in Spotsylvania. The couple have one son, Connor, and another child on the way.

He says he'll continue combat training either in California, or at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and then will await orders for a new assignment.

After that, he laughed, "I'll be in the Marine Corps until they force me out, or I retire."

After graduating from Spotsylvania High School and joining the Marines, Drash was deployed to the Persian Gulf between March 2003 and August 2006.

During his first tour, he served on a two-man sniper team and as an infantry scout.

Military service runs in the family: His father served in the Navy and Marines, his sister and brother-in-law were both in the Navy.

After last week's ceremony, Quantico spokesman, 1st Lt. Patrick Boyce, said of the award, "These dedicated Marines strengthen the bedrock foundation of the warrior ethos laid in recruit training and ensure that 'every Marine a rifleman' continues to ring true."

Rusty Dennen: 540/374-5431
Email: rdennen@freelancestar.com

Ellie